The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » McGregor vs Mayweather (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, rowdymagi5 wrote:
They both posted some recent up to date videos showing them training. Mayweather on the bag was smooth and very fast....McGregor on the bag looked slow and awkward. This will be the first time McGregor has ever fought anyone faster than him.

Not only is he faster and more skilled than him, he's faster and more skilled than everybody who is faster and more skilled than him.
He is the best on planet earth.
In a boxing match, macgregor would be outskilled by any number of contenders- let alone one of the greatest ever. Nothing against macgregor, hes just not a boxer.
And now, for a dream payout, he is going into the ring with a pugilistic scientist. A PhD in balance, speed, accuracy, conditioning, defense, punching, counter attacking, finishing, strategy etc.
No contest
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
So what odds are you offering?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, rowdymagi5 wrote:
They both posted some recent up to date videos showing them training. Mayweather on the bag was smooth and very fast....McGregor on the bag looked slow and awkward. This will be the first time McGregor has ever fought anyone faster than him.

Not only is he faster and more skilled than him, he's faster and more skilled than everybody who is faster and more skilled than him.
He is the best on planet earth.
In a boxing match, macgregor would be outskilled by any number of contenders- let alone one of the greatest ever. Nothing against macgregor, hes just not a boxer.
And now, for a dream payout, he is going into the ring with a pugilistic scientist. A PhD in balance, speed, accuracy, conditioning, defense, punching, counter attacking, finishing, strategies etc.
No contest

Makes sense to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, landmark wrote:
So does McGregor get a re-match against Mayweather playing MMA rules? Seems like that would be the money thing to do. But I doubt Mayweather would agree to it.

At least McGregor HAS boxing skills. He does train to box some. Mayweather probably does not train to wrestle or kick. Expecting him to go to the other sport is just not realistic in any way. I think even the most supportive MMA fans would allow for this difference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, tommy wrote:

Tommy, don't tell me you were born every minute!?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, tommy wrote:

I would say...300-1?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Bet 1, win 300? I'd be happy to place a $10 bet with you.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'd definitely take McGregor at 300-1.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
At 300-1 you are approaching territory of betting on anyone. Actually you might be firmly IN that territory.

If my memory serves Tyson/Douglas only went off at 42-1 didn't it? I remember a big payday for my dad, who was talking up his downfall for the whole build up.

Certainly McGregor has a better shot than anyone gave Douglas doesn't he? Certainly not 7 or 8 times worse.

By the way I an not CLAIMING 42-1 as fact, it is memory and may be way off. So don't jump on me please.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
No. Douglas had a better chance because he was a boxer. He defeated other professional boxers to earn his title shot.
Macgregor is not a boxer, cannot box, nor (to my knowledge) has ever faced even a journeyman professional boxer.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
True, but my point was ONLY about the 300-1 shot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
300-1 may seem abnormal, but the action would be lively, and the payday would be sound.
Macgregor doesn't have even a remote chance.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
But thanks to the popularity of MMA, Macgregor gets to cash in on a fight he could never earn. Good for him I say. And good for Mayweather. Mayweather would never entertain pumelling this clown if it wasnt for a ridiculous pay day.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea even with how popular MMA is paydays like this are pretty much non existent.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The best odds on offer for McGregor over here are about 6/1

https://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/floyd......r/winner
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, rockwall wrote:
Bet 1, win 300? I'd be happy to place a $10 bet with you.

I was thinking like $500 - 1000 myself.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It seems to me a difficult event to price up sensibly. My gut instinct tells me 6/1 is too short and his chance of winning is more like 16/1. I would certainly take 300/1 because it gives me a lock. In gambling, a Dutch book or lock is a set of odds and bets which guarantee a profit, regardless of the outcome of the gamble.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Arbitrage.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
There would be about 12% profit in it I think.

300/1 = 0.3%
1/6 = 85.7%
50/1 = 2%
Total 88%

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2017, tommy wrote:
There would be about 12% profit in it I think.

300/1 = 0.3%
1/6 = 85.7%
50/1 = 2%
Total 88%

You can actually squeeze a bit more out of it. Let's say you split up $1000 like this:

$972 on Mayweather at 1/6
$4 on McGregor at 300/1
$24 on the draw at 50/1.

If Mayweather wins, you've got $162 in winnings minus $28, or $134, for a 13.4% return. This is your worst case scenario.

If McGregor wins, you cash 1200 and lose $996, for a profit of $204, or a 20.4% return.

Finallly, on a draw, you again cash $1200, but this time you lose just $976, for a $224 profit, or a 22.4% return.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » McGregor vs Mayweather (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL