The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Escape Room with a Christian Twist (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Some_Magical_Idiot
I am not sure where to post this but thought I would start here. I know this is a stretch and maybe too far out of scope for this type of board but I figure it can't hurt to ask. I have recently been turned on to the "escape room" fad and have done a few all over the East of the US. If you aren't aware, an "escape room" is essentially a scenario based activity where a group of participants are trying to figure out how to accomplish some goal (such as escape a room, or diffuse a bomb, or solve a mystery) within a specified time (45 minutes to an hour typically) through a series of challenges (such as puzzles). Usually a series of hints are available via a "game master" who monitors the group to ensure they are safe, non-destructive, and don't get frustrated. They are popping up all over the place and can vary GREATLY in quality. The best ones in my opinion completely immerse the participants in the theme through set up and props and game play (for lack of a better word). Recently there was talk about doing one for the kidsparents at church. I was curious if anyone had any ideas on how to put together an escape room with a Christian theme and marry my interest in magic with it as well. The use of Bible verses plays very well into combination locks that are user configurable for example. However, the theme was a bit of challenge because you don't want to step on any toes. Has anyone given this any thought or seen this done? (and to answer your question - no, you are not literally trapped in the room, that's illegal in the US). I have a few ideas but before I share I wanted to see what thoughts some of you might have. I can share more insights to the methodology if it helps. Thanks for your time!
Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Some_Magical_Idiot
It seems I am in uncharted territory. 😀
kellyon
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kellyon
That's true, escape room games are really entertaining. Last time I booked The Impossible Mission escape room at https://thequestfactory.com/escape-rooms/mission-impossible/ in LA. My friends were amuzed. Like to solve misteries.
Paul Budd
View Profile
Veteran user
It's a shame he's only made
351 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Well, this is a great question. I was marginally involved in an escape room operation located just east of Dallas, Texas some time back.....and I have a few comments. This one consisted of (essentially) 4 rooms -- one of which was little more than a closet.....with an extra space that was a sort of 'penalty' box kinda things. So, the 'Voice' could see them via video monitors and would talk to them via a speaker system, but the participants couldn't really talk back. The group had 1 hour to escape, period. They had a major 'puzzle' to solve for each room, just to get out of that room, into the next. If they moved too slowly, various monsters would be released. If a monster touched you, you had to go to the penalty box until the 'Voice' released you. The last room required them to physically handle A LOT OF STUFF....... jars, little bottles, small boxes, vials etc. etc. which would cause an electronic lock to physically release.

I would suggest this: please be careful, in terms of the 'cheese' factor......... church people are NOT SKILLED at self-criticism........just because you have 10 ideas, doesn't mean you can't throw 9 of them in the trash.

I think your idea has potential, just be careful that you don't cheapen the gospel..... (easier said than done, admittedly). Smile Smile Smile Smile
His face isn't really this long in-person!
New user
Black Forest Area, Germany
18 Posts

Profile of Joeni
Sounds like a great idea. I'd love to read how you're doing now with that project.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Escape Room with a Christian Twist (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL