The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Backslip - Do you use it? How? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KiwiMagicNZ
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of KiwiMagicNZ
Hey hey,

So I'm up to chapter 8 in Royal Road, the backslip. I'm getting fairly smooth with the action, and gradually reducing the noise. However, I can't quite work out how this should be performed? I've looked up a few different videos of it to see how people use it, and it looks really unnatural. If I do it with my hands in an even remotely natural position, the angles are terrible. How are you using it? Can anyone provide a link to a video where it's being performed naturally? I don't need a tutorial, just to see it being done and see where I'm going wrong. Otherwise can someone explain it?

Thanks!
mrbuffoonery
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of mrbuffoonery
Personally, I occasionally use it as a force. I used to use it all the time.

I'll describe it as a force:

Hold the cards as described in the book. However, with the left hand use your thumb to riffle down the edge/corner. The riffle should make it feel more natural. Invite the spectator to tell you to stop. Once you stop, do the backslip and in the same smooth motion take the removed packet and tap them on the pack in your left hand. This appears that you are squaring the removed packet and removes the sound issue. Even if you do not square the pack, the backslip shouldn't be seen if performed smoothly. They key is that the move should be performed in one fluid motion.
KiwiMagicNZ
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of KiwiMagicNZ
I was playing around with it last night and it's definitely getting smoother. I'll try out your tip regarding squaring up the deck, thanks!
Sentoki
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Sentoki
Personally, I love the Backslip as a force, I practiced to get it smooth and now I use it as my Go-To-Force. But you need to find techniques suiting your style and needs, so if you can't get along with the Backslip look for something else.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Backslip - Do you use it? How? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL