The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Moves to Love, Moves you Hate (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Would I be correct in thinking most coin jockies have both their favourite sleights, and one or two they prefer to avoid ? Well, I have a couple of sleights I absolutely love, the TransSwitch by Charlie Justice, and Doc R's ROPS (Retention Open Palm Steal), and two I have issues with: Han Ping Chien and the back clip! In my narrow minded point-of-view the HPC move rarely looks real, and for the life of me I cannot create a decent back clip! The latter is a matter of personal taste, the former is simply lack of talent on my part.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the HCP move, whether you use it regularly or not. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Cheers
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I don't do either move but for some those moves "work" fine.

Watch Slydini do his "coins through the table" for a mster doing Han Ping Chein and Sol Stone does great magic using the back clip.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
I have the same issues. I don't do much table work, so it's likely a question of practice for HPC. I think part of it may also be one of style. I was heavily influenced by Ponta the Smith and Eric Jones early on, so my style is a bit more fluid. It would feel out of character to be dropping/throwing coins all over the table.

I love the work that Lawrens Godon has done on back clip, but I have trouble managing angles during the transitions.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
R.O.P.S. Move by Rubinstein
Schneider Vanish by Al Schneider
Pop Up Move by Al Schneider

I don't think there are any moves I dislike just performances that are boring.

Use what ever moves that get the job done in an entertaining way.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
I really don't care for the Pop Up move. There are a couple way better looking alternatives

I also agree in general with what's been said on the HPC. But, like mavericklancer, I don't do much on the table so I haven't fully explored the move.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I like my own SwayOn sleight as part of dozens of different effects and thousands of uses since 1982. (not just for coins either)
of "standard" slights I like the Utility Switch/Pass in many variations.

I may the only one who doesn't like Spellbound as the finger position is very unnatural to me.
Can't do a Classic Palm because of crippled hands - not a dislike, just an avoidance.

Agree with Rick - I like what works and dislike forcing a routine around a sleight just because you like it.
So, I dislike ROV for the "vanish" inference. The move should never be used just to reveal a vanish. Use it as part of a larger move with a later reveal.
I like to use a flash as part of many sleights (rely on persistence of vision), but feel the focus on this as a Holy Grail is misplaced.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Moves to Love, Moves you Hate (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL