The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Exact change requirement (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tikidoll
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
7 Posts

Profile of Tikidoll
I'm interested in getting Exact Change by Gregory Wilson, but I'm not sure about the pocket requirements to use it. As a women who wears dresses most of the time, I don't often have pockets, and when I do, they are after shallow, pockets in a dress or a jacket. I know I need a pocket for the effect, but I'm curious about the depth of the pocket. Men's pants and jacket pockets probably have fewer variables! I'm sure I can make it work, but I'd like more info before dropping the $75!

Thanks!
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I haven't seen one of these in a while, but my recollection is that it was moderately bulky. Think the size of a deck of cards (maybe a little thicker but less long). However, you will want to be able to get your hand around it, so you'd want a pocket sufficiently baggy that your hand moving wouldn't be too noticeable.

I hope that helps.
Tikidoll
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
7 Posts

Profile of Tikidoll
Thanks!That does help! I haven't seen the gimmick but I have an idea of how big it is so I'll gauge my potential pockets based on what you've said. 😃

Quote:
On Aug 4, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:
I haven't seen one of these in a while, but my recollection is that it was moderately bulky. Think the size of a deck of cards (maybe a little thicker but less long). However, you will want to be able to get your hand around it, so you'd want a pocket sufficiently baggy that your hand moving wouldn't be too noticeable.

I hope that helps.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
The effect and gimmick are well worth getting - I have seen Greg kill with this at a moment's notice.

However, be aware there are a couple of great handling subtitles for the gimmick that you might not be able to use...though depending on the garment, you might be able to get creative...

First is the principle of the "Dead Space" in men's pants pockets - not sure if women's pockets are designed the same, so that may not be applicable.

Second is some pocket management getting the gimmick out of play by getting it to the rear pocket...which is moot if your clothing doesn't have any.

That said, it would be an interesting challenge to see how you could make it work with what you do have. PM me if you'd like to kick it around.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Not the size of a deck of cards, more like a box of Tic Tac mints.
Blessings
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Tikidoll
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
7 Posts

Profile of Tikidoll
This is useful! So you'd need another pocket to ditch the gimmick? Is that what you mean? Can it be used in a jacket pocket? I have a jacket with deck of cards sized pockets on the outside and additional bigger pockets I had added to it on the inside. Would a reach into the inside pocket for the change work?

Quote:
On Aug 7, 2017, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
The effect and gimmick are well worth getting - I have seen Greg kill with this at a moment's notice.

However, be aware there are a couple of great handling subtitles for the gimmick that you might not be able to use...though depending on the garment, you might be able to get creative...

First is the principle of the "Dead Space" in men's pants pockets - not sure if women's pockets are designed the same, so that may not be applicable.

Second is some pocket management getting the gimmick out of play by getting it to the rear pocket...which is moot if your clothing doesn't have any.

That said, it would be an interesting challenge to see how you could make it work with what you do have. PM me if you'd like to kick it around.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have an effect called "Sudden Change" that allows you to provide the exact change desired without going to your pocket at all. It is all done in your hand instantly.

This uses an entirely different method and approach than Greg's. I developed it years before his came on the market. No bulky gimmick

It has some limitations, of course, and not ideal for every setting -- but you make the necessary tricky stuff yourself and do not need pockets.

I will provide a copy to anyone here who request it from funsway@eversway.com and makes the usual commitment to feedback. Offer good until 8/15/17
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Tikidoll
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
7 Posts

Profile of Tikidoll
I'd love to try it out! Sending you an email now!

Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, funsway wrote:
I have an effect called "Sudden Change" that allows you to provide the exact change desired without going to your pocket at all. It is all done in your hand instantly.

This uses an entirely different method and approach than Greg's. I developed it years before his came on the market. No bulky gimmick

It has some limitations, of course, and not ideal for every setting -- but you make the necessary tricky stuff yourself and do not need pockets.

I will provide a copy to anyone here who request it from funsway@eversway.com and makes the usual commitment to feedback. Offer good until 8/15/17
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

[quote]On Aug 7, 2017, Tikidoll wrote:
This is useful! So you'd need another pocket to ditch the gimmick? Is that what you mean? Can it be used in a jacket pocket? I have a jacket with deck of cards sized pockets on the outside and additional bigger pockets I had added to it on the inside. Would a reach into the inside pocket for the change work?

If you do it the way Greg does, you do not need a second pocket to ditch the gimmick - that is a handling option he offers in the teaching Vid. However, I looked at the demo vids for the product and they don't show an important aspect of the handling which would apply directly to your questions.

The basic handling has the Magi chatting with the spectator while his hand is casually in his front pants pocket. That is the position that where the work is done on the off-beat. As to where the gimmick ends up after that...in the original pants pocket dead space, in the rear pocket, etc....comes after the original "hand-casually-in-pocket" stance.

If you are not working in an outfit that lends itself to that initial positioning, then there would be other work needed. I don't recall if the teaching video offers any handling options that would work for what you are describing...I think it would take some brainstorming to see how to get around the opening hand-casually-in-pocket stance.
Tikidoll
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
7 Posts

Profile of Tikidoll
Thanks Dave! I was at the Magic Castle last night and caught up with a magician who has the gimmick and he showed me the handling. I sure don't hang casually with my hand in my pocket even if I'm wearing pants, but now that I know the setup, I might see how much I do that when I'm wearing a jacket. I was able to cop a feel of the gimmick so now I know what I'd be working with. Since I usually carry a purse it might be easy to ditch it in there when reaching for something else (maybe a notepad to write down the number?) Now I see it's less about the size of the pocket!

Thanks everyone for their input! Now I can see if I can work up a believable routine, THEN I can buy it. (unless what Ken sent me does the trick!)

-Simone

[quote]On Aug 9, 2017, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2017, Tikidoll wrote:

If you do it the way Greg does, you do not need a second pocket to ditch the gimmick - that is a handling option he offers in the teaching Vid. However, I looked at the demo vids for the product and they don't show an important aspect of the handling which would apply directly to your questions.

The basic handling has the Magi chatting with the spectator while his hand is casually in his front pants pocket. That is the position that where the work is done on the off-beat. As to where the gimmick ends up after that...in the original pants pocket dead space, in the rear pocket, etc....comes after the original "hand-casually-in-pocket" stance.

If you are not working in an outfit that lends itself to that initial positioning, then there would be other work needed. I don't recall if the teaching video offers any handling options that would work for what you are describing...I think it would take some brainstorming to see how to get around the opening hand-casually-in-pocket stance.
magicbrady
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magicbrady
Funsway, I just shot you an email. I would really like to see what you came up with if you are still willing to share it! I just purchased Exact Change and I'm interested in seeing what you've done.

Thanks!
Brady

Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, funsway wrote:

DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

I PM'd you a handling suggestion.
magicbrady
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magicbrady
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2017, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
I PM'd you a handling suggestion.

Dave, you pm'd me a handling suggestion? I didn't get anything.
magicbrady
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magicbrady
I've performed this 5 times now and I must say it absolutely kills. After a few hours of practice I am very confident with the gimmick and workings. This is worth every penny. Wow. Reactions are ridiculous. Very nicely done.
magicbrady
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magicbrady
Dave Gripenwaldt, I really enjoy your comments and suggestions on Greg Wilson's Dvd's. Greg mentions using exact change with mem deck work, but says in the video that he hasn't tried it. Do you have any suggestions or comments? I really like the idea and have tried it a couple times with great results. Always looking for input from others. This is really strong.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Sorry, Mb...I was telling Tiki I PM'd her a suggestion based on her pocket (or lack of) situation.

As to the mem deck/EC combo, I'd be interested in what you came up with.
magicbrady
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magicbrady
I've actually been doing the men deck exactly as he described on the dvd. I do a Zarrow shuffle and put the pack in the box and hand to a person. Then I have them name any card, or their favorite card, etc. I tell them I don't believe in coincidences
and that somehow, the card they just named is related to my pocket change. I pull out the change in my pocket and count it. Usually, I don't even need to tell them to count the cards, they come up with it on their own. When they count down to the number it ends up being the random card they just selected. This kills!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
This is not a complaint - just an observation. Some ask why magic is dying. Others wonder why membership on the Café has declined so much in recent years.

Here we have an OP from a new member with concerns over a coin trick/gimmick and the handling related to her chosen dress stye.
It is a request for "magicians helping magicians - exactly what the Café is about.

As a possible solution I offered a free version of my similar effect that would not have the same pocket problem.
I did stipulate the commitment to feedback to me as a requirement in lieu of purchase. Such responses help me to create new and better effects.

Nine people send a request for this PDF document. Two of these addresses the "commitment" directly - only two!
For the others I added to my response - "I will take your request as a commitment to provide the requested feedback." I sent the document to all none people.
Five of these "accepters of condition" send me confirmation of the commitment. Two did not respond.

Tikidoll did mention above the receipt to the document and intent to read. No feedback provided.

It has been a month. NONE of the nine persons committing to provide feedback have done so. to me, this is a sad statement about the integrity of Café members.

This seems strange since feedback for those I sent the document to in previous years = 37% response. Still sad, but useful for rewrite and new effect creation.

I do not want accolades - creativity is its own reward. I do not need people posting reviews of the effect - but they can if they choose to.

It would be great to learn of the impact if this is performed, but no need to wait.

What I need is the answer to simple question:

What was the initial impact of the effect description? Did it meet your expectation as to purpose and type of mystical experience?

Where the descriptions clear and concise? Were any examples relevant and helpful? Was the order of description helpful?

Did you understand all of the components and restrictions of this effect? Is there something that could be added to the descriptions?

Were you inspired to perform this effect? If not, why not?

but, most of all - why can't you folks meet a simple commitment? If you cannot do that for a fellow magicians,
why should a spectator believe you will deliver on your promise to them?

I have dozens of proven effects for conjuring and mentalism styles not even written up yet. Why should I bother?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Ken,

I do believe that most people will not put in the time to learn an effect. They simply read it and go nah.

I have to email you soon. Maybe tomorrow about CCC. Always enjoy your insights.
Tikidoll
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
7 Posts

Profile of Tikidoll
Ken,

I thanked and responded to you when I received it and in my reply told you I was leaving for Magic Live a few days later and was leaving for London the day after I returned for three weeks which brings us to a week from yesterday. When I got back I made a list of all the magic stuff I need to work on and the effect you sent me is on the list! I have been keeping my eye out for the item mentioned in the description which I did read before I left. I also have a four year old child and a magic residency I'm rehearsing a new illusion for. I still have every intention of working on it, but I did tell you right away that it would be a little while. I will indeed provide feedback once I've had a chance to work on it!

-Simone

Quote:
On Sep 16, 2017, funsway wrote:
This is not a complaint - just an observation. Some ask why magic is dying. Others wonder why membership on the Café has declined so much in recent years.

Here we have an OP from a new member with concerns over a coin trick/gimmick and the handling related to her chosen dress stye.
It is a request for "magicians helping magicians - exactly what the Café is about.

As a possible solution I offered a free version of my similar effect that would not have the same pocket problem.
I did stipulate the commitment to feedback to me as a requirement in lieu of purchase. Such responses help me to create new and better effects.

Nine people send a request for this PDF document. Two of these addresses the "commitment" directly - only two!
For the others I added to my response - "I will take your request as a commitment to provide the requested feedback." I sent the document to all none people.
Five of these "accepters of condition" send me confirmation of the commitment. Two did not respond.

Tikidoll did mention above the receipt to the document and intent to read. No feedback provided.

It has been a month. NONE of the nine persons committing to provide feedback have done so. to me, this is a sad statement about the integrity of Café members.

This seems strange since feedback for those I sent the document to in previous years = 37% response. Still sad, but useful for rewrite and new effect creation.

I do not want accolades - creativity is its own reward. I do not need people posting reviews of the effect - but they can if they choose to.

It would be great to learn of the impact if this is performed, but no need to wait.

What I need is the answer to simple question:

What was the initial impact of the effect description? Did it meet your expectation as to purpose and type of mystical experience?

Where the descriptions clear and concise? Were any examples relevant and helpful? Was the order of description helpful?

Did you understand all of the components and restrictions of this effect? Is there something that could be added to the descriptions?

Were you inspired to perform this effect? If not, why not?

but, most of all - why can't you folks meet a simple commitment? If you cannot do that for a fellow magicians,
why should a spectator believe you will deliver on your promise to them?

I have dozens of proven effects for conjuring and mentalism styles not even written up yet. Why should I bother?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Exact change requirement (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL