The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Fake Gig Leads on GigSalad? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Getting back to the original question: I don't believe that the lead service generates fake leads. I DO believe that other performers are doing 'market research' to draw your materials and pricing structure out under the guise of being a client.

So what? They can't be you...and if they start out like little dogs trying to emulate a big dog, they are doomed to fail.

I have accounts at both GS and GM. A pile of the bookings are for birthday parties (since I am listed as a magician and a mentalist) -- but the bottom line is that it takes about twenty seconds to decline the lowball jobs. I have gotten some very lucrative bookings from both services over the years...not a TON of them...but certainly enough to justify the cost of membership.

It simply doesn't make any sense to me to ignore ANY source that puts me in touch with clients who are looking for entertainment.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Hugo
View Profile
New user
Texas
46 Posts

Profile of Hugo
I can't say for fact that GS or GM does not create fake leads, but I can say that I HIGHLY doubt it. #1: It would be SO easy to prove that (digital trail), and one class action lawsuit would quickly be the end of either or both of those businesses. #2: I'm quite sure that I have been responsible for what some may have thought to be FAKE leads. I produce theatrical productions and I use GS & GM to 'brainstorm' regularly. If I see someone (magician, clown, circus act, musician, etc) - or more specifically, their SHOW - on GS or GM that I think I can sell, I'll put out a feeler to see what kind of budget we'd be talking about. Then, after I receive several price quotes, I'll run the numbers and see if I think any of them will work. If so, I'll follow up; if not, then I'll move on with other ideas. It's that simple.

The way GS & GM are set up from the purchaser's side may be partly to blame for your confusion. The platform doesn't exactly encourage conversation based on a price quote. Meaning, that once I send requests for quotes to 10 performers, (5 of which actually reply), the platform does not encourage me to reply unless I'm actually ready to hire them. So, those performers that have replied with only a price, won't necessarily receive a follow-up response. Or, out of the 5, maybe 1 will. Now, I have replied to some quotes explaining that we've gone in a different direction, or we've decided on another performer, but it usually depends on the message that was sent to me by the performer. The platform simply does not encourage that kind of dialogue. So, I would assume that members of the general public who are looking for talent, probably have even LESS inclination to respond with an explanation to everyone that they didn't choose. Does that make any sense?
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Hugo, thanks for the info.

I continue to get "strange" gig requests, but I am now convinced they are not "fake."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
You are correct, but I have found that most that are seriously interested in corresponding with the performer, simply Google search them and contact them directly around the GM & GS systems. Some want to book then with you directly. I have actually told prospects I'd be happy to work with them but they'd have to confirm through the GM system. Some at that point simply refuse to because of the charge. This is offset of the performers picks up the fee.

I have found most of the seriously interested do want to speak with you directly. Then again, many that would respond to me through GM specifically were requesting me, and would get quite frustrated that their lead or inquiry to me was received and responded to by other performers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Fake Gig Leads on GigSalad? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL