The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Educated block (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
It was interesting to see this old childrens' (?) trick as a professional performance. I built this when I was 10 or something and forgot it totally. This cube has explained in many beginners books and is really easy to make. The drill press is good but you don't need it if you just drill the hole(s) accurately. Perhaps it is even easier to make using a usual drill. Many simple tricks are actually quite good when you do the performance well. Thanks a lot. I'll add this to my kids routine.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
All your comments encouraged me to purchase this effect. Well - I received the cube and I was very disappointed in the workmanship of a simple block of wood. It was all gouged up around the holes. The main hole was 1 inch in diameter, in my opinion - Huge. When inserting the soft magician rope that is 3/8 inch in diameter, the block falls to one side, or hangs lopsided on the rope, making it look suspicious. The inner working are not smoothed out, and is very rough, which in turn is very rough on the rope tearing it up and causing fibers to be left behind. The block is only 2-7/8 inch square. Not the 3 inches mentioned. I can vouch that it is cut square, and that is the only thing that looks to be correct.

It looks like the manufacturer just free handed the drilling, and did not have a jig to drill it correctly each time, as there are many attempts showing. I am sure the audience can see the modus operandi with the hole being so large.

Just no pride in workmanship these days. Way over priced, for the poor quality in workmanship.

Buyer beware, this is not a quality product, and the rope I got with it, can not even be used for the knot release part of the routine.

I really hate wasting my retirement income on junk apparatus.
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
In more than a decade has made only
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
Bill,

I am very sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your purchase. Please return it immediately for a refund as all Grand Illusions purchases are guaranteed.

In the future I recommend contacting the merchant to allow them an opportunity to solve the issue before posting negative comments in a public forum. Had we refused to make it right we would surely deserve your lambasting but no opportunity to correct the situation was offered.

Again, your purchase from us is guaranteed and we want you to be 100% satisfied. Please contact me directly so that I can make it right.
- Steve Johnson.
I make the invisible thread reel that works.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Steve:

Are you able to address why Bill received such a poor piece of apparatus? I was about to order one, based on the nice reviews, but think I will pass for now.

Ron
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
All your comments encouraged me to purchase this effect. Well - I received the cube and I was very disappointed in the workmanship of a simple block of wood. It was all gouged up around the holes. The main hole was 1 inch in diameter, in my opinion - Huge. When inserting the soft magician rope that is 3/8 inch in diameter, the block falls to one side, or hangs lopsided on the rope, making it look suspicious. The inner working are not smoothed out, and is very rough, which in turn is very rough on the rope tearing it up and causing fibers to be left behind. The block is only 2-7/8 inch square. Not the 3 inches mentioned. I can vouch that it is cut square, and that is the only thing that looks to be correct.

It looks like the manufacturer just free handed the drilling, and did not have a jig to drill it correctly each time, as there are many attempts showing. I am sure the audience can see the modus operandi with the hole being so large.

Just no pride in workmanship these days. Way over priced, for the poor quality in workmanship.

Buyer beware, this is not a quality product, and the rope I got with it, can not even be used for the knot release part of the routine.

I really hate wasting my retirement income on junk apparatus.

I was also interested in purchasing. Think I will just make my own, as I do not think I can do any worse than the one you got Bill......
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
For those that are interested, the 2 methods are in the Ency. of Rope Tricks

1'st phase: Krazy Kube p259 (simple in method, but making your own may involve some trial and error

2'nd phase: Blok-Kord p333, or Magic Digest p196

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I was seriously considering ordering one for Christmas, but I've changed my mind until I learn more from satisfied owners.

BTW>>>The hole should be the size of a dime*. I know because several years ago Mel Babcock made some special die box sets for us with the ability to perform the Blok-Kord trick with the block before using (what appeared to be...) the same block for the major presentation.

*This dime-size hole works just right with the magician's rope we use.

Julie
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Thanks for this tip Julie!
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
Ron:
I would absolutely love to address Bill's issues but will be unable to until he returns the block. At that time I'd be happy to return to this thread with photos and comments.

Julie:
If you read this entire thread you will find GLOWING reviews on this product from Dick, Mary, Hawkan and Magnus with comments like, "a convincing and durable prop.", "well made. Go buy." and "Simple idea, very well made." So, there you have FOUR positive reviews in this thread alone. More than than, though, I ask that you take another look at my response to Bill's dissatisfaction; 100% guaranteed and I'm not happy until you're happy.

Dan: You got to see Bill's block? Is it as bad as he says?

Bill: Let me know when you send back the block. steve@grandillusions.com

Readers: Please, if you have a problem with a merchant or service, give them the first whack at making it right before dragging their name through the mud in a public forum.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I bought mine on the first of October. I'm happy with the prop, and I've just started working it into the kidshow. The video in the OP is a good place to start building.

For those who wonder about how it looks, my impressions are rather different from Bill H's. To me the prop looks very good. It's not fine furniture, but I didn't expect it to be. The hole diameter is an interesting discussion. I suspect that a smaller hole would look better up close, but that there would be no real difference at a distance of a few feet.

Here are a few (low quality) pics, taken with a cell phone, with the prop on or above my desk. Distance from prop to camera is about 2 feet.

Not interested in arguing. Just showing what my block looks like. It's up to you if you'd like to buy one, pass it over, or make one yourself.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2017, Ron Reid wrote:
Hello Steve:

Are you able to address why Bill received such a poor piece of apparatus? I was about to order one, based on the nice reviews, but think I will pass for now.

Ron

Hey Ron! Haven't seen you on the Café in awhile (or maybe I wasn't on the same threads as you). Are you still rehabbing old props? I still say your painting and decal work are some of the best I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
Thanks, Magnus Eisengrim.

:-)
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
UPDATE:
Bill's "Defective" block arrived today and I immediately issued him a full refund.

IMEO there's nothing at all wrong with this educated block except that it now smells strongly of cigarette smoke and may be unsaleable if I can't get the scent out. (Advice on getting smoke-smell out of wood is welcome)

I couldn't figure out how to post several images in high quality here in the Café' so I just made a web page instead.

Those who might be interested can see close-up pics here: http://www.grandillusions.com/block

You can see a BIG version of the image by right-clicking the picture and choosing "Open Image in New Tab" or the like depending on your browser of choice.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Steve, thank you for refunding the return. I tried to email you several times, but all came back as not able to deliver.

steve@grandillusions.com does not work.

I don't know why there would be an odor of smoke on he block.

The internet says that Arm & Hammer Baking Soda should remove any order in a half hour. Just sprinkle it on, don't use any water. Don't know if it works, but that is what I found.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Light sanding of all surfaces might help.....
visit me @ JNealShow.com
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
Bill,

Most welcome. Thanks for the baking soda tip, I haven't tried it yet but it sounds logical.

Steve@grandillusions.com works peachy. I get hundreds of email a day. I'm not sure why you can't reach me?
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Mine was absolutely fine.

HÃ¥kan
aLittleMentalist
View Profile
Regular user
Skagway, Alaska
113 Posts

Profile of aLittleMentalist
Before I was aware of Educated Block by Grand Illusions I was interested in the Block Off Cord effect. Stevens sells a beautiful prop which I purchased. I’m very happy with it but I wish I had waited until I saw Educated Block. Cubio has always been a favorite of mine, even though I will admit I’ve never worked up a satisfying presentation with it. But I love combining the two ideas into one routine. It looks like I’ll be making another purchase soon!
aLittleMentalist
aLittleMentalist
View Profile
Regular user
Skagway, Alaska
113 Posts

Profile of aLittleMentalist
I have to say that I am incredibly pleased with Educated Block from Grand Illusions. It has a fine finish and runs smoothly. It will be a fun routine to put together.
aLittleMentalist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Educated block (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL