The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Studying advice (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
312 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Years ago, I had a magic friend who was a whiz with card sleights. He was very knowledgeable and could do dang near every sleight you have ever heard of. He could do them well, too. But he could not perform one single trick, not one, without something going wrong. It was amazing that he could not get through one trick without somehow failing. He had no presentation skills. His skill and knowledge of sleights were virtually worthless.

Conversely, I had another good magician friend who was a magic bartender. He could do five or six sleights. He did them really well too. He planned his misdirection so skillfully, you just never saw anything suspicious. He did a few classics, but developed most of his own material. He “knew his audience” and tailored to his magic to them. He could keep his patrons entertained, laughing, completely deceived and buying drinks! His tip jar was always full. It was a real hoot to watch him work. He was a fine magician.

BTW: My bartender friend would not go near anything that had to do with “the magic community.” He did once, but his material was stolen. Other than me, I think he never again interacted with other magicians.

Gerald
Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
@TeddyBoy,
I didn't ask what kind of magic you are practicing/studying, but @MaryMowder pointed out to me wisely in another thread that (being into cards) certain kinds of sleights (most?) strain the wrist bone & associated muscles, ligaments, etc. This not being a big surprise, practice involves by definition "repetitive motion", which in quantity over a short period of time could obviously raise complications involving PN and/or carpel tunnel.

I can't say whether the "20 mins/day" referred to sleights where dexterity & strength are molded, but if so, it makes sense to maybe work with a doctor for times/repetition that wouldn't make things worse.

If nothing worthwhile is easily obtained, then physical sleights must really be worth it!

So far, reading old magic books & periodicals is the only kind of practice that won't aggravate my PN & CT! Smile

All the best in your practices, and in my case where dropping cards is a frequent thing, I try to remember the words of Mr. Sir Churchill he never actually spoke or wrote, "Success is going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."

:)
Tap Roniart

# PM me your effects looking for a method!
# Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors-especially ideas that end up being awful-as I am on cell.
# Mods: I only break site rules that the "inner circle" themselves break.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
312 Posts

Profile of Gerald
BTW: I get inquiries about a PDF version of The Ostrich Factor. I have no plans to offer it in PDF format. Thanks for the interest.

Best,
Gerald
misterbill
View Profile
Elite user
Bill Thompson
415 Posts

Profile of misterbill
Teddy: Josh Riel said just about all I would have. Get a copy of the Chicago Surprise notes from Pop Haydn, not just for the trick but for the valuable magic theory he teaches in it!

Gerald: That story of your bartender magician friend sounds all too familiar Smile
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of mcmc
I've never done a paid show, so techically I'm an "amateur" (though I did do street magic with a tin out once, and then was shooed off by a cop).

I've been doing magic for 29 years. Bought all kinds of books, all kinds of effects, gimmicks, tools.

There was a time when I knew probably 50 card effects by heart.

But now, when asked to do magic, I fall back on about 7 or 8 card effects that I've polished and honed over the years so much that I can predict every beat. Only 2 or so of them require any real "sleights" beyond a simple control or force.

But boy, do people drop their jaws and scream running around the room when I present them. It's almost batty how unrelated the simplicity (and self-workingness) of an effect is versus its effect on an audience.

And so, 18 effects or moves a year, sounds like way beyond what I have accomplished these past 29 years =)
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
312 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, misterbill wrote:. . .Gerald: That story of your bartender magician friend sounds all too familiar Smile

Agreed, misterbill. People like my friend would have much to contribute to the art, but the current "climate" of the craft turns them away. It only takes a few bad apples to spoil a bushel.
Gerald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Studying advice (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL