The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Market research (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Well ok then, since this is just a friendly debate and all opinions are freely welcomed here I guess I could share my thoughts on market research.

Number One is: I would rule out talking to any failed hypnotist that you might find on here 24 hours a day 7 days a week trying to play a successful internet magician. Reach out to the real professionals to gather your information. If you need help, I can put you in touch with some outstanding working pros that will bend over backwards to help you anyway they can.

Number Two: Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Asking is the key to learning. Ask, Ask, Ask. And remember, you can always ask, who should I ask? Never just ask anybody.

Number Three: Don’t stop until you get the information you need. Just Do It!!

Tom

PS. Yes this a serious post and the serious readers may want to copy it. Straight from the horses mouth, and don't settle for the other end advice.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OK Tom lets compare credentials from just say the past 6 months.

I have done more shows in the past 6 months that you probably ever have. Here is a review of the "failed hypnotist" from May 20, 2017.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi......TES_CONT

OK Tom YOUR turn. Show us your sum total of TripAdvisor reviews please Tom. Go ahead Tom ANY will do. Please show us.

In addition this "failed hypnotist" has provided work about 600 times for other performers Tom. How about yourself? You have not even DONE that many shows.

How about you call Bannachek, Docc Hillford, Bob Sheets, Jon Stetson, Dario Vasquez, and any person we write checks to regularly to see just how "failed" this hypnotist really is Tom?

So go ahead Tom put up YOUR credentials. Back them up with links and not just quotes from your imaginary friends. Your posing is really getting old Tom. Just because I don't sit here with every link every time I do something doesn't mean it isn't happening. So now it is your turn. How about some recent video of your greatness? Anything to back up your story will do Tom. Go ahead.

Tom please stop attacking me in your posts and just post information you have such as it is.

So longer than 6 months we can go back also.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi......rta.html
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi......TES_CONT

It seems even 8 year olds enjoy this "failed hypnotist".
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi......ubl.html

How many reviews does this "failed hypnotist" have to put up before you put up even one?

Oh and "trying to play a successful internet magician"? Really Tom
https://lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/2015......ntoxica/

SO I EAGERLY await all the amazing reviews of all your work. At what point is a person taken seriously in your mind Tom?

So can we STOP the measuring contest? You always lose so badly. Please stop attacking me. Maybe you could actually LEARN something heaven forbid. But either way don't tell untruths please. It is not very nice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Like always my post was NOT about ME.

Now please tell this nobody of a magician what is wrong with my advice:

1. What’s wrong with? Seeking professional help?

2. What’s wrong with? Asking the right people?

3. What’s wrong with? Not stopping until you get a good answer?

Or, are you more worried about how great thou are to respond to my actual advice?

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh so you have no credentials just want to attack me like a child right? Your post is not about you, but has as usual an attack on me. Why do you insist on doing that?

So your advice in total is to ask questions and get answers?

OK how is that even advice Tom? Seriously you want me to respond to that?

What is wrong with it? I don't know Tom do you consider it an insight? It is the equivalent of a person asking about a restaurant and you telling them to chew and swallow until the meal is gone.

But please post all the reviews Tom. Go ahead. This "failed hypnotist" did so now it is your turn. Back it up. Go on.

I have to admit I agree with number one. You should seek professional help.

Now this is the part where you act like a victim after attacking another person. Come on. You can do it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, what makes you think I was talking about you? Sorry you feel that way about yourself.

Yep, my advice is to ask questions. You probably wouldn't know it but that is a big
reason for failure with many. They fail because they simply refuse to ask for help/information.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So you're not going to post reviews or anything? Just hope everyone forgets you started the fray as usual?

NOTHING to post as a credential? Very predictable.

Now play victim or try to turn it around and make some silly comment about how I feel about myself. None of it works Tom. Everyone sees you for who you are.

You should do everyone a favor and contain your attacks to a PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHlLmYVCzKY
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
No I am not going to post any reviews.

I see no need to, I will let the conceited folks do that.

And no I am not attacking Anybody. It's you saying that I am.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Right conceited folks you are hilarious.

First you attack and then when someone simply defends themselves they are conceited.

Well with you bring unwilling to show why you should be listened to and show how successful you have been it sure puts your posts in context. Thanks for proving what everyone already knew.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, again, where did I attack you?

I simply shared my advice and you started to panic.

If you honestly believe that asking the right people for help is bad advice,
well so be it. But that's My Opinion/Advice and I'm sticking with it.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2017, TomBoleware wrote:
Well ok then, since this is just a friendly debate and all opinions are freely welcomed here I guess I could share my thoughts on market research.

Number One is: I would rule out talking to any failed hypnotist that you might find on here 24 hours a day 7 days a week trying to play a successful internet magician. Reach out to the real professionals to gather your information. If you need help, I can put you in touch with some outstanding working pros that will bend over backwards to help you anyway they can.

Number Two: Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Asking is the key to learning. Ask, Ask, Ask. And remember, you can always ask, who should I ask? Never just ask anybody.

Number Three: Don’t stop until you get the information you need. Just Do It!!

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Geeze you are just unbelievable.

Just let the adults talk ok?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Geeze you are just unbelievable.

Good, I may need to use that as a credit on my magic resume. Smile

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What magic resume? You fit have one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Walter- I would like to hear more about your market research as it applies to a Magic business.

I see where Danny is coming from, because as I read his posts in this thread I immediately thought of my friend Eric Knaus, The Great Zucchini. His insights seem inate with respect to knowing his audience, customers, market and such. He does things most would never dare to do and any "school" would frown upon and never teach tactics that he leverages to his advantage. In his own way he taught me so much about target marketing, branding, and a winning formula. Never the less, this is The Tricky Business section and where discussions such as your topic of market research should be welcomed and encouraged. In reality, those of us who do not possess such inate talent are the ones that benefit from relying on sound principles. Despite what Danny wrote, 99% of artists are not just fine doing what they are currently doing, and certainly not those who come here looking for ideas and advice.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
My daughter works for this firm that analyzes population data down to a zip code level.

So, if you were thinking about opening a business in a certain market, she could tell you with up-to-date statistics how many people in a particular age bracket live in a particular market and their income levels.

It's pretty wild stuff.

Gerry
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2017, charliecheckers wrote:
Walter- I would like to hear more about your market research as it applies to a Magic business.

I see where Danny is coming from, because as I read his posts in this thread I immediately thought of my friend Eric Knaus, The Great Zucchini. His insights seem inate with respect to knowing his audience, customers, market and such. He does things most would never dare to do and any "school" would frown upon and never teach tactics that he leverages to his advantage. In his own way he taught me so much about target marketing, branding, and a winning formula. Never the less, this is The Tricky Business section and where discussions such as your topic of market research should be welcomed and encouraged. In reality, those of us who do not possess such inate talent are the ones that benefit from relying on sound principles. Despite what Danny wrote, 99% of artists are not just fine doing what they are currently doing, and certainly not those who come here looking for ideas and advice.

Well Said charliecheckers,

Eric is what I call a natural. He would do good in any business. I often refer some that have purchased my daycare workers handbook to Eric, to watch how he handles the audience, not to copy him, you can’t do that, but you can certainly learn a lot from watching him. He has a background working with kids, and if you can understand kids you can deal with the adults too. Teachers deal with parents everyday. But he mainly just uses a lot of common sense that many take for granted. Eric could make a living teaching, selling shoes, cars, stocks, or whatever he chooses to do, because despite what some say, business is business. It’s all about pleasing people. Being successful as a magician is not about magic and the tricks. It’s not about copying someone else. It’s about finding ‘yourself’ and learning some good common sense business practices.

But you right, most are not like Eric and will never be. They need to take a hard look at the market and the people within it. I too was looking forward to Walters’s posts, because stuff like this is important.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2017, WDavis wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
[...]
Before we can even begin this discussion you have made a very important distinction. You approach it as a business, most magicians don't, or not at least initially. This is a huge foundational difference. Most magicians are...well, magicians. They want to do magic. They're interests, at least initially, are not starting a business or even being an entertainer. They want to be a magician - an executor of magic.

Same for comedians. They just want to perform comedy so they all usually follow the same path - open mic nights, comedy clubs as an Opener/MC, then after putting in their time over years, maybe become a feature. They ride the coattails of other comics to get gigs or "tagalong gigs" as I call them, and hope and dream someday of being a comedy club headliner. Also in their mind is to have their own cable special and a sitcom, but no likely way, path or plan to do so. That's as far as it goes with most of them.

This is the default approach and because of this, no they no not do market research. Once they get their magic to a point of feeling like publicly performing it they then create what they think is "show" and then seek bookings - usually any type of bookings they can muster.

There is no specific market selection or specialization, therefore there is no market research. Only once a shift has been made to their business model or an interest in advancement do they even begin to think of markets in such a way.

[...]

This is my disconnect, how can someone in good faith repeatedly offer services and take money for them without treating it like a business? That doesn't make sense to me. But it's outside the scope of this thread. Maybe it could be a new one...

I too would welcome that. I also fear we wouldn't like the answers we find.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2017, TomBoleware wrote:
No I am not going to post any reviews.

I see no need to, I will let the conceited folks do that.

Tom

Good to hear that Tom (The World's Foremost Authority.) seems to think that anyone who posts reviews is conceited. That must mean that ANYONE who posts a review or a newspaper article or TV appearance of their work must be conceited. I am so shocked to hear Mr. "WOW that is great" tell us that he really thinks only folks who are conceited do such things. Sorry Mike but Tom thinks you are conceited for posting that stuff about you and your daughter.

ALL that stuff that others have posted about coverage and about reviews means only that they are conceited.

Tom thank you for sharing your true views for all of us.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny there is a big difference in ‘sharing’ news and posting stuff to ‘prove’
how good you are, like you’re asking me to do.

Seriously, Danny you need help. I’m done with you, now go find someone else to fight with.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Or like you CONSTANTLY require me or mindpro to do. LOL. HILARIOUS.

But the REAL difference is you CAN'T! Let's at least be honest about it ok?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Market research (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL