The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card Devilry by J.K. Hartnan (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2017, motown wrote:
It's a good sign when Vlad likes a book.

Thanks Motown! Hope you're doing well!

To be honest folks, I have been very engrossed in Card Devilry and I am also in the middle of auditioning a guitarist for my British invasion music project. As such I haven't had time to post a review. I too am a Hartman disciple and I own all of his works. If Card Devilry is indeed his swan song, then it's a hell of a tune. I am three fouths of the way through the book and everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - is SO good. I have a bit more time this week so I will post my thoughts.

If you love Hartman's work, then it's a no-brainer. For those either unfamiliar with his work, Card Devilry is a superb introduction.

And a big bunch of kudos for Tony Dunn and his spectacular as always illustrations.

Best,
Vlad
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1945 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2017, Vlad_77 wrote:
I am also in the middle of auditioning a guitarist for my British invasion music project.
Vlad

If you're coming to the UK, let us know when and where you're playing.

Then shall the realm of Albion
Come to great confusion
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I believe I have all of J. K. Hartmans past books. I love his magic and enjoy his writing style.
*His books in my collection are:
-CAAN Craft by J. K. Hartman - 2010' (HB)
-Card Dupery by J. K. Hartman - 2007' (HB)
-Card Dodgery by J. K. Hartman - 2012' (HB)
-Card Craft Series-"Card Craft" by J. K. Hartman - 1991' (HB)
-Card Craft Series-"After Craft" by J. K. Hartman - 1995' (HB)
-Card Craft Series-"Trickery Treats" by J. K. Hartman - 1999' (HB)
-Card Fare by J. K. Hartman - 1980' (S)
-Loose Ends by J. K. Hartman - 1980' (S)
-Packet Magic by J. K. Hartman - 1972' (S)
-Means and Ends by J. K. Hartman - 1973' (S)
-Super Dupers-Secret Subtractions-Odd Lifts by J.K.Hartman -1980' (S)
If I am missing a book, let me know. I will add it to my -hunting for- list.

I just sent an email to the Vanishing Inc. web site and asked them when they will be shipping the Card Devilry book. Till then would a member post the 411 on the physical charteristics of the book ( hard or soft bound, dust jacket or not , page count, and approximate size. This old cat is a bit curious.
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I received a response to my email from Andi, at Vanishing Inc., this morning. It stated that there is still no release date scheduled for the Card Devilry book, at this time. This late in the year, I do not believe we will find it under the Christmas tree, this year. I will put it on my January Reminder Card to refresh my memory. For now, I am going to Forget About It and move on.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hey all,

I haven't forgotten to write my review. In fact, it's written but I need to ask Andi and Joshua if I can post it since the book isn't available yet. I WILL say that Card Devilry is really a fantastic book. Mr. Hartman explores a few more areas of card magic than he previous works. I'll shoot an e-mail to Vanishing, Inc.

Save your pennies and as soon as it comes out, snag it.

Best,
Vlad

PS: To Claudio, The band is doing fine here but I want to give us about six more months before playing the UK. I mean, we are playing strictly British rock and we want our audiences in the UK to like us. Smile
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
I can't wait to see the review, I was first put off my his writing style in his Dodgery and Dupery, but after try reading Dodgery from cover to cover I soon realized this is actually a wonderful book, full of workable materials , I perform 6 tricks from this books and they all got great reaction, magicians was blown away by the construction and thinking behind each pieces, looking forward to see the review Vlad
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1945 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Card Devilry is now available at Vanishing Inc Smile
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Just bought it!
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I just bought it from Vanhing.inc (USA) with Free Shipping and @ $35.00, not $40.00 like some sites.
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Placed my order,
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Cat is out of the bag Vlad. Review away. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
jordi_narpati
View Profile
New user
Indonesia
29 Posts

Profile of jordi_narpati
I started following Mr.Hartman book in Card Dodgery which is amazing! I just ordered card devilry cannot wait to receive it!
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
I'm headed to a brick and mortar shop in a couple weeks after a long absence. I'm hoping to get Dodgery and Devilry both that day. I can't wait.
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
Just received my copy, but I noticed the price, on vanishing.inc., went up to $40.00. I guess I placed my order just before it went from the $35.00 pre-order price. It is a beautifully constructed book ! I do not want to wait till this coming weekend to spend time reading it, but I must. Enjoy it, I know I will
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2017, magic.42 wrote:
Just received my copy, but I noticed the price, on vanishing.inc., went up to $40.00. I guess I placed my order just before it went from the $35.00 pre-order price. It is a beautifully constructed book ! I do not want to wait till this coming weekend to spend time reading it, but I must. Enjoy it, I know I will

I see it unchanged at $35 here at Vanishing Inc:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......devilry/
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
My parcel is still long way from where I live
I can't wait to see the book
any review? even is just the quick one about one or two tricks?
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Received my books this morning, what a beautifully made book, the paper stock feels amazing.
just did a initial read of the book
still the same Hartman writing style, detail and to the point.
some strong memorized deck routines in this book, most of the trick are impromptu, only every few require specially made gaff card.
looks like JK Hartman's been taking inspiration from older classic books, as well as some newer materials from recent Genii and Linking ring magazine
I'm pretty sure this won't be his last book.
Shawn Evans
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Shawn Evans
No posts for a week! Hopefully that means everyone is reading Card Devilry. I am almost done with an initial pass with cards in hand. First impression is that it is one of his best. A LOT of great stuff in this book.
I took the Pledge

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hey all,

My apologies for the tardiness in posting my review. Personal life circumstances are a mess at the moment. I see that a few of you have the book now or you've ordered it. I will post my review (finally) this week. I'm excited to read others' comments on the book as well.

Again my sincerest apologies for my tardiness.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I understand Vlad. I'm not pressing buy until I see your review though!

If there is a version of 'Out of this World' [as in the strange version of different coloured backs in a previous book] then I will buy it.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card Devilry by J.K. Hartnan (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL