The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Chicago Opener without DL?? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
Jim Ryan's version, Red Hot Mama, doesn't use a double and I think that's the best way to do it. Too much heat on the turnover because of the color change.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2017, danaruns wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2017, James F wrote:
I personally feel that the whole "picking it up in biddle grip and turning the hand over" thing that Lynn mentions looks really suspicious. Since you do the get ready and have an easy double, doing a normal turnover is easy. Up jog slightly as you turn face up, push back and down to obtain another pinky break, and turn it back face down. Easy as pie.

Well, that looks suspicious, too, frankly. No one turns over cards like that except magicians doing DLs. Frankly, with that turnover, anyone who knows what a DL is can see it every time, unless the magician alters a regular turnover to look like a DL, in which case it all looks unnatural. It's why Eugene Burger believed that the DL was a poor move, and he never used it. There are no good turnovers.

How does turning a card over like that look suspicious? Hand a deck to someone and ask them to turn the card over on top of the deck. They will either do what looks like a push off double or maybe turn it end for end pulling it from the far short end and rotate it onto the top. What they wont do is lift it up in biddle position and turn their wrist over.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2017, Steve Burton wrote:
Jim Ryan's version, Red Hot Mama, doesn't use a double and I think that's the best way to do it. Too much heat on the turnover because of the color change.

I don't think there's too much heat; but I do thank you for the reference to Jim Ryan, one of the originators of the trick! As for helping the OP (getting back to BobG), I'd like to suggest the locked topic on the DL with many many threads on the apparently debatable DL! Lynn
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2017, lynnef wrote:
I do thank you for the reference to Jim Ryan, one of the originators of the trick!

I researched this when I taught it to a group of magicians, and the information I found is that the first published version was the Hot Card Trick No. 1 by Al Leech, marketed in 1950 by The Ireland Magic Company, and then made popular by Frank Everhart as Chicago Opener when published by Frank Garcia in Million Dollar Card Secrets (1972). I think that's accurate.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2017, danaruns wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2017, lynnef wrote:
I do thank you for the reference to Jim Ryan, one of the originators of the trick!

I researched this when I taught it to a group of magicians, and the information I found is that the first published version was the Hot Card Trick No. 1 by Al Leech, marketed in 1950 by The Ireland Magic Company, and then made popular by Frank Everhart as Chicago Opener when published by Frank Garcia in Million Dollar Card Secrets (1972). I think that's accurate.

This is accurate; but then who named it "Red Hot Mama" is apparently a debate. (I opened a topic on this in the Café in 2010, and got different responses). Some say Al Leech called it 'red hot mama', but the name first appears with Jim Ryan. And now that I hear Ryan's version does not use a double, I'm wondering if its the same effect at all! Are Chicago Opener and Red Hot Mama indeed the same effect?? I first learned "Red Hot Mama" off a Michael Ammar tape; and it was credited to "Ryan,Leech,Everhart". Yikes! Lynn
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Al Leech originally called it "Red Hot Card Trick". Jim Ryan called it "Red Hot Mama".
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi everybody,

People have been posting all kinds of great info without my realizing it! I apparently forgot to subscribe to the thread that I started. Oops. I'll reply to some of people's ideas in the next day or two.

In another thread, lots of people generously gave me tips on the DL, which I'm practicing daily. No one needs to convince me that it's a valuable move. Sure, I could wait a year or so until I have a consistently accurate DL and then perform Chicago Opener (which is the same trick as Red Hot Mama, isn't it?). But why wait if in the meantime I can play with another method?

Lynn, Yikes indeed! Ammar is one of my sources for Red Hot Mama, too. He does use a DL, as you know, and the trick looks just like other sources that I've seen that were called Chicago Opener. I'm not a historian, but it sure looks like in current usage the two names are just different labels for the same trick.

Thanks everybody,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. to Steve Burton. Steve, would you be willing to explain, perhaps in a PM, what method you use to perform the trick without a DL? At this point none of us seems to be certain about what to *call* the trick, but it sounds like you have a good method.

Thanks...
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
It's why Eugene Burger believed that the DL was a poor move, and he never used it. There are no good turnovers.

That's not quite entirely true Dana. I was also a personal student of Eugene's (through the Mystery School) going back nearly twenty years now. Eugene maintained that position because it is *mostly* true. He was also the first to admit that he was not terribly good at some sleights, and the DL was one of them. I think saying that there are "no good turnovers" is going a little too far.

And to the original poster: Just work on your double lift. It really isn't that hard and simply takes some concerted effort. I am a little old-fashioned in the sense that I firmly believe one should master a routine well enough to be able to perform it competently before audiences without needing to resort to aids like tape, wax, or glue. Not trying to trample on others who have suggested these aids, but I honestly don't feel substituting a simple move for these crutches is good advice.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
[quote]On Sep 22, 2017, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Quote:
It's why Eugene Burger believed that the DL was a poor move, and he never used it. There are no good turnovers.

That's not quite entirely true Dana. I was also a personal student of Eugene's (through the Mystery School) going back nearly twenty years now. Eugene maintained that position because it is *mostly* true. He was also the first to admit that he was not terribly good at some sleights, and the DL was one of them. I think saying that there are "no good turnovers" is going a little too far.

And to the original poster: Just work on your double lift. It really isn't that hard and simply takes some concerted effort. I am a little old-fashioned in the sense that I firmly believe one should master a routine well enough to be able to perform it competently before audiences without needing to resort to aids like tape, wax, or glue. Not trying to trample on others who have suggested these aids, but I honestly don't feel substituting a simple move for these crutches is good advice. [/quot

I get what you're saying but it really depends. If you use those crutches to avoid ever learning the DL, then yes I agree. But if you're actively working on the DL but want to perform a trick using it and your DL isn't there yet, I don't see an issue. As long as the substitute you're using doesn't damage the effect at all. I have been PMing Bob and I can assure you he is actively working on the DL.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
Use a thick card. Flawless strike doubles and triples without any get ready.

Of course you have to adapt the routine to allow for the thick card but I have done it ( and I have a good DL anyway) and it works beautifully!

Micke J
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, Leo-Kim wrote:
Use a thick card. Flawless strike doubles and triples without any get ready.

Of course you have to adapt the routine to allow for the thick card but I have done it ( and I have a good DL anyway) and it works beautifully!

Micke J
Sweden

Agreed. I feel that this would be a much better option than using adhesives.
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, Bob G wrote:
P. S. to Steve Burton. Steve, would you be willing to explain, perhaps in a PM, what method you use to perform the trick without a DL? At this point none of us seems to be certain about what to *call* the trick, but it sounds like you have a good method.

Thanks...

Hi Bob,
Dana Runs and Bobby Forbes have already pointed to Ryan's method in this thread. The card is a stranger and usually just used for this one effect, so why not throw in a bit of gimmickry? Especially since it makes the handling so nonchalant. Separating the two is really not a problem as it seems as though the effect is over at that point and their attention relaxes.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Got it -- thanks, Steve.
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
161 Posts

Profile of tltq
To Bobby

Before I post a sequence. I have a question. After you get your break, what do you do with the cards above the odd-backed card
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
To Sudo Nimh (Pseudonym, I guess, no? -- gosh I'm feeling intelligent tonight haha): I'm finding that I'm old fashioned in the same way. Logically, I'm not sure why it should matter: tricks are based on trickery, after all, so why should it matter whether the trickery is accomplished with gaffs or with sleight of hand? Nevertheless, every time I decide to use a gaff, I find myself practicing a sleight. Are we just stodgy purists, or is there some defense of the position that sleight of hand is in some way "better" than gaffs?
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
And thanks for everyone who's made encouraging remarks about the DL. I'm practicing it a lot, and it's definitely getting better. I do think that I'll get it to the point where I'm comfortable using it in a performance.

But I find this particular sleight scary in a way that other basic ones don't, and I finally figured out why. It seems like if you blow it once then you've let your audience in on the secret, and then when are you going to be able to use it again? If you have a small audience (in my case my family and a few friends), the sleight is dead for your purposes, isn't it?

--Mind you, I'd be happy to be talked out of that position...
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Lynn,

Thanks for all the interesting ideas. Is the Altman trap what I think it is? -- catching the double in the heel of the hand as it lands? If I'm right about that, can you describe it or suggest a reference, please, that gives the details? (Inexpensive would be great.) Sometimes I find that the double (or single for that matter) bounces around when it lands, and I'd like to avoid that.

Bob
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2017, Steve Burton wrote:

Wait, what?

I was always under the impression that Chicago Opener and Red Hot Mama were the same trick? If it doesn't use a double, then what does it use?
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, Bob G wrote:
To Sudo Nimh (Pseudonym, I guess, no? -- gosh I'm feeling intelligent tonight haha): I'm finding that I'm old fashioned in the same way. Logically, I'm not sure why it should matter: tricks are based on trickery, after all, so why should it matter whether the trickery is accomplished with gaffs or with sleight of hand? Nevertheless, every time I decide to use a gaff, I find myself practicing a sleight. Are we just stodgy purists, or is there some defense of the position that sleight of hand is in some way "better" than gaffs?

Hi Bob. (yes - pseudonym) Smile

Though I generally tend to prefer sleights, I'm not against using a gaff or gimmick if it strengthens an illusion or enhances the impact. If you are really having difficulty or discomfort with the DL, a thick card (as was suggested earlier) will help you to easily execute the DL without you having to muck about with less user-friendly aids. They also offer a wide range of versatility for other uses. There are a small number of professionals who make use of one in their deck, so it is worth giving it a spin - you may even really like it. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Chicago Opener without DL?? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL