The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Durability + My hands? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
Hi all,
i first got into magic when I was 6 years old, that christmas I got a brick of bicycle cards (i live in the uk so they were kinda hard to come by) and that brick lasted me the whole year. Recently, I have noticed that I am going through a deck in around two days, which is ridiculous. Its not that I am being super picky either, the deck is literally unusable after two days. The cards get too soft and clump massively, they feel almost damp and the edges look dirty. I wash my hands every time before using them and only practice on a close up pad. This has not always been the case and has only started recently. I have gone through a brick in the last 3 weeks which is not only costing me but means I have to keep making long journeys to costco (the only place in the uk that will sell them).
Any suggestions?
Cheers,

Ryan
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Surely, now you are using the cards more than when you were six. Anyway, to get the cards soft and clumpy in just two days is excessive.

It might have to do with an excessive humid environment.
So much to do, so little time . . .
RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2017, alicauchy wrote:
Surely, now you are using the cards more than when you were six. Anyway, to get the cards soft and clumpy in just two days is excessive.

It might have to do with an excessive humid environment.

Actually, when I first got into magic I spent every waking moment with a deck in my hand, I also got into it at the beginning of a school holidays so I spent six weeks non stop.
Nowadays with work and other things I only spend a few hours a day practicing,
Maybe the environment, you may be right, I will spend a week with a deck only using it in colder places and see how it goes.
Cheers,
Ryan
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I suspect the problem is you are a Bear.

HanselKreutzberger
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of HanselKreutzberger
Humidity has been a problem for me...Maybe you keep the cards so close to your body (Pockets) without a card guard...
jaschris
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Richard Turner Gold Seal cards - much more durable than the Bicycles (which I am convinced changed in quality once Standard was printed on front instead of Rider). Others may disagree. The Turner Gold Seal cards are Bee stock with Bicycle Rider back design. They don't clump like the Bikes or get warped the same. Though the speed of deterioration you report seems odd. More delicate handling perhaps? I'm sure there are many Café threads on which cards are people's favorites. But that would be my two cents. I'm sure there are online magic stores in UK where you could get Turner Gold Seals. I buy mine through Penguin http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7967
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Yeah I would try a card guard, and also try not to keep the cards in your pants pocket. And if its very humid outside try to keep the cards inside with the AC on and see if it makes a difference.
RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
With regards to humidity, any suggestions for when I cant get away from it? for example I work in an office which is always hot, I like to mess about with cards at lunch etc, is there any way I could avoid warping and clumping?
Card_Flips
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Card_Flips
If the office is warm and hot, the only way to avoid warping is not to use the cards at the office

It sucks, I agree

But short of asking the management to cool the place off, it will damage your cards

Card clips help keep cards flat longer

Wash your hands before you play

Also:
Bicycle for practice
Custom decks for performance (or bicycles, but a fresh deck)
Card_Flips
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Card_Flips
I can wreck a deck in a day (I have an office job where a lot of reading is required)
I not only learn sleights, but I also fidget with cards sometimes

So what you are practicing also plays into the longevity of your cards
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Yes, it's been my observation that the finish on the newer Bicycles gets sticky faster than the old ones.

From the company's perspective, this would get people to buy a fresh deck more frequently.

They probably view it as a feature, not a bug.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
There is one remedy, but it also brings its own problems. If humidity/environment are the true causes and not much can be done about it, a useful measure is to switch to Bicycle's Prestige (plastic) playing cards. They take some getting used to but it may be worth it to start working with them. Plastic decks are useful for outdoor work when humidity can be extreme. Of course other companies make plastic decks that you might try, but I chose Bicycle since you work with that brand regularly.
RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, DelMagic wrote:
There is one remedy, but it also brings its own problems. If humidity/environment are the true causes and not much can be done about it, a useful measure is to switch to Bicycle's Prestige (plastic) playing cards. They take some getting used to but it may be worth it to start working with them. Plastic decks are useful for outdoor work when humidity can be extreme. Of course other companies make plastic decks that you might try, but I chose Bicycle since you work with that brand regularly.

Brilliant idea, never thought of that... only drawback I could think of is fanning ability but I tend not to do those anyway, I just ordered a deck of prestiges off amazon to give it ago... thankyou!
lagoss
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of lagoss
Darwin Ortiz goes through six a day!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
People change with time and you don't have the same body chemistry as when you were 6.

Some people have excessively damp hands. If you think this is the problem google "excessively damp hands" and check out the first steps to a fix.

For a card worker, there are advantages if it is not too bad but you'll go through a lot of cards.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Durability + My hands? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL