The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Does anyone recognise this (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Crispy
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Mr Crispy
This was bought at an auction and given to me. I have a basic idea of how it works but need some help. One of the boxes it has label that says MAK magic but they didn't seem to recognise it.

Click here to view attached image.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Yep, Mak. I saw it in their catalog years ago. The red one with the tiger - 1989. Sorry, don't remember the illusion's name.

s
Mr Crispy
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Mr Crispy
Thanks, that's the most information I've been able to find on it so far. Now If I can find an old Mak catalog maybe I can trace it by the illusion's name.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Yes it was from Mak Magic, it is called the Buddha Tube. It was their version of a sword cabinet, if I recall it appeared on their catalogs only for a short time.
This is only the second one I've seen the other is at Hocus Pocus in the showroom.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Mr Crispy
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Mr Crispy
Awesome we're narrowing it down, thank you! I've emailed MAK Magic in hopes they might still have the information on the act. It's missing several swords so I'm hoping to remake the full set and put this back on stage.
Mr Crispy
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Mr Crispy
Mak Magic was great about getting back to me, unfortunately the secrets have been long tucked away and unavailable from the maker. I am starting to wonder if it's worth trying to refurbish. If I could even find a recording of the act it will tell me enough to recreate it but it doesn't look like it was very popular. In my experience often if an act has such a short lifespan there's a reason.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Since 61magic said HP had one, did you try there?
Mr Crispy
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Mr Crispy
I tried HP and they referred me to Mak. I think I just need to get one of my assistants in it and play around to work it out. There's a couple of hints in the design to help figure it out.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Crispy, this is much like a sword basket and as you said get your assistant in and play around. There isn't much to the working other than good performer/assistant coordination.
I would say this is really more of a collectors item than a performance item, but done with the right presentation it would work.
They are a rare prop and valuable to a Mak collector.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
It might be worth your while to contact the owner of this website, to see if he can help you out with instructions. Or at least he might know more about the prop itself. (He might even be interested in buying it, if you decide to sell.)

http://www.magictrickcollection.com/mak-magic-collection/

http://www.magictrickcollection.com/about/

He has quite an extensive MAK Magic Collection.

I think I sold an item or two to him a few years ago.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mr Crispy
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Mr Crispy
Thanks for the leads, I've emailed the collector hopefully I'll be able to get more information. I'm hesitant to get rid of the prop even if it doesn't make it to the stage, my wife's grandfather gave this to us, he had found it at auction but never put it in his act.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Re the working of it... years ago when I was a teenager just getting into magic, I saw a magician do a sword box with a kid from the audience going in the box. Some years later I got to know the magician and asked them about this and wondered how much preshow prep he had to with the kid. He said he didn't do any... he said if you were a kid in a box and someone started sticking swords in it you'd get out the way if them. And that was how he'd performed it😮I don't recommend this as a way of performing, in fact I think it's positively awful, but it at least let's you know you don't really need instructions to find out the best way to make this work for you and your assistant.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Mr Crispy
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Mr Crispy
LOL, ya I don't think that type of performance would fly in today's society, one poke and you're sued. The difference on this from other acts of this type I've seen is that it appears three or four of the swords are not like the rest. Don't want to say too much on an open forum though.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Wait...someone bought that beauty at auction and *gave* it to you?
I truly must start sending loved ones out to auctions! Smile
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Does anyone recognise this (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL