The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Impromptu Open Prediction" (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Here's my Impromptu Open Prediction routine.

An unprepared deck of cards is used, even better with a borrowed deck of cards.
No gimmicks!
Deck of cards is examinable before and after the routine.

Effect:
The spectator himself determines the "Open Prediction" card by calling a card that he wants, any card.
No force!

The card that he called is placed on the table face up, for example "six of hearts".
This is the "Open Prediction" card.

The remaining cards are mixed by the spectator and placed on the table face down.
Now the spectator places the cards one by one on the table face up.
He stops when he wants and this card where he has stopped is placed face down on the table.

The spectator's card is turned face-up and he sees that he stopped at the "six of diamonds".
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVYgXxUY74g&t=2s

How do you like it?

Darko
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I think Vinnie M had a similar method that was posted on the Café a while back. In his case the card is placed face down and the stopped at card is "dealt" onto it. It looks good. I like Vinnie's method. Yours is a good idea but has the problem of "why not just flip the FD card FU in place?" Vinnie's soltuion ends with only two cards in the correct positions albeit FD.

Mike
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, Mike Powers wrote:
I think Vinnie M had a similar method that was posted on the Café a while back. In his case the card is placed face down and the stopped at card is "dealt" onto it.

Mike, I do not know Vinnies routine, but then Vinnies routine is not an "Open" prediction.
Here we talk about "Open" Prediction.

Darko
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I like Darko's version! He makes it look very easy... personally I don't think I have the specific skill necessary to make it look that clean (the handling of the ******)

Not sure if Vinnie's is the same as the one taught on Robberto Giobbi's Penguin lecture (which is also identical to 'Fate' by Mick Ayres, taught in the Open Prediction Project), but I'm assuming it's the same from your description and your use of quotations, Mike.

I think they both have advantages. With Darko's, the spectator deals whereas with the other one they can only say stop. However, as you say, in the face down version you end clean, whereas this one, not so much.

I'm slightly hesitant to share it publicly, but I also have a version that builds on the Mick Ayres effect. It uses a very small gimmick of sorts, but makes it miles cleaner and creates a disconnect to the method.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
Yours is a good idea but has the problem of "why not just flip the FD card FU in place?" Vinnie's soltuion ends with only two cards in the correct positions albeit FD.

Mike

Do you mean something like that (also no gimmicks)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ79hCkZDDQ

Darko
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
With Mick Ayres effect (which I am assuming is the same), the predicted card is face down but it can be shown face up before placing it down, also it can be written down, so it is indeed an Open Prediction.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
I think they both have advantages. With Darko's, the spectator deals whereas with the other one they can only say stop. However, as you say, in the face down version you end clean, whereas this one, not so much.

I end the routine also absolutely clean.

Darko
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
With Mick Ayres effect (which I am assuming is the same), the predicted card is face down but it can be shown face up before placing it down, also it can be written down, so it is indeed an Open Prediction.

Unfortunately, I do not know the routine of Mick Ayres.

Darko
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
How are the reactions when the spectators see it's a mate? Do you tell them the card they stop at will be the mate?
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I have the distinct privilege of directly experiencing Tom Baxter’s “A Dianoetic Rage” next weekend. Few have seen it, and as far as I’m aware, no one but Tom knows the secret. I’m super excited, needless to say.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:

This methode is neither from Mick Ares nor from Vinnie.
It is from Amilkar Reiga.
You can watch them on this DVD:
https://www.mymagic.com/p/dvds/secret-sessions
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, ThomasJ wrote:
How are the reactions when the spectators see it's a mate? Do you tell them the card they stop at will be the mate?

And if the deck of cards is borrowed and before the routine starts from the spectator and the remaining spectators is thoroughly mixed?
What can they say?
He can mix it again. No problem.

Darko
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
I have the distinct privilege of directly experiencing Tom Baxter’s “A Dianoetic Rage” next weekend. Few have seen it, and as far as I’m aware, no one but Tom knows the secret. I’m super excited, needless to say.

So jelly...

I hope you can report back at least a little! At least tell us if the legend is real...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, dj wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, ThomasJ wrote:

And if the deck of cards is borrowed and before the routine starts from the spectator and the remaining spectators is thoroughly mixed?
What can they say?
He can mix it again. No problem.

Darko

Genuinely curious how the reactions are. Finding a mate has always been a pretty weak effect in my experience.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Hi Ben,

Please report back on how things went with the Tom Baxter effect. Love to hear about it.

Mike
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
Hi Ben,

Please report back on how things went with the Tom Baxter effect. Love to hear about it.

Mike

It is quite legendary. I hope he doesn’t teach it to me.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Here is another entry into the impromptu category. Although you can't tell from the performance this is a heavily altered version of a Patrick Redford effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOGA_JYpGI
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Fooled the heck out of me, Steven. Good job
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Steven is this available ?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Patrick's original version is in his book 'Applesauce', as well as in Thomas Baxter's 'Open Prediction Project' (though I believe Applesauce has more work on it). He also teaches it in one of his Penguin lectures.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Impromptu Open Prediction" (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL