The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Deportation Coins and Dreamers (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Maybe it was the tacos I made last night, but I began thinking of coin effects that could use current political issues as a presentation theme (when appropriate to audience)

Some coin gaffs use Centavos such as Scotch & Soda and CSB. Imagine two Dreamers, one Mexican and one Chinese who just want to stay at home ...

The popular "2 in Hand" routine can be done with one silver and one Centavo - the silver goes wherever it wants, but the deported Centavo always finds a way back home ...

a folded soft tortilla or two can be used in a Matrix type routine and even have secret pockets for added "spice."

Coin and Cylinder can even be "piling immigrants in a van."

one can certainly demonstrate how even if a wall is built, people will still magically get across.

just musing ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
You never know who you might offend, so I would be super careful mixing politics with patter. Good thoughts though for coins across.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
For me, immigration is a social issue. It is only "politics" because politicians make it about power and money. My Mexican born brother-in-law is only offended by hypocrisy and liars - never about facts like many Mexicans are in this country illegally. Most politicians are lawyers and already offensive. Smile Who are we to worry about?

As noted "when appropriate to audience," but concern over who might be offended seems the wrong focus for doing magic.
Everyone is offended by something these days, and able to use FaceBook to find others who will join their pity party.

By demonstrating that the impossible can be overcome in life, performance magic can instill hope along with mental diversion from boredom.

Yup, I would avoid mixing politics with patter - or religion. Just not concerned about people finding goblins under the bed.

I'm mostly Irish so I can't use English Pennies, right? Just joking - I know you have a point, just trying to put it in perspective.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
The subject is not good regardless how you want to put it, when there are at least two ways to see an idea you will end confronting people, if this is your intention, fine but if you want to entertain with magic there are so many subjects to pick from that deportation would be the last one to think about it.

look at Translocation from David Regal, Chinese, English penny and half dollar coins and he made it as a travelling journey.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Deportation Coins and Dreamers (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL