The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magicians in Baja Mexico? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
I am looking at retiring in Cabo San Lucas in a couple of years so just wondering if
any of you live in or around there now?
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Andrew, I do not live there, but do have a timeshare and visit almost every years for the past 15 years. We love it there, however we are on vacation. Pattrick
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Ahhh someone responded Smile thank you sir! yeah, I don't imagine too many people will respond in this thread
as Baja is so specific. I'm just wondering what performing magic is like there.
Lot's of opportunities etc? heat changing what we wear etc..
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can't speak to Cabo specifically but more the Caribbean in general if you like extensively.

Humidity will change the way you think about performance. If you do mentalism with billets expect goo in your pocket. If you work with cards they swell up and can become unmanageable very quickly so if you do complicated card stuff forget much of it until you adjust.

Props wear out much quicker in high humidity, and so do clothes. I do not know where you are from, but odds are that it is a humidity you are not familiar with. In the summer months it can be almost oppressive. Your hands will also swell up.

I have spent 10 years in and out of almost every place in the Caribbean and while Cabo does not specifically qualify, I have worked there and it is the exact same. None of this is insurmountable, but do be aware.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
There is a magician named Samuel who has been working the downtown tourist area. They don't pay much, just for tips I think. There was a magician who started to open a magic theater in San Jose , but I don't think that panned out. Speaking Spanish would help too. There might be a market in the upper echelon resorts for some entertainment, but that would be an adventure. Be sure to check out The Happy Ending, my favotite bar.
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Yes, the heat is a concern for me. I live in WA state where the average temp is somewhere in the 60's I believe.
I like to wear sport coats/suits etc..of course for the pocket space and I enjoy working out of the breast pocket for certain
tricks that involve a wallet.

My wife is Mexican/American and her oldest son lives in Cabo. I understand that English speaking people are all over in that area
so I think I would feel comfortable in that regard.

Anyway...thanks for the information Dannydoyle and Pattrick Smile
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Sure, but you better forget the sport coat, golfer shorts with extra pockets, Tommy Bahama has some too. John Born bag works good too. Take extra props as there is no magic shop there and they tell me that getting deliveries can be long and many times the packages are opened prior to delivery. ( according to a few locals I have talked to). August and September is when a lot of locals leave because of the heat and humidity. Best wishes.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you plan on delivery good luck.

But don't think it is the heat. The humidity is the problem.

If you work for tourists don't worry about the language.

Personally I would remove as many props as possible from your work. If you are talking about walk around stuff it is just not practical in the environment ti carry a lot of stuff with you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Patrick I just realised where you live. I drive 53 footers and delivered to ups there only yesterday
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magicians in Baja Mexico? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL