The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Making a card disappear from a deck without palming (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2017, Bob G wrote:
Thanks, Ben. I looked briefly at some reviews, and this looks like a great book. How difficult is the Cabolo Maneuver? Just to give you some context, I've been working on magic for about a year, and can do a few simple sleights: braue reversal, optical false cut, overhand lift shuffle, double undercut, some others I'm not remembering at the moment, but that should give you the idea.. I'm working on a strike double lift, which is steadily improving but isn't there yet and probably won't be for a while. .

Personally, I think it’s pretty easy if you follow the instructions. This is what it looks like.

https://youtu.be/P3A4r7i6MKk

This is a very simplistic example of something you could do with it.

Ben
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
And no, if they were to check the cased deck at that moment, they wouldn’t find the card that magically went to your pocket.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
There are other ways. Some methods hide the card while it is in fact still in the deck. There are also chemical ways of making cards seem to disappear from a deck.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Ted Lesley
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Magicfish: Hugh Grant.

Seriously, though, can you elaborate?
Chris03
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Chris03
I also agree with Ben Blau, the Cabolo maneuver is easy. Like any other handling like the simple ones you need to repeat to make sure every thing is perfect.
Yes I have Azymptotes and I am very happy to read it, thanks Ben.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2017, Bob G wrote:
Magicfish: Hugh Grant.

Seriously, though, can you elaborate?

1. Yes I can, read Ted Lesley.
2. Hugh Grant was an amateur?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Hey Ben, I'm a little unclear about what exactly you're claiming as original in that video? Happy to take this to PM if you'd like.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Hey Ben, I'm a little unclear about what exactly you're claiming as original in that video? Happy to take this to PM if you'd like.

Sure, PM me.
cfirwin3
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, New York
233 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
I know what you mean. I am not comfortable with palming in general. But there is a sense in which you can face your fear and not have to worry about the nuances and angles of 'palming' the card off.
I would recommend that you do this at a table... but I would gambler's cop it off the bottom and then lap it. The move is so smooth and the 'heat' lasts only for a fraction of a second as you set the cards down on the table. The misdirection is also built in.

This solution is like having your cake and eating it too.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, cfirwin3,

This is intriguing. I love tricks that provide relatively easy ways to learn intimidating moves.

In what sense is the misdirection built in? Would I need to create a reason to sweep my left hand toward the edge of the table? Or perhaps the right-hand's motion, in carrying the deck to the table, covers the left hand's motion?

Bob
cfirwin3
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, New York
233 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2017, Bob G wrote:
Or perhaps the right-hand's motion, in carrying the deck to the table, covers the left hand's motion?

Bob

This here.
The stealing hand "squares" the deck back. The carrying hand drops the deck to table (which is the misdirect) and the stealing hand laps the card from off the near edge. The whole process is over as quickly as it begins and it's a natural motion, especially after doing something like spreading the cards.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Got it. Very cool.
vernonscigar
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of vernonscigar
Quote:

The normal way to do a convincing control is to lower the cards and then cull them. Ben seems to have changed the timing so the card is culled while the spread is still upright. Quite an interesting variation.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
There was a method in I believe Apocalypse where you have the spectator sign their name on a card with a crayon, the wax causes it to adhere to the card under it. Not sure how you'd reproduce the card.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2017, vernonscigar wrote:
Quote:

The normal way to do a convincing control is to lower the cards and then cull them. Ben seems to have changed the timing so the card is culled while the spread is still upright. Quite an interesting variation.

I think that was more an artifact of the low camera angle than anything.

But even so, it's a standard finesse that most add to the convincing control after studying the move (see Dan and Dave's handling, for example). It also goes back to the original Marlo Hierophant writeup, if not earlier.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
A perfect device for making one or more cards "disappear" is Jeff Kaylors TKO gimmick. As it happens the glide position in the left hand would lead directly into a face card disposal..
The TKO gimmick is so clever I am having to be strict with myself not to overuse it in any one performance.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Since it was mentioned, here’s a video on my thoughts regarding the Hofzinser Control.

https://youtu.be/26gjFSRmPKs

Ben
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2017, Gerald Deutsch wrote:
See Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Eraser" in Reputation Makers.

Shhhhhh! Ahem..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Making a card disappear from a deck without palming (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL