The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Need 5 reviewers for Umbrella Code (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dscanning
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of dscanning
Need 5 people to review a new PDF that introduces a new marking system specifically designed for Bicycle cards. It is an easy to learn, easy to remember system. I need seasoned card workers who are familiar with standard marking system to assess if this is a worthwhile contribution to the magic community. It is a fairly quick read and won't require too much of your time, but I do request that you give a review on this forum, be it good or bad. It is entitled "The Umbrella Code". If interested, please send me a PM.
Take care and take cards,
Doug Canning
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
779 Posts

Profile of andykean
My review thoughts
Great instructions easy to mark up the deck Smile

Overall this is a great little marking system.
Very easy to learn, next to no memory work.
It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" ideas, very practical and a definite worker with traditional rider backs.
I would be surprised if this hasn't been done previously, personally I have seen similar systems, but not exactly the same system before.

Those looking for a practical method to make their own maked deck this would be a great place to start.
Good luck with the release
Cheers
Andy
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of sychou
My review:
I really like it,especially the mark for value is a great improvement than some earlier version of self marking system,
it's easier to read and less time to mark the value by using your umbrella code system.
The mark for suit however I think I will stick to the ones I use before.
Overall,I think although I can't say this is better than the marketed manufactured version,
this is definitively a real practical version of self made marking system,it's easy to make and easy to learn, and this is something I will use.
Congratulation my friend for coming up with such worker version of marking system.
dscanning
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of dscanning
Thank you Sychou and Andy for each of your kind reviews. I should mention that I will be selling the pdf for the Umbrella Code for $5.95, but I still need two more reviewers if someone wants to get it for free before it goes on sale!
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
816 Posts

Profile of nique
Doug was kind enough to send me a copy and after I went through it, I quite like it. It is similar in some respects to other systems I've seen and I have even used a similar system that I came up with before, but if using this type of system, I think this one makes the most sense.

I initially thought that it'd be difficult to read when I first saw the main idea, thinking it'd be slow and that a lot of thought needed to be put into it. However in the PDF, Doug had some card backs for you to try to read and I was actually pleasantly surprised that I could do it relatively fast. It will also take you a really short time to finish marking up a deck using this system, which is convenient.

For self made marked decks, I've been using Pete McCabe's and I will continue to do so, but The Umbrella Code is good knowledge to have. Thanks for sharing your ideas with me Doug!

~ Nique
"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction" is now available!

PM or email me for details:

nique@mindmagicshow.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3820 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I found it to be a system worth learning / knowing that you can make up a deck in a quick pinch for a performance. It is a new take on an old method which is why I can say with certainty that it will work. It will get past laymen (it has even been used by real poker cheats many years ago). The only drawback is you need to see a bit more of the card to get the full reading than other methods, yet it is better hidden than others at the same time. As with any marked deck, you must weigh the pros with the cons. But one must remember that “we, as magicians” tend to worry more than we should about getting caught. You can work with a marked deck all night long and no one would have a clue if you use it properly just as easily as working with a regular drug store deck so well that you get accused all night of using marked cards. Smile

The instructions are well written, easy to understand and simple enough for a beginner to make up a deck and be using it confidently after just a little practice. There are clear instructions on how and where to do the marks as well as several examples you can look at and “read” like a “pop quiz” or “quick test”. I would imagine that every magician has everything that is needed to make one up too. If not it is one of the simplest items you will have had to pick up for a “arts and crafts” project in a long time. It can be used on rider back bicycle decks simply enough with red, blue or black backs (the three most common) other less common rider backs can also be marked in the same manner.

Most importantly, with all these fancy marked decks coming out at a price range of $15 - over $30 per deck, this is a very cost effective alternative. Even the new Penguin Marked decks that are coming out at only $5 per deck pale in comparison due to the fact that they had to be made on “Maiden Backs” do to Bicycles rules. Now, I am one who agrees you can get those by a spectator without them noticing the difference. I have also used a “Mandolin back” and “Maiden Back” gaff in a “Rider Back” deck and gotten away with it. Why do it if you can just mark your own deck of “Riders” basically for free. (The cost of the PDF is minimal and even insignificant if you only mark a couple decks using the method) that even makes a mere $5 marked deck with a different back seem costly.

All in all. This is a solid PDF and worth the minimal amount asked if you are in the market to mark some cards on your own that actually works.
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
dscanning
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of dscanning
Thank you, Poof Daddy for that thorough review. Poof Daddy knows his magic inside out, so I consider it an honor to be reviewed by someone with such an extensive knowledge of the history of our great art!
Doug Canning
dscanning
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of dscanning
All the reviews are in (see above). If you are interested in learning the easiest and (I think) best card marking system available, the Umbrella Code is now available for purchase on Ebay or just email me privately! Here is link to ebay listing!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322832743668
Take care and take cards!
Doug Canning
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
711 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I did e mail and have had no response.The one on E bay has sold.So for all intents and purposes I cannot buy this.
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Yep, the ebay sell is closed... I have too sent you a pm...
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
711 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I also see he has not posted for 13 days.It is a shame that this no longer available for purchase..I will explore other options.
dscanning
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of dscanning
I thought my ebay sale was good for 30 days. I apologize for the frustrations encountered. Anyone interested in purchasing Umbrella Code, please send $5.95 via PayPal to dscanning@verizon.net and I will shoot you the PDF right away via email as attachment.
Thanks!
Doug Canning
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
711 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Problem solved. thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Need 5 reviewers for Umbrella Code (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL