The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Show front Lighting (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stu Robinson
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Stu Robinson
G'day, new member here. Something I should have done a long time ago.

Wondering if some people can give me advice on the best type of front lighting for an illusion show. I notice that a lot of illusionists simply use follow spots instead of a front lighting rig of fresnels, pars, etc. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Stu Robinson
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Stu Robinson
I should also add, we have previously been using pars and fresnels on the floor in front and on lighting bars. But now since we are doing larger and more frequent shows, time and practicality has become an issue. I was hoping a big follow spot may solve the issue. Thoughts?

Cheers
james.ireland28
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of james.ireland28
I would have thought that with some strong side- and back-light, a follow-spot or two is all that would really be needed from the front. Of course it depends what sort of effects you're presenting and how flexible the rig needs to be, but I doubt a full front wash would be necessary.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
863 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
A followspot tends to be rather harsh for the sole means of front lighting, especially since it is coming from a single angle, usually straight-on. Personally I would avoid that option. I have done several shows with LED PARs, and you can get a pleasant wash in multiple colors quite easily.

I usually start with the McCandless method of lighting as it gives a very pleasant wash and is a versatile place from which to design.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1400 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Way to bust out the McCandless method Frank!!!!! Nice!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Stu Robinson
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Stu Robinson
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2017, james.ireland28 wrote:
I would have thought that with some strong side- and back-light, a follow-spot or two is all that would really be needed from the front. Of course it depends what sort of effects you're presenting and how flexible the rig needs to be, but I doubt a full front wash would be necessary.

Which is pretty much what I was thinking, as with the mcCandless method which has also been suggested, it would be difficult to always have a front lighting bar or truss available in every venue.

Obviously, as Frank has suggested the mcCandless method is the best example of consistent and smooth front wash. And not much is required, just not always practical.

Thanks guys!
thomasR
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Are you asking what you should purchase? Or what you should request from venues?

A theatre / performing arts center of any size should have a decent front wash. That's really all you need for front lighting. A follow spot can be useful for certain tricks but to take full advantage of a spot you need a real Lighting Director to call the spot cues (and a proper Com System for them to communicate, most theaters will have this but if you are bringing your own spot to events in gymns or convention centers you will need to provide this, or ask for this to be provided).

Now if you are asking what you should purchase for non-theatre events (setting up an illusion show in gym, multi-use building, convention center, etc.) you aren't going to want to invest in a front truss or anything like that. I would say get some good quality LED Pars and a couple of "trees" for front lighting. If you want to go cheap, work lights from Home Depot can be put on a dimmer and they make great side / front wash fixtures.
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
Phase 1 - Two light trees with LED wash. If you can troupe with Genie super lifts to get wash 12 to 14 feet high that is best. Follow spot for key pickups. Phase 2 Genie Super lifts with 3 10 foot mini beam truss for FOH LED wash. 2 follow spots for key pick ups. Phase 3 - Add to Phase 2 movers on FOH truss, Movers on stage deck, Phase 4 - Add back of stage truss with LED Wash and movers. Phase 5 - Sky is the limit
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Show front Lighting (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL