The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looking for Magnet source (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I'm looking for a larger diameter rope magnet for larger diameter rope. All I have found so far is small diameter the doesn't fit the rope very well.
Any info would be appreciated.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
siepielski
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of siepielski
Go here. If they don't have it, it aint being made -

http://www.kjmagnetics.com
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I'm back looking for the perfect magnet. I found the Neodymium magnets are too strong for what I'm doing.
When you use a short length magnet securing it in the rope is very difficult, and when using a longer length the holding power is too much. The magnets are fantastic for swinging the rope around or even some tugging but are really difficult for some of the subtle separation of the ends during a routine.
I'm wondering if any of you have used the ceramic type magnets,if so where did you get them and the sizes work best.
My routine is somewhat like the Tabary routine with many of the common moves so smooth easy separation is essential.
Thanks
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'd suggest cow magnets, but they may be too large. From what I remember they're about 1/2" in diameter and about 3 inches long. They may attract too much from the sides, however.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You will have to experiment with different modern glues at fabric stores. The magnet should be on the inside of the rope. You might purchase the Empire Lasso card Rope trick, to see how they make it work.

Manufacturing processes in magic have long been top secret, and not exposed to magicians.

You might try a glue called 6000 or Fabric Fusion.
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
Glue a non-ferromagnetic spacer onto the end of one or both of the rope magnets. Little disks of the same diameter as the magnet cut or punched from some plastic packaging might be good. Or try a small, thin, rubber or nylon washer. Trim a tiny thickness off the end of a wooden dowel that matches the magnet's diameter. Lots of possible solutions. By using one or more layers, you can control how close the magnets can come to each other, and thus control the force.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Excellent thoughts Emory. I am an inventor and yes if you can add some spacers to neo magnets, you can control how strong their attraction force is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looking for Magnet source (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL