The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best reel for heavy stuff (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

milesart
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
215 Posts

Profile of milesart
Which is the best available reel who can handle also heavier stuff? looking for a quality product that is also easy to maintain.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Key-Bak brand reels are the best to and easiest to convert to a great heavy duty magic reel.

milesart, did not say what he considers "heavier stuff", and how he intends to use it.

Right now, there are no magic reels being made, except by some gimmicked coin company, that is not in the U.S.

Reels are invisible gimmicks to the audience. The heavier the object, the thicker the line. All the power in the world is of no use, if the line can handle the weight.

Maybe just a simple elastic pull will work best for your purpose.

Currently in magic there are 4 types of pulls: elastic, pendulum, hold out aka invisible hand, and finger, locking, and converted reels.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Has anyone tried this reel , the Perfect Reel (locking) by Premium Magic ? --

https://www.daytonamagic.com/perfect-ree......ine.html

It says:

Quote:
Features...

Strong line

Compact design

Silent

Multiple uses

I would appreciate a review if anyone has this item. Is the locking mechanism reliable ? How silent is "silent" ? (most reels seem to need some tweaking to make them silent , although for my purposes I don't plan on using a reel close-up , so as long as it is reasonably quiet it will probably work for me).

------

Thinking about locking reels, there is this new product from Key-Bak -

https://www.keybak.com/collections/new-p......g-tether

Note the description:

Quote:
Just pull the retractor to the desired length and the cord will lock in place. With an easy tug on the cord, the reel unlocks and retracts.

Probably not quiet , but there may be things that can be done to adapt it to dampen the noise.

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2018, Dougini wrote:
How about this?

http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/......oduct=82

I've got one of those . It will move a silk across the stage (drop it , walk away from it , it jumps to your hand or into a hat at your command) .

It won't move anything heavy .
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
What about one of those dog reels, they come in different sizes?
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
284 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
The PythonPull advertises that it can pull 12oz. It is Non-locking and the manufacturer discloses that it is noisy and not suitable for close-up.
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
284 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
Forgot to mention that the 12oz pull is for the strongest one of their offerings.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Best I have ever seen is a Thornton Windlass marketed by the old Kantner's magic Company.

Built like a tank.....and could probably pull a tank across the stage!

Good luck finding one.......
maklakmak
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of maklakmak
David Todd - you asked about the Premium reel. On day one the cable on mine retracted at speed and broke! I returned it to the retailer who said he too was not satisfied with the quality and gave me a full refund.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2018, Rainboguy wrote:
Best I have ever seen is a Thornton Windlass marketed by the old Kantner's magic Company.

Built like a tank.....and could probably pull a tank across the stage!

Good luck finding one.......

A Thornton Windlass has as long as a 30+ foot long fine thread. It contains a weak duplex spring mechanism. It is NOT strong and will not pull a tank across the stage - a light weight silk is the limit. These reels show up at auctions a couple times per year and end up selling for $100-$200 depending upon the usual factors. There are strong reels but a Thornton is not one of them. Do a google search.
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magic Researcher, I believe you are being modest. The line should be in the 60 to 80 feet in length. If you have one, then it need to be refurbished.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2018, maklakmak wrote:
David Todd - you asked about the Premium reel. On day one the cable on mine retracted at speed and broke! I returned it to the retailer who said he too was not satisfied with the quality and gave me a full refund.

Have to ask if you had something attached to the Premium Reel. As no reel should be retracted without the end of the line being held, or something attached to the line. All finger and locking magic reels will break if this rule is not adhered to.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
David Todd has not responded, meaning he did not have anything attached to the reel. If I was the dealer, I would never have refunded his money, He broke on purpose and cost the dealer for his actions.

Some people should never be allowed to touch anything, as everything they touch breaks.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
David Todd has not responded, meaning he did not have anything attached to the reel. If I was the dealer, I would never have refunded his money, He broke on purpose and cost the dealer for his actions.

Some people should never be allowed to touch anything, as everything they touch breaks.

Bill, after reading the quote in which you asked if something had been attached, David Todd was being addressed by maklakmak.
Twas maklakmak that failed to answer. Has David Todd just been hit with friendly fire?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Bill, after reading the quote in which you asked if something had been attached, David Todd was being addressed by maklakmak.

Twas maklakmak that failed to answer. Has David Todd just been hit with friendly fire?

Oh, this is interesting. I just came across this old thread from last year when doing a search about locking reels, still looking for anyone who has posted a proper review of the 'Perfect Locking Reel' by Premium Magic.

Wravyn is correct. I am NOT the person who posted about their Perfect Locking Reel breaking. That was maklakmak responding to my earlier post inquiring about the 'Perfect Locking Reel' by Premium Magic .

So, there was nothing for me to respond to with regard to how the reel was being used when it broke. Not my reel, so not my place to respond for someone else.

Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best reel for heavy stuff (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL