The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Can someone identify this set? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I pulled out a bunch of coins that I haven’t looked at for about 20 or more years. They were separated into small bags, which I assume means that the coins in each bag is a set.
Coin 1 - 1 side is a US half, the other side a. Rasps centavos. Over this coin fits Chinese shell with a hole in it.
2- a Chinese coin that matches the shell. (the shell does not fit it)
3- brass centavos
4 - US half

Look familiar?
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
Could this be a CSB set with an added (necessary) half dollar included?
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Jamie, it could very well be. Actually, I hope it is. I really want to learn the routine. (Actually, the only routine that I remember from those days is Scotch & Soda that I bought from Paul Diamond at a convention in the Catskills)
Thanks for the reply.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Yup, definitely sounds like a CSB set. If you're saying that these four were bagged separately, I suspect it was just to protect the coins.
The best indicator is the edge of the shell - if it's partially milled (like the half dollar) then it's the typical variety. Based on the style of the Chinese coin, you can probably also determine the manufacturer.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:
Yup, definitely sounds like a CSB set. If you're saying that these four were bagged separately, I suspect it was just to protect the coins.
The best indicator is the edge of the shell - if it's partially milled (like the half dollar) then it's the typical variety. Based on the style of the Chinese coin, you can probably also determine the manufacturer.

The coins were all in one envelope. I’m fairly sure that it’s a set from Johnson. I bought them in the late 70s. It’s a Kennedy set.
I have half a dozen other envelopes, each containing a set.

Thanks for the reply.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Can you post a picture?
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2017, inigmntoya wrote:
Can you post a picture?

Thank you for posting. I have a SCB dvd, and it’s definitely a match.

I think that I finally have all the coins identified. A good 6 month’s ago, I sent photos to Johnson. I guess that they didn’t have time, but they mailed back saying that they couldn’t identify them. When I bought them, there were only 3 manufacturers I remember, Johnson, Stirling (?), and Hayden. Johnson was the most popular.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Can someone identify this set? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL