The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
197 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
A ghost movie about the Winchester Mystery House.

Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built

WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Love the Winchester house. Been there a couple times now.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
I have mixed feelings about this, but I’m probably biased since I worked as a tour guide at The Winchester Mystery House for a while.
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
This should be an interesting movie especially for those of us that have visited and Helen Mirren should be great as Sarah.
I recommend visiting if you've never been. It is a wonderful house full of neat architectural elements.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
I know of Sarah Winchester's house since 1970's, when I read the italian edition of "Prominent American Ghosts" by Susy Smith.
“The Mystery House of the Santa Clara Valley” was by far the most interesting chapter in the book, and I always thought it would made a good subject for a movie.
I'm a bit worried by the usual "frantic" trailer...but I'd like to watch this movie, no doubt. Hope it will come to Italy, also in dvd if not in teathers.
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Another book on the Winchester house or more specifically Sarah Winchester is "Captive of the Labyrinth" by Mary Jo Ignoffo. It goes into much more detail of her personal life and disputes many of the theories propagated by the company that runs the Winchester house today.
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2017, Cleverpaws wrote:
Another book on the Winchester house or more specifically Sarah Winchester is "Captive of the Labyrinth" by Mary Jo Ignoffo. It goes into much more detail of her personal life and disputes many of the theories propagated by the company that runs the Winchester house today.

THIS!!!!! BUY THIS BOOK!!!! It used to be sold in the gift shop at the Winchester Mystery House, but it was only there for a week after the owners discovered that their names are printed in the book.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The movie's advertising says it's "inspired by the true story," which means that they'll probably mention the initial history (e.g., Sarah going to the séance), but everything else will be made up. Expect lots of jump scares and visual appearances of ghosts. It'll probably be a fun movie (as these things go), but any resemblance between this movie and what actually happened will be few and far between.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
The movie's advertising says it's "inspired by the true story," which means that they'll probably mention the initial history (e.g., Sarah going to the séance), but everything else will be made up. Expect lots of jump scares and visual appearances of ghosts. It'll probably be a fun movie (as these things go), but any resemblance between this movie and what actually happened will be few and far between.

My same feeling. As for I know ( very few ) the only 'extraordinary' fact in the House history was the 1906 earthquake.
I'd like to watch it though. Something different from teenage vampires, murdering ghosts, victorian pastiches, at least.
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
I posted this in the more recent Winchester house posting but for those not following that one;
from atlas obscura
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/re......ry-house
It looks like more of the house will be open to visitors which is great for those who have never been, but also for those of us who want to see more!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Side note: that time I took a crack at (and possibly solved) one of the Winchester House's mysteries.

https://m.facebook.com/NeilTobinNecroman......=m_notif
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Neil:
With respect, your solution is ingenious, but requires Sarah to have misunderstood the meaning of 'tables' from the quotation (not a piece of furniture) and also takes no account of the quotations' contexts--Ulysses' reference is to Cressida, and he consequently characterises thoughts as 'sluttish', while Richard, dungeoned up as he is in Pomfret castle and undergoing his celebrated apotheosis, considers thoughts a sort of population within his solitary cell, a population that recapitulates the world itself. Taken together, the quotations provide a juxtaposition of the notion of 'thought' that covers a spectrum from the profane to the sacred. As such, the glass doors (and aren't they beautiful!) could be found in an elegant public room of any literature-loving patron with a good grasp of Shakespearean philosophical discourse.

BC
Phasmologist
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Of all the wonders I have heard, sluttish, a magical word to be sure.

Grade A+ √

MRD
Phantastic
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2018, PROF BC wrote:
Neil:
With respect, your solution is ingenious, but requires Sarah to have misunderstood the meaning of 'tables' from the quotation (not a piece of furniture) and also takes no account of the quotations' contexts--Ulysses' reference is to Cressida, and he consequently characterises thoughts as 'sluttish', while Richard, dungeoned up as he is in Pomfret castle and undergoing his celebrated apotheosis, considers thoughts a sort of population within his solitary cell, a population that recapitulates the world itself. Taken together, the quotations provide a juxtaposition of the notion of 'thought' that covers a spectrum from the profane to the sacred. As such, the glass doors (and aren't they beautiful!) could be found in an elegant public room of any literature-loving patron with a good grasp of Shakespearean philosophical discourse.

BC

I have no idea what is going on here, but I know if it keeps on going, I am in...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
HI BC!

I appreciate your understanding of the material, as a fellow Shakespeare fan. However, I would suggest that in this instance, literary context is a dead end: it does not tell us why this person would choose these two quotes (from all of literature) for this room in this building.

(While they might appear to be windows which, as you say, "could be found in an elegant public room of any literature-loving patron with a good grasp of Shakespearean philosophical discourse," the fact is that they are not in the home of just any literature-loving person. I doubt there is a similar pair in the world.)

By untethering the quotes from their literary context and viewing them within personal and cultural contexts, we arrive at what may provide convincing answers to all the above questions. But by no means does this presuppose Sarah misunderstands the words; quite the opposite — she appears to be playing a sophisticated linguistic game. This is consistent with the many accounts which characterize her as quite brilliant.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL