The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The Forte Deck (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
Found this on Slim's site, thought it might be of interest.
I'm not entirely sure what the work is, but if anyone knows which video the description refers to, I would quite like to watch it.

Forte Deck:

These days, it's rare we find new techniques for gaffing cards and it's always a thrill when we stumble upon something we did not know about. The Forte deck is exactly that! This gaffed deck will give you all the advantages of a stripper deck but it feels like you do a single cut and the 'magic' has happened! Perfect for tricks requiring a stripper deck and for tricks that need color separation. In french, 'Forte' means strong, and that is the way people who we showed this feel. And who knows, you might find a videos of a guy with a similar name using it...

https://www.slimcardco.com/product-page/forte-deck
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
In French "Forte"? Seriously?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Is nothing sacred to these magicians?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of slim23
Okay, maybe french for Forte is a little "strong"...

But that was the deck Steve used in the museum section of the GPS DVDs to fool Jason with a high and low cut for Blackjack.

Not sure if that is good for a name though...

Slim
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2017, slim23 wrote:

But that was the deck Steve used in the museum section of the GPS DVDs to fool Jason with a high and low cut for Blackjack.

Slim

How can a deck like that be used for Blackjack?

Are you sure you are not referring to the game of Banker and Broker?
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Slims work is some of the very best available.

Putting in this kind of work is labour intensive, and rarely available unless you make it yourself.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2017, Cagliostro wrote:
Quote:

Slim

How can a deck like that be used for Blackjack?

Are you sure you are not referring to the game of Banker and Broker?

Pseudo-Blackjack (cutting for your hand), but based on the Hi/Lo work put into the deck??
(it's been a while since I watched my GPS)

One of the least known bits of work around.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2017, Mr. Bones wrote:
Slims work is some of the very best available.

Slim does very nice decks. Yes, he's probably one of the best deck trimmer that I know. He's also a long time friend, that's why I tease him a bit. He speaks French as well that's why I was surprised to read that the word "Forte" is French!

But truth is, he thinks he speaks French. Every Frenchman knows that French Canadians don't speak French, hahaha. War is started!
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2017, AMcD wrote:

Every Frenchman knows that French Canadians don't speak French, hahaha. War is started!

Just as every Englishman knows that the Americans, the Canadians and the Australians don't really speak English. (Then again, how many Englishmen speak English. Have you every heard the Cockney speak?)
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I don't know whether Americans, Aussies or Canadian speak true English or not, but between you and me, it's 10 times easier for me to speak with an Americans than with British people!

Even after several years spent here, I still can't understand some people. We have accents coming from outer-space here, in England, really. Guys from Essex, Liverpool, North England, etc. I don't know what language they are talking.

With American, the main trouble (if I can call it a trouble!) is women. It looks like, to me, that US women have a different language. Mainly with "R" sounds. Or the weird low tone that many young women use. But, frankly, it's okay. Nothing to do with this, for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaTTVR2JXY
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:

Slim

You seem to have lost me here initially with the word "cut" in the description so I checked the Museum Tour section of the GPS DVD set.

I do not see where he "cuts" high and low cards from a deck. At about 18:30 he shuffles a deck three times and then "strips' out the high cards (9s and above from the low cards). Is this what you are referring to when you say he uses a high and low cut for Black Jack?

If that is the case, I still don't see the advantage of using this in Black Jack, at least not as shown without further "shuffle work" being employed. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean.

It seems like the deck as shown is more suitable for doing magic tricks, for example separating the red cards from the black, etc. rather than for gambling as described.

I reason I was initially confused was back in the day the gambling supply houses made decks that were specifically used for Banker and Broker and with those decks, one could cut high or low by actually cutting the cards, not stripping them out.

My comments and query are not in any way meant to criticize the quality of slim23's work, but rather to seek clarification of the terminology used.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2017, AMcD wrote:
It looks like, to me, that US women have a different language. Mainly with "R" sounds. Or the weird low tone that many young women use.

Is you main problem understanding scantily clad US woman or US woman in general?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
We used to spend a lot of time abroad on business, mainly on the continent and we would hire hookers as interpreters and guides. They are ones who know and they made and saved us lot time and money.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
@Cag

Women in general. It really looks like to me that women an men have a different accent in USA. Same for Australia. Of course, it is surely biased because I mainly watch movies and shows. In reality it might be different. I just don't know.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
@AMcD: Don't let these woman confuse you. Stay focused. Smile

So what do you think of the Forte deck?
Peterson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Peterson
I never thought that somebody can give advice which involves hookers on the magicians forum.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Actually this is the Gambling Spot...doesn't the concept of hookers fit in here? Smile
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Yes, this is the Gambling Spot. A place second to none in the universe.

Back to topic, frankly, I don't think that much about that deck Smile. Not my thing, at all. But knowing Slim's work, it is surely good work. No doubt about it.
happy003
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of happy003
I too hsve found that Slim does great work.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
So the only complaint againt slim is he speaks French-Canadian French, which apparently isn't French in its purist form.

Did I just step in it here? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The Forte Deck (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL