The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stickman Bob by Kieron Johnson (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Mark/ Anyone~

Heard an update as to when and to what dealers are distributing these Flash Backs from Murphy's?

I just didn't want this thread to get lost...

~allen
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2017, Magic from A to Z wrote:
Mark/ Anyone~

Heard an update as to when and to what dealers are distributing these Flash Backs from Murphy's?

I just didn't want this thread to get lost...

~allen

We had then all ready to send but in the end Murphys could not arrange the shipping so they are still here.

If anyone knows of an easy way of shipping flash paper by air please let me know.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
I am carrying tweezers to help load the "fuse"

Marty
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Had a couple of misfires with the cannon really close up to the box Smile
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2017, reignofsound wrote:
Had a couple of misfires with the cannon really close up to the box Smile

With the fuse make sure it is really dry and don't ram the Bob picture in too far.

If using just flash paper you may get the odd misfire depending on how it burns and again make sure you don't ram the Bob in too far.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
This effect is pure theatre, lovely.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Just got the special steel stencil in the mail from Saturn. Really nice! Thanks for making it available, Mark.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I had a couple of people interested but everything was put on hold when it looked like the card backs would be available through Murphy's.

If getting these for $1 per card back + fuse + paper on which to draw Bob (plus shipping) is something that interests you, let me know.

There can be some issues (the Theatre Effects flash paper is shipped folded into quarters and even when I leave it under some weights, it doesn't get rid of all the wrinkles, so can have small white spots as in the bottom row), this is a pain, and I'm not going to make much, if anything on this, just trying to help people out.

If this interests you, let me know.

I'm still in discussions with the post office about how much shipping will be because the people I've spoken with so far aren't sure exactly how to classify flash paper so if anyone has any insights on that, feel free to send me a message.

Click here to view attached image.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2017, barts185 wrote:

I'm still in discussions with the post office about how much shipping will be because the people I've spoken with so far aren't sure exactly how to classify flash paper so if anyone has any insights on that, feel free to send me a message.

Just FYI, if you try to purchase flash paper through Penguin, the following warning pops up: Shipping guidelines: 1. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to ship any Flash products internationally. 2. Due to shipping restrictions, FedEx Ground service must be chosen as the shipping method when adding Flash products to your order.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Yeah
Was hoping I could buy the needed flash paper. I don’t own a color printer.....

This really stinks.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Yeah, I'm getting tired of the imperfect and arduous process for printing these at home. When will the flash card backs and string be made available, and how do I get my metal template card?
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Unfortunately we can not help with premade flash back cards to those outside the UK so you are going to have to print your own as instructed, they do not need to be perfect the spectators attention is on the canon etc not the box.

The steel card if you wish to order that is here https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/stickman-b......ard.html

Before you ask we are the only ones selling these, they are expensive to make and if we did wholesale them to other shops you would end paying more than the trick itself, so this is the cheapest way for us to supply them to the market.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I just wish I knew this before buying it.
I wouldn’t have purchased it for sure as I don’t have a printer that I can print my own.

Knowing you Mark, I fully understand this is not your fault and I know you have tried to make it work for us to get them.

How do they ship fireworks and other flammable items?
There is a gentleman here on Café that may be able to help me.

Maybe I should buy a printer and make a bunch of these to sell for you?
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
It really is a simple job to print these so I'm very surprised that no one has jumped in to print these overseas as there clearly is demand.

I guessing its the cost of the flash paper because the end price would be a lot higher than ours if you just buy the paper from a shop, print, cut and package, the cost mounts up and would leave very little profit in it.

It brings me back to just saying print your own it is not difficult.

If you look at the selling price of our flash backs it would be worth buying a printer, it would pay for itself very quickly.

This one is very cheap CANON PIXMA iP2850 Inkjet Printer only £30 in the UK, less than 3 sets of our flash backs.

A printer with a rear single sheet feeder is the easiest or one where the paper feeds vertically.

We have asked 2 suppliers and both said they don't have the time to make them, it must be because there is not much to be made printing these unless you make your own paper which they don't.

The other option you have is to use flash paper playing cards which I can see are available in the US and stick the same value card to the box.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6361

The spectator does not know what the box should be like so having a card face on the box is not out of place.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stookie31
There is an alternative solution to the flash 'back' issue.

Why not add to the cartoon nature of the whole piece and use a white plain tuck box.
Draw on the front 'Stickman Bob' with some writing, draw a canon, so it all looks home made.
This will tie in a great theme, add comedy and a further emotional hook

Then you can just use plain white flash paper on the back.

Make sure the cut-out card stuck to the box is also plain white. (easy enough to cut one single card with an exacto knife)

Sometimes it's difficult to see the wood for the trees.

Hope you like my idea.
Steve Rowe.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Good idea

You could even draw a round circle target on the flash paper and stick to a normal box using a blank card with the target on as well.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Hey Steve, that's brilliant thinking, it's not a bug, it's a feature. Instead of worrying about making the flash paper appear like a card box, make the card box look like the flash paper and give it purpose for being that way by decorating the box to suit Stickman Bob's style.

It solves one problem and I think, improves the effect. Nice!

Quote:
On Jan 1, 2018, stookie31 wrote:
There is an alternative solution to the flash 'back' issue.

Why not add to the cartoon nature of the whole piece and use a white plain tuck box.
Draw on the front 'Stickman Bob' with some writing, draw a canon, so it all looks home made.
This will tie in a great theme, add comedy and a further emotional hook

Then you can just use plain white flash paper on the back.

Make sure the cut-out card stuck to the box is also plain white. (easy enough to cut one single card with an exacto knife)

Sometimes it's difficult to see the wood for the trees.

Hope you like my idea.
Steve Rowe.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2017, Saturn UK wrote:
It really is a simple job to print these so I'm very surprised that no one has jumped in to print these overseas as there clearly is demand.

I guessing its the cost of the flash paper because the end price would be a lot higher than ours if you just buy the paper from a shop, print, cut and package, the cost mounts up and would leave very little profit in it.

It brings me back to just saying print your own it is not difficult.

If you look at the selling price of our flash backs it would be worth buying a printer, it would pay for itself very quickly.

This one is very cheap CANON PIXMA iP2850 Inkjet Printer only £30 in the UK, less than 3 sets of our flash backs.

A printer with a rear single sheet feeder is the easiest or one where the paper feeds vertically.

We have asked 2 suppliers and both said they don't have the time to make them, it must be because there is not much to be made printing these unless you make your own paper which they don't.

The other option you have is to use flash paper playing cards which I can see are available in the US and stick the same value card to the box.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6361

The spectator does not know what the box should be like so having a card face on the box is not out of place.

I've offered to print these for people, but there have been some issues getting answers from the post office about how these can be shipped and when I did finally talk to someone that seemed to know what they were talking about about, they wanted some more information and Theater Effects (the only flash paper I've seen in the US that is usable for this - if others have found other paper, let me know) had just started their vacation. I hope to get the answer this week.

But so far only a few people have even seemed interested. I'm trying to see if it's even worth the investment in mounting spray and extra ink, never mind buying a printer.
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2018, Kaliix wrote:
Hey Steve, that's brilliant thinking, it's not a bug, it's a feature. Instead of worrying about making the flash paper appear like a card box, make the card box look like the flash paper and give it purpose for being that way by decorating the box to suit Stickman Bob's style.

It solves one problem and I think, improves the effect. Nice!

Exactly, all too often we take an effect and perform it 'out of the box'.
Think beyond and make it your own, even improve it.

That's how magic developes.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2018, Saturn UK wrote:
Good idea

You could even draw a round circle target on the flash paper and stick to a normal box using a blank card with the target on as well.

I am going to do this!
I feel really dumb that I didn’t think more about this and was all disappointed.

This holiday season, I have been depressed. So I guess I let that get in the way of magic. Not good!!!

Thank you for offering more ideas!

Much appreciated.

Once I set something up. I will practice and let everyone know how it goes.

Awesomeness!!!!!!

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stickman Bob by Kieron Johnson (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL