The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best laid plans (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Here's my story from last weekend. I thought it would be fun to share.

I was on stage doing a new version of one of my favourite effects. A large whiteboard is on display. A red and a blue pack of cards are in separate wine glasses on 2 tables. The spectator names any number (it was 18), then freely chooses a deck. They open the deck and I open the other one. They verify that the decks are in a completely different order. The spectator counts down to the number. It's completely hands off. She names the card at that number. I'm about to turn the board round to show the name of the card written on it in giant letters (that night it was the 7 of spades), and send her back to her seat with the deck of cards as a souvenir. She named the 8 of diamonds. I became very aware of the 200 or so people in front of me. Luckily I realised the mistake made by her in this case, but also by me I suppose as it happened on my watch. I think sometimes it's good to be reminded that you can't plan for everything, but we still need to. Thankfully, I managed to find a successful way out and all ended well. Now I'm glad it happened but it was a scary moment. I won't share how I got out of it as I think it's more interesting to consider what you'd do. Just thought I'd share my experience!
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Actually, the most interesting to me would be to know how you got out of it. We all make mistakes. Some we can recover from, others not; in the latter case is it not better to graciously as possible acknowledge that we've failed and move on?
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Usually yes, I have no problem with that. In this case I was doing a short spot and this was the final part of the act. I couldn't afford to wash it away. I'll discuss my approach via pm but not in an open forum. Thanks for your response. Steve.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Oops, it was your closer? Now I am very curious to know how you got out of it! PM sent.
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Reply sent. I learned a lot that night! Really glad it happened though, but happy to admit I was worried for a moment.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Steve. Your experience was like standing on a cliff edge and waiting for the last push Smile
You recovered very well and your sang-froid has impressed me.
swood
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of swood
Merci! I'm not always as cool under pressure, but this time I held it together well. I once saw a well-known TV mentalist equally exposed at the end of his act on the final night of a run at the Edinburgh Festival, and after looking genuinely panicked he eventually rescued things to a standing ovation. He ditched the finale and improvised an impromptu alternative using TOXIC, and still had the nerves left to blend it in by incorporating the number of spectators and the time of the reveal into the prediction. In the end it was a masterclass to watch and I was lucky (?) to be there - I expect he had a different perspective that night, and I have often wondered what I would do in that situation. But I didn't plan it that way!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best laid plans (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL