The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Black Tiger Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Other than a conversation piece, I don't see a practical use for these except a singles of negative images to work into a mental photography deck routine. They look pretty cool but laymen will instantly think "special" deck. Great for flourishes if you are into that sort of thing but IMHO, I'll stick to what people are most familiar with. I use tacticals because they are available to most of my customers and are trusted. I use Bees and regular Bikes for the same reason. I will probably order a deck for my collection but they will see very little use except as I described above.

Just my 2 cents.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2004-04-17 04:42, Rob Eubank wrote:

They look pretty cool but laymen will instantly think "special" deck.

Agreed!
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I also agree with the above post about laymen thinking
"special" deck but at the right time and place I can see a deck like this killing.

best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Is the quality of the black decks same as the ordinary bikes? like the texture, the smoothness..etc?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Say, even if you don't use the entire deck, these could make for some interesting efects if you use your imagination.

You could create some packet type effects, or possibly add them to you full deck to do some magical changes.

You know, spectator selects a card, card is lost in pack, then you state that your card will reveal itself in an unusual way,...

C'mon, fellas, use your imagination!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I don't think a lack of imagination is in question here. I can think of several color change options and as I said above. A single card is almost ready made for a mental photography deck. Especially if you split one and make a (normal back)-(normal face) pair to show. (the edges could be a problem)

I just don't like handing specs my deck of cards because their hands could have food, oils, candy etc. on them. With a normal deck of Bikes, they very rarely ask to see the deck because they trust them.

Now take an obviously custom-designed deck and do the same effects. The cards are in question from the start. They will probably ask to see the deck. If you don't hand it to them, then the deck gets credit for your skill. If you do, the deck could be sticky, tacky or whatever upon return (whether intentional or not.)

I'd rather not have to say to my specs, "No, I don't like handing these out because they might get messed up." I don't think it would go over well.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Rob, The easy solution is to carry some white cotton gloves around with you. Then if a spec wants to handle the cards mke em' put the gloves on first. ;D

Just ordered 6 and the darn postage was nearly as much as the cards Smile (UK).
I do alot of flourishes aswell as card magic and these look like a boon to what I perform.
I make my own gaffs (not that I use them much as I like to use a standard deck) so I cant see any problem there.
I have no problem handing out my decks so any spec is free to examine all.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Don't think I would use the whole deck unless I had a good presentation as to why I'm using it.

But if using a packet or one of these - cards I can see many ideas and routines, One such these would be great for an "Oil and Water" effect, laymen love "Oil and Water" even if we don't.

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Tempted to pick up a couple of six-packs of these cards to make up sets of my wildcard.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I don't disagree with you, Partizan, but I have to ask myself, "Which would I rather show to a spectator, magic or my deck of cards."

Please don't get me wrong. I think this deck is very cool (if a bit overpriced.) I just can't see it replacing what I usually use. If I was a flourish performer then I'd buy a bunch. The last thing I want to do when performing is to arouse suspicion unless it is my misdirection.

The cards do have some very good possibilities, just not as a whole deck except for a conversation piece. I'll end up buying one or two for my collection but that's all. I'd rather my audience focus on me, my presentation and my magic.

This is my opinion. Your viewpoint is welcome to vary.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-04-17 10:51, Rob Eubank wrote:
I don't think a lack of imagination is in question here. I can think of several color change options and as I said above. A single card is almost ready made for a mental photography deck. Especially if you split one and make a (normal back)-(normal face) pair to show. (the edges could be a problem)

I just don't like handing specs my deck of cards because their hands could have food, oils, candy etc. on them. With a normal deck of Bikes, they very rarely ask to see the deck because they trust them.

Now take an obviously custom-designed deck and do the same effects. The cards are in question from the start. They will probably ask to see the deck. If you don't hand it to them, then the deck gets credit for your skill. If you do, the deck could be sticky, tacky or whatever upon retun (whether intentional or not.)

I'd rather not have to say to my specs, "No, I don't like handing these out because they might get messed up." I don't think it would go over well.

Some very good points, Rob.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On 2004-04-17 12:53, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Tempted to pick up a couple of six-packs of these cards to make up sets of my wildcard.

Jon, Have you ever published this routine?

Best
Joe
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
No disrespect Rob but...I would of thought that as a clown you present an alternate view of the human face, and this would elicit the same response in your spectator as an alternate view of a deck of cards.
- Mark Twain
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
As a clown, I merely present a reason to smile. My act presents a reason to laugh and my face presents an emphasis of expression that aids in both.

My magic, while comedic in presentation forces my spec to take me seriously. My persona during my magic act is sort of a "what happened???, puzzled, I didn't see it" approach.

My Make-up, costume and props do not get in the way of my performance or vice versa. To pull this deck out of my pocket instantly invokes a challenge of, "This Deck is not right, how different is it?" These cards don't work for me. My timing, delivery and indeed most of my act deals with surprise endings. These are a surprise beginning which I feel would detract from what I do. I rarely have a spectator ask to see my cards. These cards would change that making gaffs for these cards a waste of my effort.

How effective would Invisible Deck, Oblivion, Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3 card Monte, Phil Goldstein's B'Wave or even a Svengali Routine be with these cards? I think the spectator would guess before you even start that "the cards are special!" As a short diversion in a mental photography deck, (a negative image) I see a lot of potential.

You seem to have taken it personally that I don't want to use them in my act. I'll admit, this deck is probably the coolest flourish deck I've ever seen. I just think they are very limiting on magic performed with them. They don't fit my style. Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I also would never use them as my "regular" deck because they're not "regular" looking.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
OOTW ??? Think about it...
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Quote:
You seem to have taken it personally that I don't want to use them in my act. I'll admit, this deck is probably the coolest flourish deck I've ever seen. I just think they are very limiting on magic performed with them. They don't fit my style.

No Rob, I was only winding a poor clown up. Sorry mate.
- Mark Twain
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
No worries. I've actually very much enjoyed explaining my position on this.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I think they could have many creative uses. I also feel strongly that the magician creates suspician not the cards. The cards are the bridge between the physical world and the world of magic. If the cards are not gaffed, then your magic will reflect this innocence. If a spec thinks a card is fake then it does not matter what it looks like.

This deck could be used for a very good story trick as well. If one were to take this deck out to tell a story with, then it's appearence can perhaps become relevent. Just some thoughts...
Drive Carefully
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2004-04-18 06:05, LeConte wrote:
the magician creates suspician not the cards.

I'm not sure I can agree with you on this. Levitating a balloon is less impressive to a layman than levitating a rock (even a foam one.) Our profession is all about appearances.

Quote:
On 2004-04-18 06:05, LeConte wrote:
If a spec thinks a card is fake then it does not matter what it looks like.

On this point I very much agree. If something appears gimmicked or different, nothing will be able to dispell that impression. These appear different. What will your audience think?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Black Tiger Decks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL