The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Changing the size of a prop (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
Suppose I purchased a close-up trick with a clever mechanism, and wanted to build it into a larger piece. To actually build the prop as a larger illusion, possibly with a new exterior, but with the same mechanism.

What if I purchased a large illusion, and then built a small version for close-up?

Assuming you are just performing them and not selling them, and that you have purchased the original product or design, where are the boundaries on these types of alterations or re-designs? In general the legality is pretty simple to determine in each case, but I'm interested in how creators feel about these things, and whether there are standards in the community.

I have a specific idea that I'd be willing to share over PM with someone knowledgeable, but my creative tendencies are in this direction so I'd love some general input as well.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I personally see no issue with it, especially if you are not doing so to resell the props but for your own use. I've done the exact same thing a few times with some of my props. Or, I have built a similar prop with modifications or a different design of one I owned.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I also have changed sizes of props that I have bought....Go for it!
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I did the same thing with Dean's Box, I wanted to make it Palm Size. I simply called up Dean, asked his permission and he said sure.. Check with the creator, most likely they won't mind.

Jake Jr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Changing the size of a prop (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL