The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Magician's Rope, circa late Sixties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1325 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
The other day while cleaning up some of my stuff, I came across a piece of magician's rope dating back to the late Sixties.

I couldn't help but notice how the quality of magician's rope has drastically changed from the Sixties till now.

While the current hanks of rope being sold in magic shops today aren't bad, to me they are still quite inferior to the quality of rope sold in magic shops just a few years back.

Does anyone know how and why this occurred over that time period?

Thanks,

Gerry
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6971 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I would guess that the rise in prices of COTTON, is a factor. Denny Loomis and I 'usta' buy SPOOLS of rope at the start of a season. In fact, Denny broke the record for rope orders at Abbott's!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1325 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Dick,

You could very well be right about that.

I have to say the old magician's rope just felt great when you held it in your hands.

Gerry
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6971 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I understand! Since reading Ralph Hull's "Fifteen Minutes With A Piece Of Rope", when I was about 15, I've been very interested in rope tricks!

I remember buying several hanks of "TV" rope from Frances Marshall, back in the '70s. It was thicker than the standard rope, sold by the dealers. I didn't use it for C&R!!! It was reserved for the Nightmare, ring and rope stuff, and, gifts for friends who used it for the same! My supply has shrunk! I'll be 86 on December 11, so, I figure that I have a "lifetime" supply!!!

I haven't seen or handled the BARONIAN rope, but, I hear good things about it.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Magician's Rope, circa late Sixties (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL