The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Advice-----Please (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of TheHillusionist
Good evening fellow magicians. I am a seasoned magician and have decided to venture into Stage and parlor Magic.

I started as a street performer and stroller. I have now began doing birthday parties, weddings Bachelor parties, Charities and the like.

I have just realized that I love the art of silk and have been working on a few routines. I was going to outline what I have come up with so far but instead am deciding to get right to the point of the thread.

One of my biggest inspirations was watching Scott Alexander explain his Hanky Panky effect on his Penguin Live lecture. I began studying Rices silk encyclopedia and can honestly say that I am now addicted. (I am no Rice expert -- only a few pages). I love the colors,the texture... just everything about silk Magic excites me.

I purchased the prisoners silk and unfortunately the instructions are horrible and have yet to be able to make them work. Still not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I am in search of good advice on quality silk routines that are audience tested, extremely visual, that are suitable for all ages and of course are fun to perform. I also want to have fun by incorporating gags, etc.

20th century silks

This is the first purchase that I would like to make. I've done some research -- not coming into this blindly. From what I've read, Bob Sanders makes and sells some incredible sets. Unfortunately, I have sent Bob two or three emails and have not received a response so I suppose that's out of the question. I am now exploring silk king studios website and have inquired about the rainbow silks 20th century routine ( to save some money I asked if they carried irregular silks for this and they replied that they still do).

I am also intrigued by the Douglas silk set found on their site. However they are all sold out and will not be producing any more. I have been unsuccessful in locating them anywhere else.

Thirdly I kind of like the description of the "baffling bloomers" silks and routine found on their site. Unfortunately I cannot find much info on this product, which makes it tough for me to lay down hard-earned cash.

Then of course there is Hanky Panky Itself by Scott Alexander which I am in total love with.... as it also incorporates a prisoners silk ending, which in my opinion is one of the strongest silk effects there are (but what do I know-- I'm just starting in silk magic). The routine itself involves some fun gags at the beginning, creating a fun, humorous atmosphere. The one qualm I have (aside from its $175.00 price tag).. is that there is a healthy amount of arts and crafts involved (say most reviewers..and Scott himself on his penguin live lecture). Some might find this funny but I even emailed Scott and asked him if there was any chance on God's green earth that he would kindly assemble it for me if I paid him to do it. Unsurprisingly... I did not receive a response. Before folks start insinuating that I'm lazy and/ or impatient please know that arts and crafts simply hae never been one of my strongest attributes (I'm learning).

Thus, regarding the 20th century silks, can anybody point me in the right direction using the information I have provided as a catalyst to get your ideas percolating?

I should mention that I am not a complete newbie when it comes to Silk magic. I obviously do silk and TT work (color changes, miniature Blendo effects, etc), use the devil's Hank for some cool productions, etc. I have also delved into Slydini's miraculous work and am beginning to enjoy playing with knotty silks ( loved Harlan's Renditions on his "knotty silks" Tarbell piece).

Some other stuff I am interested in are "mismades", "blendo's" ( obviously not the miniature stuff that I'm used to with a TT .. stuff for stage instead). I think you guys can kind of grasp the type of stuff I'm looking for.

My deepest apologies I just realized how long this thread has become. This is the excitement I was talking about.

Are there any magicians reading this that would kindly take me under their wing and point me in all the right directions to get me going on quality silks and routines similar the content of spoken about?

I am currently chatting with silk King Studios and they are awaiting my order and my PayPal address via email. After a ton of research I really like the quality I am seeing on silk King magic Studios site and think I'm going to drop some coin there. Any suggestions or recommendations from this particular site? Or any other sources for that matter?

I wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those "what's the best silk trick" type of threads. I made sure to put some thought in to it.

I very much look forward to hearing and researching any advice given by some of the greatest magical minds in the world here at the Café.

Thanks,

Jeff of Diamonds Dion
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Jeff, contact Richard Hughes http://www.hughesmagic.com/home.html he not only does the best feather flowers in the business he does great silk products.
My best advise is to purchase quality silk products, when done right they will last you a lifetime. Most of the inexpensive stuff is really cheap (not talking price) and doesn't last.
You could buy some cheap stuff to learn with and try before your really invest but don't expect much.
As for good routines there are tons and depending on the type of act you do also study Ade Duval's work, he had an entire act of silks and productions.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I would recommend reading the books and pamphlets of Pavel and Marconick for a wide variety of effective and easy to learn silk effects.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, TheHillusionist wrote:
I began studying Rices silk encyclopedia and can honestly say that I am now addicted.

Jeff of Diamonds Dion

Hi Jeff!

You have all three Rice books? Wanna do 20th Century Silks? In Vol 2, page 938 there is a version without gimmicked silks! All you need is an M-Glass. Mine is a Crystal Goblet which adds a bit of class. Silk King silks are all I have left. The rest rotted or the color bled. I still have my original Rice Rainbow silk. Perfect condition! The rest of Vol 2 gives you all you need to know about 20th Century Silks! Sympathetic Silks is another routine without gaffs. That is also in Rice. You do need an M-Glass/Goblet. PM me for details.

Doug
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, JNeal wrote:
I would recommend reading the books and pamphlets of Pavel and Marconick for a wide variety of effective and easy to learn silk effects.

That is a superb idea ... thank you very much. Marconick put out the prisoner silk so he must have some other treasures lurking.
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, 61magic wrote:
Jeff, contact Richard Hughes http://www.hughesmagic.com/home.html he not only does the best feather flowers in the business he does great silk products.
My best advise is to purchase quality silk products, when done right they will last you a lifetime. Most of the inexpensive stuff is really cheap (not talking price) and doesn't last.
You could buy some cheap stuff to learn with and try before your really invest but don't expect much.
As for good routines there are tons and depending on the type of act you do also study Ade Duval's work, he had an entire act of silks and productions.

I will definitely check out Duvall's stuff. Thank you very much for your input. I was going to go to penguin and pick up the cheap 20th century silks but I've decided I want to go big right away and practice my butt off until I get it.
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, TheHillusionist wrote:
I began studying Rices silk encyclopedia and can honestly say that I am now addicted.

Jeff of Diamonds Dion

Hi Jeff!

You have all three Rice books? Wanna do 20th Century Silks? In Vol 2, page 938 there is a version without gimmicked silks! All you need is an M-Glass. Mine is a Crystal Goblet which adds a bit of class. Silk King silks are all I have left. The rest rotted or the color bled. I still have my original Rice Rainbow silk. Perfect condition! The rest of Vol 2 gives you all you need to know about 20th Century Silks! Sympathetic Silks is another routine without gaffs. That is also in Rice. You do need an M-Glass/Goblet. PM me for details.

Doug

Hi Doug,

When I mentioned that I delved into Rices work I literally dipped into it for one night. There are a group of magicians in my city who Jam at a Pub twice a week and one of them brought some of Rice's material and I literally scanned a few pages quickly ... but I was very impressed with the little I read.

Thank you so much for the volume 2 reference. I agree that would be my logical first step in the process. I think I will order that up right now.

Sympathetic silk is something that I am severely intrigued by. I purchased Dan Harlan's knotty silks from his Tarbell series so I know exactly how the routine works.

Presentation-wise I think my favorite has to be the routine by Levent when he was on Penn and Teller. I would never copy his routine but I have a few ideas percolating about reorganizing it and adding my own twist.

I would like to know more about the M Glass and goblet. I will shoot you a p.m. the next time I get a chance.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this information .. much appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Marconic's silk magic book is out of print, but there is a limited number of them just put on the market from someone who held onto them for 40 years.

Go to www.tricksupply.com and get your copy fast. They will not be there long, since I let "the cat out of the bag", as they say.

There is 2 Marconic Silk Magic books, one by Supreme and on by Marconic. Both are excellent, but the later is by far the best, with more material.

They are even selling them at 1970 prices.
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Marconic's silk magic book is out of print, but there is a limited number of them just put on the market from someone who held onto them for 40 years.

Go to www.tricksupply.com and get your copy fast. They will not be there long, since I let "the cat out of the bag", as they say.

There is 2 Marconic Silk Magic books, one by Supreme and on by Marconic. Both are excellent, but the later is by far the best, with more material.

They are even selling them at 1970 prices.

Hi Bill, I sifted through the first 12 Pages or so on tricksupply.com that you referred me to. There are over 60 pages of publications .. lol The Marconic name did not produce any results in the search function either.

Would you by chance be able to give me the page number for that particular publication on that site? Please and thank you?

I think getting a hold of some of the Publications as mentioned on this thread is a great way to start.

Regarding the "prisoners silks" that I purchased, Bill, I actually bought ones that you referred on another thread in the forums. The product looks good but the instructions I found to be less than impressive.

Perhaps somebody on the forums would be kind enough to have a Skype session with me to help me get them together and working.

Thank you to all once again for all of your assistance
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Marconic has several books you can get, check with Midwest Magic for some of the publications. The silk magic book (really good) can be found on the big auction house and Amazon, google the title and several sources come up.
Also check on offering by Pavel he has some very creative work also.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Jeff/Hillusionist....Have you tried performing colour changing silks.

Packs small. plays big, little reset and great response.

Levent has a DVD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30_lsAqFZ5s

Patrick Page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceDCrqPn9yo

It's a worker. If you want a silk routine that's commercial and you can do just about anywhere, anytime, any audience....I don't think you'll regret the time an effort you put into this effect. Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Jeff...

In 70 years performing "coast to coast" and, "border to border", I used a lot of tricks with silks. (The props pack small and light, and, CAN, play big.)

I'll try to get back here, tomorrow, when I'm more awake, and make a few suggestions...

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 8, 2017, 61magic wrote:
Marconic has several books you can get, check with Midwest Magic for some of the publications. The silk magic book (really good) can be found on the big auction house and Amazon, google the title and several sources come up.

I will surf on down to Midwest, the big auction house and Amazon for my subsequent stops. I 100% definitely would like to get my hands on "the silk Magic Book" and "The Offering" (Pavel) that you mentioned.

Thank you

Quote:
On Dec 8, 2017, Zauberman wrote:

Levent has a DVD.

Patrick Page

It's a worker. If you want a silk routine that's commercial and you can do just about anywhere, anytime, any audience....I don't think you'll regret the time an effort you put into this effect. Smile

Good evening Zauberman ( or good morning rather)

I have done color changing silks for many years albeit with smaller silks (smaller crowds). I enjoyed the YouTube videos you posted and incorporating little gags and comedic bits suit my style and personality nicely. That is why I enjoy the looks of routines such as Scott Alexander's "hanky panky" so much.

I am definitely interested in adding a color changing silk piece to my routine but there are just so many to choose from.

I want to get knee deep in some of the old classic stuff and combine it with some of the newer trendier stuff....throw it all in a blender and create unique and stunning routines. Starting this thread seems to be working amazingly as a catalyst to begin my "silky" adventure.

Quote:

I will surf on down to Midwest, the big auction house and Amazon for my subsequent stops. I 100% definitely would like to get my hands on "the silk Magic Book" and "The Offering" (Pavel) that you mentioned.

Thank you

Quote:

Levent has a DVD.

Patrick Page

I have done color changing silksfor many years albeit with smaller silk that was used to smaller crowds. I enjoyed the YouTube videos you posted and incorporating little gag and comedic bits suit my style and personality nicely. That is why I enjoy the looks of routines such as Scott Alexander's "hanky panky" so much.

I am definitely interested in adding a color changing silk piece to my routine but there are just so many to choose from.

I want to get Knee Deep in some of the old classic stuff combined it with some of the newer Frontier stuff, throw it all in a blender and create unique and stunning routines. Starting this thread seems to be working at amazingly as a catalyst to my adventure.

Quote:

Thank you

Quote:

Levent has a DVD.

Patrick Page

I have done color changing silk for many years albeit with smaller silk that was used to smaller crowds. I enjoyed the YouTube videos you posted and incorporating little gag and comedic bits suit my style and personality nicely. That is why I enjoy the looks of routines such as Scott Alexander's "hanky panky" so much.

I want to get Knee Deep in some of the old classic stuff combined it with some of the newer Frontier stuff, throw it all in a blender and create unique and stunning routines. Starting this thread seems to be working at amazingly as a catalyst to my adventure.

Quote:
On Dec 8, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hello Jeff...

In 70 years performing "coast to coast" and, "border to border", I used a lot of tricks with silks. (The props pack small and light, and, CAN, play big.)

I'll try to get back here, tomorrow, when I'm more awake, and make a few suggestions...

Dick

Hi Dick

Firstly, I am honored that you would even stop by my thread to offer your input. I admire your work and of course am a huge fan.

I truly look forward to absorbing and studying any advice you give.

Jeff
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Oh man ... apologies for the multiple quotes above. I guess that's what happens when you try to post at 3 a.m. in the morning lol
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thank you for your kind thoughts, above.

Not to panic! What you wrote is much better than the guys who ask a question, and then, when Bill Hegbli or I, or some other person offers a legitimate response, the OP begins to add, or subtract, to his/her original question, so that the whole thread gets tangled!

You gave us a bit of background on yourself, and you asked intelligent questions....

I'm going to PM you with a few thoughts, so we don't overload this forum with too much duplication, etc. as some of your questions may have been at least partially answered.

O
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Thanks Dick,

Perhaps you're busy but I did not receive any of your thoughts yet via PM.

I ended up purchasing Scott Alexander Hanky Panky and can't wait to start playing with it
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
S'funny! I wrote a whole page...and, I just checked. I inadvertently left out the "H" in TheHillusionist. Either Theillusionist is wondering or, your letter is lying somewhere in cyberspace!!!

I'll try to copy it or perhaps I can figure out a way of printing it, or retransmitting it! --A computer maven, I'm not! (This "infernal electrisch peckenclacker" has "done it to me AGAIN!)
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 15, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
S'funny! I wrote a whole page...and, I just checked. I inadvertently left out the "H" in TheHillusionist. Either Theillusionist is wondering or, your letter is lying somewhere in cyberspace!!!

I'll try to copy it or perhaps I can figure out a way of printing it, or retransmitting it! --A computer maven, I'm not! (This "infernal electrisch peckenclacker" has "done it to me AGAIN!)

LMAO You have a way with words my friend.

Don't break your back trying to get me that message but just know that I am a fan and your words would certainly inspire me.
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
Jeff,are you sure you've got the right email addres for Bob Sanders? He alwasy ansers pronptly --- when he actually gets an email. It's <amazedwiz@yahoo.com>.

Murf
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Thanks Murph. Bob got back to me and I now have his correct contact information.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Advice-----Please (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL