The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "The Lion Tamer!" - Changeable Head Chopper (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
492 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
The topic head chopper was disccussed here many times:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17

My questions are just about this product (or similar products) which is a head chopper but does not look (directly) like a guillotine:

"The Lion Tamer!" - CHANGEABLE Head Chopper

http://www.smmagic.com/?product=lion-tamer-head-chopper

The website says:

"Check it out! A Head Chopper that won`t scare the bejeezus out of the little ones for family shows... "The Lion Tamer!"

Just like in the circus, a kid becomes the lion tamer and kneels behind the prop, sticking his head into the lion`s mouth.

The "teeth" panel (examinable) replaces the scary steel blade on other choppers ...

After the Lion "bites", the front panel is to show the teeth panel has harmlessly passed right through their neck!"

Does anybody know what is really the difference if one performs a normal head chopper or such an animal head chopper for a family audience?

How much differ the reactions of the audiences?

Do adults in family shows accept the animal head chopper more easily than the normal head chopper?

Do family audiences like this different version?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Our "Do-It-Yourself" Lion Tamer from "The Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic Book One" at the Magic Nook, based on Grant's Safari, has been used for many years in our Wiz Kid shows with no bad effects on the kids and for adults it is a penetration mystery rather than a death-defying feat.

We present it as a "test of bravery", referencing The Lion King, or the Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz, awarding the volunteer medals of bravery (or band-aids) after his experience. It's all in the presentation whether it is terrifying or just mildly scary. We do sometimes use a guillotine in our stage shows, but usually on one of our own Wiz Kids rather than someone from the audience and we use the "Hansel & Gretel" luring of the witch into testing the oven concept to get the Wiz Kid to show how it's done before the kid from the audience gets a chance (and we cue him to run back into the audience at the conclusion of the trick on the Wiz Kid, which always gets a laugh).
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Keep in mind that an "animal themed" chopper was around before Dan Wolfe released his.

Mak Magic made "Safari" years ago (Jim mentioned this above... UF Grant & Mak Magic for those who don't know the connection). I had one and sold it long ago.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Delben wrist chopper didn't use a metal blade, either. It's a wooden panel.

Also, Dan Wolfe (Smoky Mountain Magic) doesn't just make themed head choppers. He has a series of themed wrist choppers as well. There's a chance that more people might own one of those, because they are smaller / a different price point.

- Donald

P.S. I own both a guillotine illusion and a head chopper illusion, but I haven't used either in my kids or family shows in several years.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I just started using Dan's "big bad wolf" hand chopper in my family shows. It plays big and goes over well. So far, so good. Will let you know if the 'chopper" aspect becomes a problem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "The Lion Tamer!" - Changeable Head Chopper (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL