The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jeff Hobson - Thimple Thumb Tie (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Amazing effect from the most talented comedian magician in the world!
Amazing interesting routine! Do not miss this!
http://www.hobsonschoicemagic.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z2PMxP1Buc

Five stars out of five! The best purchase of 2017! Smile Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Brilliant. Very entertaining. How a magic show should be.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Nice. Wonder what you get... I assume the shoelaces... Wonder if the rings come with it too.. ?
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe you get the red shoe laces and get to watch the video on line. What you are getting is Jeff Hobson's routine and handling he has used for many years of presenting this escape.

Those rings are just standard juggling rings bought at any novelty store or web store. they are not very expensive. You could also use the inner wooden ring to an embroidery hoop, they come in many sizes.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, Eugene Chekhov wrote:

Amazing effect from the most talented comedian magician in the world!
Amazing interesting routine! Do not miss this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z2PMxP1Buc

Great hilarious performance - The way magic should be performed - To entertain.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Yeah I had seen the rings before at toy stores...Jeff just doesn't say what is included. Most effects list what you get...
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Bill Hegbli Wrote what you need to know. Smile
And most importantly, what you get is Jeff's thoughts about routine, why it looks more effective - than routine act.
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
magic___lover
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic___lover
Great. Now we just need a time machine to go back to the fifties when mocking homosexuals was acceptable.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2017, magic___lover wrote:
Great. Now we just need a time machine to go back to the fifties when mocking homosexuals was acceptable.

Smile
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2017, magic___lover wrote:

Modern Family is a highly critically acclaimed television series on a MAJOR network that's broadcast to and watched by MILLIONS of people weekly.

I do not think it would be fair to say that Modern Family or even Jeff Hobson mock their homosexual characters. However, even if they did, which I do not feel they do, it seems it is acceptable enough to do so and still win multiple Emmys.

I think you are making the common mistake most people do when they themselves are offended by something, they assume everyone must also, or should be, offended as well.

But lets not get off topic here, we're supposed to be discussing Jeff's products not his stage persona.

Of all the thumb ties I've seem this seems to be the best method, easy to get into and easy to get out of. Also, being the consummate professional he is Jeff's choice in color and style of shoelace is no mistake. Bright, bold, and with high color contrast compared to any flesh tone the laces should read from the back of even the largest theatre.

If you want to do a thumb tie of this style this seems to be the best way to do it.

On Jeff's routine, DO NOT DO IT!

Most of you will argue that part of what you are paying for is the routine and you would have the right to perform, and you would be correct. However, I would argue that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Jeff's routine works for him because of his character, Jeff's routine will not work for you because you are not Jeff. Presumably your character is not flamboyantly ambiguous about their own sexuality, the challenge for you then, apart from practicing and perfecting the method, is finding a routine than will work for your character.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Mac_stone,

Thank you for your comments. I completely agree with your comment about mocking homosexuals. Nobody has any problem with humor involving a white male, but more and more everything else is becoming off limits ... pretty soon only jokes about white males will be acceptable.

As for whether to perform Jeff's routine or not, the method is pretty obvious to a magician (not to laypeople, and it is great for them), so what is left? The only thing left is ideas from the actual routine. So, if the method is obvious to a magician, and I'm not going to purchase this to use the routine, I suppose there is no reason to purchase at all.

KJ
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
You are paying for the idea of using shoelaces for the thumb tie... and for Jeff's handling of said shoelaces. I'm not an expert on thumb ties so I'm not sure if the handling (the tie that Jeff uses) is unique to Jeff or not but using shoe laces is a nice touch as they are very visual and certainly an everyday object.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
KJ,

Thanks for your response. Before continuing this conversation I just want to point out that this is a friendly discussion on a silly topic that we as magicians, hopefully, take seriously.

There are a couple reasons to buy Jeff's routine. If you like the idea of using shoelaces you should buy his routine. As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, that's an idea original to Jeff. To walk away saying you will use the laces with out paying Jeff for his seemingly original idea is flat out wrong. Aside from the fact that he's only asking a measly $40 he has gone through the trouble of finding the PERFECT laces to use, so for $40 you save yourself the trouble of going shopping for laces.

Also I think you've confused what is the trick from what is the routine. Linking on to the hoops and the spectator are standard maneuvers for a Thumb Tie, that is literally what makes up the trick. There are a number of methods to accomplish this effect, Jeff is selling you his.

The elements that make up Jeff's routine, that are original to his character, and that only make sense in the context of HIS character are the music he chose and the way he uses it to interact with the volunteer. The particular music he chose and the particular kind of interactions he has with his volunteer only make sense in the context of HIS character.

Think about this, Jeff chose a male volunteer instead of a female. He did this because of HIS character, the laughs only work if its a man!

Now think about how it would look if YOU performed Jeff's routine EXACTLY like HIS character using a MALE volunteer. What sort of message does that send to the audience about YOUR character?

Some of you might be thinking, "Well I'll use a female volunteer instead, that fits my character better." Ok, now think of what sort of message you're sending to your audience while you grope a female on stage.

That is not to say that using music and a volunteer are what make up Jeff's routine and that you are not entitled to use either. You probably SHOULD use those elements, but looks for music and ways to interact with your spectator that makes sense in the context of YOUR character and YOUR show.

Really think about how you are going to present yourself as well as this effect to your audience. I strongly advise, and I'm sure Jeff would as well, AGAINST imitating HIS performance.

Jeff is selling you a set of tools, what you choose to create with it us up to you. Hopefully you choose to do something, if not original, consistent with who YOUR character is.

Best,

Mac
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Hobson is one of the best entertainers out there!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2017, Mac_Stone wrote:

There are a couple reasons to buy Jeff's routine. If you like the idea of using shoelaces you should buy his routine. As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, that's an idea original to Jeff. To walk away saying you will use the laces with out paying Jeff for his seemingly original idea is flat out wrong. Aside from the fact that he's only asking a measly $40 he has gone through the trouble of finding the PERFECT laces to use, so for $40 you save yourself the trouble of going shopping for laces.

No, doing the tie with shoelaces was sold by Fantasma Magic as one of their effects on their Ring Escape product. The method is exactly the same as well. the only difference is they show a wrist tie and Jeff uses the thumbs.

That being said, I will pick up Jeff's as well to see what presentation tips he offers.

Tony
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:

No, doing the tie with shoelaces was sold by Fantasma Magic as one of their effects on their Ring Escape product. The method is exactly the same as well. the only difference is they show a wrist tie and Jeff uses the thumbs.

That being said, I will pick up Jeff's as well to see what presentation tips he offers.

Tony

Yes, you are right, this idea is not new to him. Neither the shoelace, nor the method. What is new here is the routine.

I too will pick this up, and I'll create a routine that suits me, but if he is selling it, it is because he is offering it to the magic community to use, in whole, or in part. Perhaps he isn't granting TV rights, but that should be in the advert. Think of it like someone who sells a script for a play. It is not expected that someone purchasing it can't perform that play. Of course, it makes sense to make the performance your own. The way he presents it probably isn't going to work for everyone. But, if I purchase it and I think some of the elements will fit into my show, yes, I would expect to be able to use it, otherwise he shouldn't be selling it. In addition, I don't know what is going through his mind. Maybe he would appreciate seeing someone perform what he created. I know I would.

KJ
Tony Venetico
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
238 Posts

Profile of Tony Venetico
Quote:
Aside from the fact that he's only asking a measly $40 he has gone through the trouble of finding the PERFECT laces to use, so for $40 you save yourself the trouble of going shopping for laces.

I went to purchase it and it's $60 now -- did I miss some kind of a sale?
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I was presently surprised with the method. This is by far the easiest version I have ever tried, and the laces are perfect .. big, bright, and visible.

Most of us wouldn't want to adopt Jeff's campy performance, you could have great success with playing it straight as well. (Pun intended)

There is no way I would choose a woman for the participant, just too creepy. But get a big burly guy and this is comic gold.

Fits in your pocket and can play to thousands. (Have to improvise the rings ... ie. mic stand, chair, linking on the arm.)
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2017, Tony Venetico wrote:
Quote:
Aside from the fact that he's only asking a measly $40 he has gone through the trouble of finding the PERFECT laces to use, so for $40 you save yourself the trouble of going shopping for laces.

I went to purchase it and it's $60 now -- did I miss some kind of a sale?

No.

I was wrong.
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

It is not good to discuss the method in an open space.
I want to notice Jeff is a member of our forum. Let's wait for his thoughts!
I want to say - I did not regret seconds for getting it!
If I had a few thousand dollars - I would give them to the Jeff for the idea!
One of the best magician in the world - shares his professional routine - but instead magicians criticize?
We need to thank!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jeff Hobson - Thimple Thumb Tie (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL