The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Charming chinese challenge updated (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ljBandit
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ljBandit
Always loved this effect but never learnt it, looking at getting it finally but nlt sure if to just get the old DVD or spend double and getting. new updated version that comes with coins, if it wasn't for the coins bumping shipping up itd be an easier choice. Any reviews of the new version and or the coins themseleves?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I didn't know it had been update and what exactly is there to update ?
ljBandit
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ljBandit
Aparently new routines and handlings, as well as the new version is a package deal that comes with "specially made coins and ribbon" as far as I have had response from the shops, is that they are perfectly designed for the effect and the routines are just updated (modernised) handlings and routines
ljBandit
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ljBandit
They call them gimmicks tho which concerned me that they werent just standard coins as previously
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst I doubt very much that I would trade the original for a gimmicked version have you got a link to the add for the updated version ?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
What to update? The handling of the final coin has always left much to be desired. Apparently many performers just end with the third phase.
I developed a much better handling for the final coin - a no nonsense link in a spectator's hand.
They don't have it to include, but may have come up with something similar.

Always some alternative possibilities for most effects. However, such enhancements would not require a repackaged set.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I have a different finish also Smile
ljBandit
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ljBandit
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S24251

Could post the whole ad sorry

Ive inquired and the "gimmick" are simply the ijclud coins and ribbon
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Sad that a magic store allows the use of the word "gimmick"for objects that are not. (Troy too)

It does seem he is still using the same ending, that for me dilutes the impact of the "penetrations" by making it a vanish or transportation.
Does an average spectator care??? Probably not.

So, what is new is nicer coins and a higher price Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ljBandit
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ljBandit
Yep pretty much, for me its Nice because being in Australia makes it hard or expensive to get a nice set of coins, the set I was going to get with the old dvd was $60 and then shippong so its kind of nice and partially cheaper for me this way.
ljBandit
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ljBandit
Its $10 more for the set of coins that work aparently "perfectly" with this effect.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for the link.

Basically there is no difference from the older version apart from using nicer coins, interestingly Troy chooses to end with a weaker finish than the original so with that in mind I would be interested to know if the newer coins are thicker than those that were recommended in the original routine ?

Overall it's a brilliant routine however as I already own the original and have what I consider to be a better ending I don't think I'll be updating as there doesn't appear to be anything new.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Can this effect be done convincingly with objects that are more 3-dimensional? Like, could you use large hexagonal brass nuts instead og the coins and a cord or heavy shoelace in place of the ribbon?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
In a word no it works best with Chinese coins although I suppose washers could be used as an alternative.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I have the old DVD and I bought the new set as well; no dvd, just a link to a website with a password. The coins with the new set are nice, but dollar sized and I prefer 1/2 dollar size.
Trentonmatthew
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Trentonmatthew
How does this compare to recharmed I’m sure?
Trentonmatthew
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Trentonmatthew
Does anyone utilize Chinese coins as their main set of coins with a ] so that they can preform CCCC as well as things like coins across with the same set?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On May 4, 2018, Trentonmatthew wrote:
Does anyone utilize Chinese coins as their main set of coins with a ] so that they can preform CCCC as well as things like coins across with the same set?

As your one ahead you don't need a ] to perform coins across your already good to go.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Charming chinese challenge updated (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL