The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Playing card reading system? (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I rarely pop down here, so forgive my ignorance, but I'm curious about whether or not there's an established reading system for ordinary playing cards like there is for tarot cards?
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2029 Posts

Profile of ddyment
As with tarot cards, there are many different reading systems: there is no "standard" system for either.

In my experience, two excellent books for learning the meanings of playing cards are Nerys Dee's Fortune-Telling by Playing Cards and Richard Webster's Playing Card Divination For Beginners.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Cheers Doug! Smile
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1405 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
My personal suggestions are as follows:

The free Richard Webster article on Deceptionary. This is brief enough to initially feel disappointing. But after a while it becomes so great because you see that it really has everything that you need.

Julian Moore’s book on Cartomancy. His suggestions with the practice deck are very good and all his examples of how much you can get from 3 cards are fantastic.

Neris Dee, as Doug suggests.

Paul Draper ‘s talk on Anthropological Cold Reading at Jeff McBride’s site. I don’t know if this is still easy to find. Seeing his example reading and simple explanation gave me what I needed to start reading cards.

James Ricklief (sp?) Tarot Tells the Tale is about Tarot, but has value for any sort of reader. Again, examples.

But you won’t go wrong following Doug’s guidance on readings. If it ever comes down to it, I would defer to his experience on such things.

Patrick
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
140 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Here’s another one which might be helpful
https://trickshop.com/card-readings.html
Dandin
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Dandin
Max Maven's Book Of Fortunetelling that was published in 1992 has a great chapter on giving readings using playing cards.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
706 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
I love Tarot Tells the Tale by James Ricklef.

There's also The Vascal System by Gene Nielsen http://www.mevproshop.com/cool-vascal-emr.html
Check out his Cool Reading too, great stuff.

Woodfield
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
140 Posts

Profile of Davdo
I second the short Webster article as being worth a read. On top of that, Scott Creasey has a nice read called "Cartomancy for Magicians" that I like. Paul Voodini's "Chimney Sweep's Victorian Oracle" is a good piece too.

Good luck!

Dave
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Wow - that's a lot of info Smile. Where to start ... Lol! Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3859 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
And you can never go wrong with a classic set of Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2141 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned our own Iain Dunford's excellent book - Meta-Ph-Oracle. It's simple to understand but still contains plenty of depth. I am not sure if it's still on Lulu, but it might be worth contacting him directly to see if it's available as an ebook.
LL=MM
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Cheers for the input folks.

Based on the posts here I've read Richard Webster's free essay on deceptionary, watched some youtubes and read some wiki pages online, and just started reading Webster's Playing Card Diviniation for Beginners. I feel like I already know some interesting things about playing cards which I didn't before, which as a hobbyist magician rather than a mentalist is a great start Smile. No doubt I'll pursue some of the other recommends here as I go over time. Thanks Smile
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Elite user
481 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
And you can never go wrong with a classic set of Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards.

I second the recommendation. Nothing to remember. Everything in front of you and your participant. They know your not making it up as you go along.
To hate those who hate is righteous.
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
108 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Quite an interesting subject
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1405 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
The best trick I have figured out for learning to deliver a reading is to practice out loud to real questions. How? Dear Abby. Open the paper, read one question out loud, but don’t look at her answer. Do your spread, talking out loud as you would to a client. At the end, read her answer and compare/contrast with yours. After you feel like you are getting good, start recording your readings. Listen to your recordings and see how you can make them better. This does not always mean smoother. Sometimes a pause to allow time for something to soak in can add a lot.

And as soon as you don’t need to look up meanings, give readings to real people. That’s the most valuable practice.

Patrick
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
16698 Posts

Profile of IAIN
To tie in with Mr. Woolery's suggestion, to make it more fun, pick a handful of celebrities that are in the news, do a reading for them and keep a note of them...see how close you get...I used to pick people on the bus or train I'd be on, give them a name, imagine three cards (or whatever system I was practicing) and create the reading...

also think about the structure, whats your beginning middle and end...

and obviously, get in front of people as soon as possible, just tell them you're starting to learn about cartomancy and would they like a free reading...
NEW BOOKTEST - DREAM PSYCHOLOGY | BRUTISHLY STARLIT - READINGS COMPENDIUM
www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Cool idea, Iain. Celebs Smile
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1405 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
That is a good idea, Iain. For a more general life trajectory sort of reading, it would be especially fun to do for celebrities you want to follow. In fact, I think I'm going to start doing this today.

My approach was meant more for answering questions, as opposed to life picture readings. The hard part for me, early on, was relating the rather basic keyword meanings to an answer to a life question. Dear Abby is full of real questions, asked by real people, for real problems. And you don't have the pressure of trying to answer without influencing folks unfairly, since you are just talking to a newspaper.

But I am totally serious, do practice out loud. It helps a lot.

-Patrick
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Yes, another good idea MrWoolery.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
16698 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I used to heavily script things til I got my vocabulary sorted...but that's all dependent on what you do in your version of a reading, and the rules you use for the oracle in hand...

"when I look at you I feel *insert meaning and rule of the first card and what it represents to you*"
"THEN I see that from that initial stance, that you *insert second*"
"AND FINALLY it seems as though *insert third*"

then depending on the techniques you employ, add them at the appropriate points - and (in my opinion) finish with a summary/synopsis of the entire reading...

and again, just a personal thing - ASK for feedback, how accurate, what felt right, what felt wrong, too vague? as brutal as that can be, in my opinion its a very open and healthy way to learn...you will learn far more from that kind of feedback than a "well done"..

Also, get out there - be useful and friendly to the barstaff, and especially ask the manager/owner if its ok to practice in their place...make it known you don't ask for money and so on...and especially respect their reply. You're using their clientele, their space, and you might draw a group of people interested and bar staff, security and so on will notice and ask questions sooner than later...

treat a no with a thanks for your time and a smile for sure...

when I was learning it all, I had three bars/pubs that I had at my disposal, very grateful for that...three hours a night with a very wide range of people, languages, beliefs and so on, you'll learn a lot very quickly...so keep notepads to hand too... three hours a night, three or four nights a week...you'll refine things quicker than you think
NEW BOOKTEST - DREAM PSYCHOLOGY | BRUTISHLY STARLIT - READINGS COMPENDIUM
www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Playing card reading system? (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL