The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Money lines (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
102 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
So my buddy and I have been working the same crowds.
He has not been happy with his hats.
It’s a great show with big crowds but the hats are smaller than they should be.
So we’re thinking it could be his money lines.
I know this is a sensitive subject being that most have there special ways of getting people to put money in the hat.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Nickoli
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
First explain how your friend does the money lines.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
This is just my opinion, after busking some 18 years...

If the audience does not like you, your hat lines do not matter.

Now, when I say "if the audience does not like you, your hat lines do not matter" this is what I mean:

1. If you don't seem authentic
2. If they don't think you're worth it
3. If you unknowingly offended people
4. etc....

This list can go on and on. Here's the thing, even if you only do one thing wrong and everything else right, that's enough to ruin the whole set. I hope this makes sense.

Also, I feel the most important thing is to connect with the audience because if you do that your hats will be big even if your hat lines fail.

Finally, on the street, my finale is not a trick at all, but rather my way of letting the audience know I care about them, sincerely. This takes a few minutes and has zero tricks but it's complete magic.

Of course, people also may not have cash on them. Without actually being there, there is no way to know for sure.
imgic
View Profile
Special user
Moved to Seattle to see
863 Posts

Profile of imgic
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1275 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
The original post says "So my buddy and I have been working the same crowds. He has not been happy with his hats"

This suggest to me that Nickoli your hats are OK. So it might be a cases of you both watching each other shows and seeing what you do different.

Things I would suggest for your friend is,
- Look at show is there any point your transitions give people the opportunity to leave?
- Do people leave before the end of the final trick?
- Is the audience aware of there part in a street show?
- Are the Hat line woven into the show, and not a big surprise at the end?
- Are the Hat lines subtitle for the place your busking?

Im not a pro busker but this is what I have asked myself many times as I try to work out the streets. The answer are a little non descriptive give more info on what type of show and location as well as pacific points and I migth be able to give a bit more information.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
102 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
So I have only worked with this friend a few times.
Not sure of his exact words.
The one thing I did notice is that money is only mentioned at the end.
His show is silent up until the money lines.
He gets big crowds it’s an escape act but a ton of walk off.
Plan to pass this feed back on to him.
Thank you all
Zauberman
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2018, Nickoli Sharpe wrote:

Perhaps, the audience doesn't appreciate his skills and performance??????
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1736 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2018, Nickoli Sharpe wrote:
So I have only worked with this friend a few times.
Not sure of his exact words.
The one thing I did notice is that money is only mentioned at the end.
His show is silent up until the money lines.

Perhaps your friend should reconsider his show.

Many street performers I have seen mention money throughout their performances so that the appeal for money does not come as a surprise to the gathered crowd at the end. Your friend doesn't do that; maybe he should.

I am also wondering about the effectiveness of a silent escape act on the street. The fact that there is a "ton" of "walk offs" seems to indicate to me that your friend may lose the crowd's interest during the escape process. Perhaps he needs additional "business." He could engage the crowd in witty repartee, or solicit help from a member of the crowd (who may become hopelessly entangled in whatever restraints your friend is trying to escape from). During the course of this, money may be worked into the talk.

Or, if your friend is committed to a silent escape, he should explain that it takes a great deal of concentration and he needs silence (his own, not the crowd's) to work. If he uses a straitjacket, most of the business can be engaged in while he is being restrained. He can introduce a variety of histrionics while attempting his escape (Simon Lovell used to do a straitjacket escape where Sooty - a beloved British hand puppet - appears from within the jacket). He could also introduce an element of time pressure - if he doesn't escape within a certain period, several chosen spectators will be permitted to pelt him with water balloons.

Just a few thoughts.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1628 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
As mentioned in many of the good threads above, use your hat lines in comical ways throughout your show and as mentioned at the end, I used to use a child for an effect & pay him $5, I mentioned he did a great job and as you all applauded I gave him money etc etc..lets the audience know that its ok to pay for something you enjoyed..always worked and always got the hat line going for payment at the end..
whocares
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of whocares
I begin with establishing a contract with my audience. All Smiles and in fun.

My job is to make you laugh, to Amaze a nd to astound you. If I do my job, then your job is simple.
All you need to do to do is put bread on my table, by applauding with your wallets.

This way, they know from the start, that that if they enjoy it, they should show appreciation by putting money in my hat.

Then during the act, I will throw out other lines, like: Some people pay hundreds to see magic like this. But don't worry 5s and 10 are fine with me.

I have number lines like that which may come out based on the crowd, and my mood at the moment.

David
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1901 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I don't use money lines anymore, I act like I don't even notice they put money in the jar.

Instead of focusing on money lines, fix your magic. That is the problem. Smile

From my Crowd Goes Wild lecture:

"I don't make money, I make magic - if I make good magic, I'll make good money"

The page is titled "promo", but the videos are complete - Open Source with my "pass the hat licence" so go ahead watch it for free and if you benefit from it you can buy me a cup of coffee. Smile

http://magicjoint.com/pages/magic-shop/t......d-promo/

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Money lines (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL