The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Loporcaro Handcuffs by Amazo Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Look good - is this a new design? Or did these handcuffs exist before? Can someone give an overview? Thank you, guys! Happy New Year!
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S24032
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
They look like the type of "handcuffs", that "Mr. Escape" would have liked and used.

For $100, they better do something more than to simply allow my hands to slip out.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2018, Moxahalla wrote:
They look like the type of "handcuffs", that "Mr. Escape" would have liked and used.

For $100, they better do something more than to simply allow my hands to slip out.

I was thinking something quite similar. My problem with "fixed size" escapes such as this is that I have fairly slender wrists and, try as I might to hide the fact and turn it to my advantage, it often still looks like I can slip out of most things sized for average people.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Yes you are right - visually they seem to big. Handcuffs - you need to production individually - your hands.
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
I bought these and they are a piece of crap. I could not believe I paid $100 for them.Worth only a few dollars in material. The welding is awful,hole for lock is off center ,grinding marks visible through cheap plating ,non examinable and a certain piece will fall out if handled wrong. SAVE YOU MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Thank you! Can you make a couple of photos? Too bad it's not a very good stuff. How do you like the principle of slip? Smile
If I understand the trick is in the metal hinge. I was dealing with something similar.
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2018, Eugene Chekhov wrote:
Thank you! Can you make a couple of photos? Too bad it's not a very good stuff. How do you like the principle of slip?...

I love it. I can s**p my Hamburg 8s (it takes flipping ages and hurts like hell. My wrists are bruised for a week or so after and I can only do it once every few weeks. BUT I then go on to escape them using the *u* A*a* gimmick (fitted to my wrists and VERY close to breaking my wrists. I do the second with the cover of turning around or a brief cover from a jacket or coat etc. It's a nice little "set" when combining the two. Of course, sometimes I feel like I need to s****h cuffs out depending on the audience at the end but I've normally had someone in them to start with so I only do the S********* for magicians (who are nosey buggers by nature).
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Thank you! Great thoughts Richard and David! Smile Smile
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Sandro Loporcaro (Amazo)
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Sandro Loporcaro (Amazo)
Dear mr Richard Sherry
you probably do not know what means to invent and build a tool. This is a tool widely used by many magicians who do escapology. In fact, it went sold out several times. There is no plating as it is pure stainless steel! And it is not cheap to produce them.
Calling them **** is an offense as well as a lack of respect. If not satisfied, you can send them back to the retailer and ask a refund. Now I'm curious to buy one of your tools and make an evaluation!
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Good afternoon Amozo.
You must support your products. Even now, you do not give any information - what kind of material is it, the real size of the grip of the wrists, whether you credit someone or this is your invention.

Smile

There is always very little information - the more information from the seller, the less complaints from clients.
How to contact you - you do not have a website? Smile

Richard is a master in his field (escape) - therefore - his opinion is very authoritative for me and others.

Smile
I know many of the inventors - you are always right to invent always difficult!
But if you came to a Café - why do not you ask for advice?
This is the best place - shares magic if you love it and want to do better.
I already told you - that we could help you improve your products and their quality.

If this is an excellent product and it is sold out - then soon - we will hear the words of approval. Be patient.

Thank you!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2018, Sandro Loporcaro (Amazo) wrote:
Dear mr Richard Sherry
you probably do not know what means to invent and build a tool.!

Yeah Mr Richard Sherry you probably never invented and build a tool......I assume he means a prop for escapology...... Oh wait ....you have a website FULL of awesome high quality and original escape items! I guess someone should have researched you standing in the escape community before making rediculous clains! Ha! (I feel like Ken Dean!)

quote]On Feb 9, 2018, Sandro Loporcaro (Amazo) wrote:
Dear mr Richard Sherry
. This is a tool widely used by many magicians who do escapology. In fact, it went sold out several times. There is no plating as it is pure stainless steel! And it is not cheap to produce them.! [/quote]

Selling out doesn't mean they are a high quality item or an effective tool for escapes. It just means that magicians not knowing more about escapes see these as an option rather than high quality more expensive kit from the likes of Ian McColl or Richard Sherry or even David Deval or Mick Hanzlick (the latter three mentioned no longer making for various reasons).

quote]On Feb 9, 2018, Sandro Loporcaro (Amazo) wrote:.
Calling them **** is an offense as well as a lack of respect. [/quote]
Or an honest review of a product?!? I trust and believe Mr Sherry is more than qualified to offer his opinion on an item offered for sale in this field. Regarding lack of respect.... What entitles you to demand respect from Richard after he has reviewed your item unfavourably? Especially after your response is to claim he doe t know what it's like to invent and build a tool? Clearly you don't think he deserves respect so why do you?

quote]On Feb 9, 2018, Sandro Loporcaro (Amazo) wrote:
Dear mr Richard Sherry
If not satisfied, you can send them back to the retailer and ask a refund. Now I'm curious to buy one of your tools and make an evaluation! [/quote]

If they are heavy is it worth paying the shipping to send them back?

So I lookfrorward to your HONEST review of one of Richards 'tools'. Of course if you slate any of them how will we know it's your honest review as an experienced escape artist and not just a negative review as you didn't like Richards review of your less than favourable item?

I just looked on Penguin and some other online magic shops and I agree the are out of stock..... Yet not a single review saying if they are any good? So surely if they were any good there woukd be some positive responses?
Sandro Loporcaro (Amazo)
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Sandro Loporcaro (Amazo)
For Eugene Chekhov I'm Amazo not Amozo.
Do not care to discuss anything. If the product is out of stock it means that the magicians appreciate it. It is not an article for children. No, they are not so heavy as to give up shipping. I believe we should always have respect for those who invent, and understand the motivations. Out of malice I could find a flaw even in perfect magic article.
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

I apologize for the mistake in writing your name.
David - you gave a great opinion. I just have nothing to add.
Maybe someone else owns these handcuffs - but not at the Café - please contact me.
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com

To all the owners - who will write to me - I promise a small gift. Smile Smile
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2018, Sandro Loporcaro (Amazo) wrote:
For Eugene Chekhov I'm Amazo not Amozo.
Do not care to discuss anything. If the product is out of stock it means that the magicians appreciate it.

I beg to differ. If it's out of stock it simply means that the number of items that were in stock has been sold. It could be as few as 1 item - or as many as thousands. Often stuff was out of stock on the Cannons web site. They made one or two a month at the most.

Someone could have 5 items in stock they are bought, are crap and no one can be bothered to post a review. Or as is often the case in magic - large numbers of items can be sold relatively quickly and they end up in the bottom drawer of hundreds of magicians not being used. The item can be sold out and still not used.

I agree if you look hard enough you can find fault with most things ... But I tell you now that the work I have seen of others in the escape business Ian McColl, Richard Sherry, Mr Escape (Steve Baker), Jay Leslie is of the highest quality and they are truly respected in the escape community. If you find fault with these you are trying really hard to find fault after a poor review - now that indeed would be childish.

David
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I almost posted early in this debate, and now I am glad I did not.

I find the whole debate rather silly. Every Escapologist knows that the equipment you use only tells part of the story. It is your showmanship that will carry the day or drop the ball. I don't want to comment on these cuffs as I have not seen them live or in video in use. Maybe they work great, and maybe not. Remember a hammer is a great tool, but in the hands of an untrained user, it does little more than make holes in a wall around a nail. On the other hand, a skilled carpenter can knock in a ten penny nail into solid wood with one blow.

So, an offer to Mr. (Amazo) Loporcaro... As you may or may not know, I edit a month newsletter for escapologists. Send me a link to a video of you, or someone else doing the escape from your cuffs. If I think it is great, or even good, I will write a positive review in The Chainletter. If I think it is not good, (and I mean the cuffs, not your performance) I will follow my usual rule for the newsletter and keep my mouth shut. I do not publish inflammatory material. Note: if I like what I see, I might even buy one myself, on top of writing the review.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
If I think it is not good, (and I mean the cuffs, not your performance) I will follow my usual rule for the newsletter and keep my mouth shut. I do not publish inflammatory material.

So does that mean we are safe to think that anything not reviewed in the newsletter is rubbish?

Interesting way to work - some might say that this is letting the readers down by not telling them the truth as you see it. By some, I mean at least me.

Have a good day.

I'm off to sell some stuff and get ready for Blackpool Magic Convention.

David
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=651710
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22181
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S24368 - This trick was invented by Aldo Colombini.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22428
Amazo - do you give credit in your teachings to the inventors?

I am always firmly convinced that real inventors should be mentioned.
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2018, dave_matkin wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
If I think it is not good, (and I mean the cuffs, not your performance) I will follow my usual rule for the newsletter and keep my mouth shut. I do not publish inflammatory material.

So does that mean we are safe to think that anything not reviewed in the newsletter is rubbish?

David

It is a fair question Dave. No, please do not assume that. Firstly I am not so arrogant as to believe I have encountered every piece of equipment out there. This is one of the reasons I am always asking for contributions. You have almost certainly seen some things that I have not and vice-versa.

Secondly, there are valid uses for equipment that many people do not care for. I have seen many people look down on te big loop cuffs that many young EA's use. But I had not problem speaking highly of them when used in the suit jacket escape. Here the focus is not on the cuffs, and as such, they work great. I was happy to write the up for that use.

The other thing that I keep reminding myself of is that I may not like a prop, I may not be able to see myself using it, but that does not mean that it wouldn't give a great performance in the right hands.
Who better to show what a prop can do than the designer?

What I meant was that I do not publish material that is written solely for the purpose of...
- Venting your anger at someone.
- Blaming someone for what went wrong.
- Accusing people of steeling. (Though we all know it happens)
- Alternative uses of our equipment (not for escapes, this includes law enforcement and sexual uses) Note: I violated my own policy on that one when Normaqn Bigelow brought to my attention a pair of handcuffs capable of delivering a stun-shock to the detainee.
- and general bad mouthing.

Remember the main purpose that I started T.I.E.S and The Chainletter in the first place was to create a place where information and ideas and news could be exchanged in a less limited format than a forum such as this. Also a way to preserve the good things and good ideas going on in our world. (To this end, the Library at the Magic Castle in Hollywood has a complete printed hard copy set of all the newsletters.

Break a chain
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sandro, with all due respect, before you comment on a persons knowledge or make an assumption they won’t invent or build anything, it would be wise to research their background.

Many people here post anon but the professionals (for the most part) list their names m, with pride, because of their accomplishments and knowledge.
It Richards voices an opinion that a product or device is inferior or exceptionaly good, it will carry a lot of weight with other professionals. Take the time to look at his profile, he’s made more escape props then you’ll probably make in your entire life.

Im actually suprised that he did make a disparaging remark as it’s unlike him. So for him to alert others about something he finds underwhelming is noteworthy ... Even If You Have Sold Hundreds or thousands Of That Item.

Maybe you could use this experisnce to better your product. You should consider purchasing a few books and research better products. Imagine how many more you would sell by getting respectable builders to write how much they like it.
Good luck in your future endeavors.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Have now had the chance to handle these cuffs, while in the USA as unable to trace any here in the UK hence late comment here.
From a performers view I agree with Richard as these cuffs have nothing extra about them and seem rather expensive compared to others. I applaud anyone who invents,designs,makes and invests their own cash to back up their own ideas but in this case I feel the effort put in was wasted as was the cash used.

I do not know of Amazo as an escapologist or anyone in this biz known by me who knows of Amazo as an escape artist. This of course didn't meen he isn't one, it just meens he's not known as such. However either way he would not be the first or last to produce escape gear for escapologists for gain. We have a couple here in the UK selling gear who have never done a public escape or pro show in their lives but still coin it in on the backs of those who have.

Instead of castigation I think advice would be a better way to go. Many good suggestion's have been made above and should be taken on board by Amazo also if he does his own research into this biz and gets the confidence and advice from an escapologist who knows and has been proven in the biz, he will avoid threads like these and could offer quality to our fraternity.

My appraisal is not a well finished cuff with minimal useage for performance which has been very over priced.

Better luck in the future Amazo.

Ken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Loporcaro Handcuffs by Amazo Magic (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL