The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Tap Transpo by Smagic Productions (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
There are two tricks recently that achieve more or less this result.

1. The one done by Dynamo on the Lorraine show here n the UK (name, anyone?)
2. Dave Williamson's T&R Transpo

The effect is: you have card A, I have card B, and by magic they swap. Great effect, but - however nice it looks - I'm not sure what the addition of peculiar-looking envelopes brings to the effect in the mind of the spectator.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
If it was a card transpo trick performed by Dynamo as a TV guest then odds on it'll be French Kiss.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I think I appreciate the gimmick, as I'm convinced it's exactly the same kind of gimmick as a trick that has been released by N2G and uses envelopes as a way to execute card to impossible location or card transposition (you'll probably find the name of the effect with a little search - N2G has just a few releases, so it won't be hard). However, the effet here isn't really magical, in my opinion. The cards change place after you hit his envelope with yours. Immediately, the attention is drawn toward your action of "hitting" the envelope. If I really wished that the envelopes won't be the focus of attention, I wouldn't do as they show in the video.
PaulW
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of PaulW
This looks amazing, ordered and will post review.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
There is an edit in the video at 1.02 for some inexplicable reason?
I'll wait for the reviews on this one and check it out at Blackpool.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2018, Ross W wrote:

The effect is: you have card A, I have card B, and by magic they swap. Great effect, but - however nice it looks - I'm not sure what the addition of peculiar-looking envelopes brings to the effect in the mind of the spectator.

I would think that the use of the envelopes is to "isolate" the card to make the transpo seem more impossible in the specs eyes? Just my thought....
Check out Bafflingbob.com
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2018, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2018, Ross W wrote:

I would think that the use of the envelopes is to "isolate" the card to make the transpo seem more impossible in the specs eyes? Just my thought....

I agree. I would do a standard two card transpo as a first phase that leads into this. Presentation would be that maybe the spec thinks I used sleight of hand in phase 1, so to eliminate that notion, we’ll place each card in an envelope with a window so it’s isolated and face up.... seems like a logical progression and helps justify the props.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
PaulW
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of PaulW
I have just received the effect and although I have yet to perform it there are a few things you need to know before purchasing it.

1. There is no DVD only a 56 minute download.
2. The first 26 minutes of the download are redundant because they deal with the construction of the envelopes which now come fully constructed which is just as well as it is often difficult to understand the demonstrator.
3. I have issues with the envelopes which arrived slightly curled and may benefit from pressing between heavy books so they lay uniformly flat.
4. The next 20 minutes of the download deals with further required construction which is fiddly and will take some time to get right, you will need a 2 inch wide roll of clear tape along with the usual arts and craft paraphernalia
5. Although the trailer shows a couple of numbered cards you are recommended to use court cards for both the spectator and your own so called favourite card.
6. Once constructed you will have to force the same card every time you do the effect which may be inhibiting for table hoppers and as the card is signed and cannot be used again you will probably need to purchase a one way forcing deck to provide you with stock of the same card.
7. There are no live performances and the demonstration of the effect is poor.

I expect when fully constructed the effect will work but I have a draw full of unconstructed effects and I fear this may well join them.
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
163 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
Thanks for the heads-up, PaulW.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Classic junk drawer tat.
Andrew J. K.
View Profile
Loyal user
GREECE
263 Posts

Profile of Andrew J. K.
[quote]On Jan 10, 2018, PaulW wrote:

(...)
2. The first 26 minutes of the download are redundant because they deal with the construction of the envelopes which now come fully constructed which is just as well as it is often difficult to understand the demonstrator.
3. I have issues with the envelopes which arrived slightly curled and may benefit from pressing between heavy books so they lay uniformly flat.
(...)

Mine also came with the three envelopes already constructed which, like yours, PaulW, arrived more than slightly curled.
Hopefully this can be fixed by pressing them between books as you suggest in your post.

By the way, I would like to ask any of you who own already the effect, to inform me if they received (I do) one spare
m****t and a small rectangular piece of s**m among the three black constructed envelopes.

Finally, did the DVD come sealed (as it happens usual with most of the magic DVD's) with the well known transparent celluloid,
since mine was not sealed with anything.

Any reply at the earliest opportunity would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Andrew
"Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life". BERTOLT BRECHT
PaulW
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of PaulW
Mine came with the spare m****t and s**M you mentioned both of which are required when constructing the gimmick.

No DVD just a download but if your referring to the DVD case in which the effect is delivered it was not wrapped.

I have now made up the gimmick and I am having real difficulty getting it to work.

In my opinion this is a very poor item only useful for a video shoot as it does not show well in the real world.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote]On Jan 2, 2018, Titanas wrote:
Hey guys,
Smagic comes back with a very visual 2 card transposition.
This looks very easy to do and it really looks great.
Have a look for yourself and tell me what you think about it.

Best regards,
Titanas [/quote]

Once again Titanas pitches another bottom draw junk

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2018, PaulW wrote:
I have just received the effect and although I have yet to perform it there are a few things you need to know before purchasing it.

1. There is no DVD only a 56 minute download.
4. The next 20 minutes of the download deals with further required construction which is fiddly and will take some time to get right, you will need a 2 inch wide roll of clear tape along with the usual arts and craft paraphernalia
5. Although the trailer shows a couple of numbered cards you are recommended to use court cards for both the spectator and your own so called favourite card.
6. Once constructed you will have to force the same card every time you do the effect which may be inhibiting for table hoppers and as the card is signed and cannot be used again you will probably need to purchase a one way forcing deck to provide you with stock of the same card.
7. There are no live performances and the demonstration of the effect is poor.

I expect when fully constructed the effect will work but I have a draw full of unconstructed effects and I fear this may well join them.

Maybe Titanas should actually open the package his is pitching before saying "This looks very easy to do and it really looks great."

Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, PaulW wrote:

I have now made up the gimmick and I am having real difficulty getting it to work.

In my opinion this is a very poor item only useful for a video shoot as it does not show well in the real world.

Happy New Year thanks for your first 2018 pitch
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
299 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
Just watched the demo... looked impressive, but Im guessing the envelopes have a form of M....t involved. As a clue, sticks to bottom! And I bet you don't see performer load his card in his envelope during performance. I love the way promo videos are like expensive Hollywood productions with great cuts and music, they really know how to sell the magic. lol.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I just received this and... its going right back. I like a lot of S Magic's releases... but this one has a lot of issues.

First the ad copy's claim that the gimmick is fully assembled is a flat out lie. The envelopes are assembled, but that is only part of the gimmick. There is a pretty good amount of DIY to do here. I make gimmicks all the time, so its nothing that was too complicated for me, but it will still take you 20-30 minutes and its absurd that they would make that claim in the ad copy.

As others have said, the envelopes arrive with a bend or curve in them. I think since they are custom made for this effect, the way the glue dries with the plastic see through window causes the ends to bend in. This does not help in selling some key parts of the illusion.

The biggest issue for me though was that it simply does not work reliably. Its possible I got one that was poorly assembled, but I'm confident the DIY I did was not the issue. The idea is clever, but a clever idea needs to be tested repeatedly until its reliable and ready to bring to the market. I gave it many attempts and the success rate was bad enough for me to not have faith in attempting to perform this.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
PaulW
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of PaulW
"I just received this and... its going right back. I like a lot of S Magic's releases..."

What magic supplier will allow you to return an effect that you have constructed?..........I will happily switch my purchasing to them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Tap Transpo by Smagic Productions (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL