The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mesh bag Produce (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Happy new year friends. Does anyone know the history - this classic trick?? Who is the inventor? Any thoughts.
Does someone have this version as in the video?
Thank you friends! I appreciate your information!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhGTY1U5pp0 Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This a very poor copy of the old Mesh Egg Bag that was made and sold by U.F. Grant way back in 1950's. The spin off company Mak Magic do not make it any longer.

Here is a better made one, even better then the original, with heavier mesh material and a little larger then the original. This is a Daytona Magic product.

https://daytonamagic.com/?s=mesh+egg+bag......&ixwps=1
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
A variation of the egg bag that had one small bottom corner made of "net work" was being marketed by Hiam in London, UK in 1900, and it was attributed to D'Alvini (who died in 1891, so that pushes back the year of its creation). By 1924, Heaney's catalog #25 was marketing a transparent egg bag with a larger mesh front. Fred Culpitt, (1877-1944) invented the "Transparent Egg Bag" in 1950 with the entire front made of see-through mesh. In 1953, Jack Chanin (1907-1997) popularized it under the name "Mesh Egg Bag." That's when Grant got into the business of marketing them.

"Qua-Fiki's Mesh ID Bag" from The Wizards' Journal #23, shows how to make a bag with mesh on both sides so you can see right through it and still make it do all the usual tricks. In the earlier Wizards' Journal #22, Qua-Fiki showed how to make a combination tear-apart and mesh-on-both-sides bag that could be used to perform a Mis-Made Flag effect, called the "See-Thru Change Bag." It's interesting to watch him stuff in the red silk and white silk and see it VISIBLY transform into the red and white mis-made flag through the mesh. At the end the bag is torn apart to reveal the final correctly made flag.
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Thank you for the exact dates and names! I want to make my own from an expensive and beautiful fabric with a valve for unloading. Smile Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2018, Eugene Chekhov wrote:
Thank you for the exact dates and names! I want to make my own from an expensive and beautiful fabric with a valve for unloading. Smile Smile

Just saw this. Did you ever figure it out.
Plus; The link for the Daytona Mesh Bag is gone. Anyone know where to find one?
As Always,
THANK YOU!
Ed
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I owned a mesh egg bag made by Klamm Magic. So that's another company that made them. They are no longer in business.

(For 2021) Tommy James is currently making a "Lightning Fast Production Bag", which is essentially the same thing.

- Donald

P.S. Even though Bill's link (3 years old) to the Mesh Egg Bag on the Daytona Magic site is no longer active, they still sell the prop. I've put the current link in the previous sentence.

All you have to do is use the search function built into that website, to find the current link. (Some people forget about trying this, when a link seems dead.)
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Much appreciated, Donald,
Ed
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jus for what it's worth, there's nothing wrong with Bill's link above. It goes to the Daytona site for the mesh egg bag.
Where the magic begins
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Ah, you're right Dave. I didn't scroll down past the fold. Maybe that's what happened to edshern, too.

But at least I was able to give an additional source (Tommy James).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Hi Eugene,
Jack Chanin also marketed a version of the mesh eggbag. David Haversat wrote a biography of Jack titled: Chanin the Man with the Magic Hands. This book gives Jack's routine with the bag. Jack also had his routine published in an old MUM magazine.
Regards,
Barry Moran
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mesh bag Produce (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL