The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Does signing the card really add to the effect ? (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
heavyspirit
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of heavyspirit
Well, this is the card section so it would appear that it is perfectly appropriate to post about card tricks here. My skills or lack thereof in other branches of magic are therefore not relevant. A bit like you come to think of it. Not relevant.

It appears that you have not yet partaken of your peppermint tea. Perhaps it is hard to find in the wilds of the West Midlands. Until you do I would heartily recommend you follow this procedure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vm51sR4tRY
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2535 Posts

Profile of warren
Yawn.... did I mention that your boring me.
heavyspirit
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of heavyspirit
You did. In that case may I tactfully suggest that your presence would be greatly enhanced by your absence. I will attempt to assist you by no longer responding to you. Unless I do of course.

I rather think we all wish to return to the weighty matter of whether to sign cards or not. It is a matter of earth shattering significance to the world of magic at large you know. Unlike yourself of course.

Now do stop chattering, my boy. Enough is enough.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2535 Posts

Profile of warren
Perhaps you can crawl back under the squalid rock you came from.

The only magician I know who thinks so highly of himself whilst being rude and arrogant is Paul Gordon ha ha
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2675 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Would you two take your childish banter to Private Messaging. We really don't care. Leave the posting to what is relevant.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2535 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2018, davidpaul$ wrote:
Would you two take your childish banter to Private Messaging. We really don't care. Leave the posting to what is relevant.

I did indeed try that but unfortunately it fell on deaf ears.
heavyspirit
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of heavyspirit
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2018, davidpaul$ wrote:

Agreed
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2585 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Does signing a card really detract the effect or make it less powerful? thoughts?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1924 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Lunatik:
Maybe. It leads to only one possible solution, I think, for CTW effects.
heavyspirit
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of heavyspirit
I think it depends on the trick, the circumstances and the performing environment. On balance, however I think it is probably a good idea. If you don't want to ruin the card then use a gummed removable label stuck to the card which they sign.

For close up impromptu work I probably wouldn't bother with the signing for the card in wallet.
Churken2
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Churken2
There are very few card effects that require a signature. Most would work fine without the signature.

That being said, having a card signed rarely detracts from an effect. In addition, having a card signed can often add to an effect in terms of presentation, by play or leading the spectator down the garden path. In this way, maybe it is good to have cards signed in order to get more out of the effect from a presentation standpoint.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2535 Posts

Profile of warren
I think you can get some fun out of having the card marked in some way which obviously adds to the entertainment point of view especially if you get the spectator to draw something on the card rather than just sign it.

Another interesting point that I heard during a lecture not so long ago was when this particular magician was leaving the venue most of the signed cards that he gave away as a souvenir were just left behind on the tables rather than being kept, I think this may possibly be down to the routine rather than the magician as I can remember bumping into someone I had performed for at TGI Fridays a few months earlier and they pulled out a card I had given them which I had drawn a stick man on to and they had added magic wand to the picture...obviously the card was also signed for the routine hence me mentioning it but the focus was on the stick man landing on their card rather than the signature.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Does signing the card really add to the effect ? (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL