The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Getting Started (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rssudo
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Rssudo
So I've been doing magic for quite some time, and am looking to make the jump to hypnosis. I've read quite a few books on hypnosis, however haven't been able to get off the floor and successfully hypnotise...
I know this is probably a commonplace question, but I'm after any tips to get started given that I've already read a fair few books.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Get proper training from qualified professionals that specialize in both hypnosis and entertaining with hypnosis. Safety should also be included in such training. It is really the best investment you can make. Then once you do that seek entertainment business training to properly establish your business and the operations of everything it entails. Best of luck!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Given the wealth of inexpensive information out there it should not be too tough. A person could, and has, read "The Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis" and done shows. It is still a valid work.

In reality it depends greatly upon who you are as a person. How do you learn and process information?

If you really want to learn to do a show, and I mean have a career you can make a living at and learn all that you need to know about it contact Terry Stokes.

One of the best ever by orders of magnitude and he is teaching students. What does it cost? I have no clue. But WHATEVER it is I will guarantee it is worth it IF you are serious.

Terry is probably not the inexpensive alternative. And he shouldn't be. But considering he will give you information that lasts a lifetime making big money it is more than worth it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rssudo
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Rssudo
Right thanks guys, I'll look into it although being a uni student, I'm not really looking for a career just quite yet, more another pastime that could go with my magic if I find I like it enough.
I've read the Science of Hypnotism, The encyclopedia of stage hypnosis, Hypnotism and Self Hypnosis, The truth about Hypnotism, and Deeper and Deeper, however never really had any chance to try out any techniques in the books.
I don't want to put someone at risk, and obviously to start with I only want to do the most basic, but I don't know how to approach someone to ask if I can try stuff if that makes sense?

Are there any 'must read' books?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You want to approach complete strangers on tr street and practice on them? I have absolutely no helpful advice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Hypnosis isn't a magic trick that you quickly learn and then execute. It is a science and then an art if you chose to perform it that comes with liability, risks and potential concerns and dangers if you do not know what you are doing. Then there is also the way it is perceived and experienced by the subjects that should also be a great concern and priority. The last thing you should be thinking of if you desire to truly learn hypnosis is approaching strangers like that. That is what a magician does.

Seems the first step may be having the proper perspective of hypnosis. Magician's "hypnosis" and hypnosis are two different things. Plus those of us that are professional hypnotists don't need any faux-hypnotists or someone spreading incorrect misconceptions about the realities of what it is.

I'm guessing your in the UK?

The rest of us all know now what is going to happen next. Likely wthin the next 24 hours or so...
Rssudo
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Rssudo
I don't mean to approach complete strangers on the street, and I do understand the risks (given my reading isn't purely with regards to stage hypnotism)

I meant approaching people whom I know while performing magic, how would I say "Hey do you mind if I experiment on you" <-- That sort of thing

Quote:
On Jan 9, 2018, Mindpro wrote:

I'm guessing your in the UK?

The rest of us all know now what is going to happen next. Likely wthin the next 24 hours or so...

How did you guess I'm in the UK? And what's going to happen next?
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Www.NoBullHypnosis.com
Feb 9-11 in Las Vegas
Kevin Lepine
Hypnosis Unleashed-THE Vegas Hypnosis Show
www.Kevinlepine.com
www.VegasHypnosisShow.com
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
If you are in the UK, read up on the Hypnotism Act 1952 and also consider insurance.

Also read "Reality is Plastic" by Anthony Jacquin.

Barry
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Terry Stokes is very highly regarded, and seems like a genuinely cool guy. I would like to take a course with him some day.

Michael C Anthony has somewhat recently revamped his Stage Hypnosis University online training.

I've lately been wondering if in person training really is the best, personally. How much can one possibly learn in a weekend? Or a week long course? I've never seen anything offered that's longer than that, that wasn't a college program towards a degree. When you learn online, you can review as many times as you need and take much more thorough notes. That's my personal opinion and I respect that others will likely disagree with me.

Michael's SHU though, seems like the best of both worlds. A lot of videos covering all aspects of entertainment hypnosis (I believe including the health and safety and definitely the business side of things), and then one on one video call sessions to build a show and guide you on the business side. It is not cheap, though, and I don't think it should be.

I haven't done his course and I'm getting no benefit whatsoever to recommend it, but at least to me, it seems like one of the best options out there.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Get proper training is kinda the default answer around here, isn't it?

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do, but if you're like me and just want to LOOK LIKE a magician that can hypnotize people (instead of an actual hypnotist) then I would suggest the way I started: do your hypnosis as a "test" to find the right participant for your next trick.

Start super small: "next I'm going to try something a bit different and I need someone with a great imagination" and then proceed into some standard suggestibility tests like Mag. Fingers / Hands, etc (which are kind of amazing on their own). Do this like you're just looking for the perfect person for your next trick. Then do your trick (a coin bend would work great here).

Once you're comfortable with that, start doing more stuff. Jumping pulse is nice. James Brown has a great free thing called Stuck, I think. These aren't really hypnosis, but once you get confortable with that, you can jump into more serious stuff.

Basically, knowing you're just testing the audience to look for the perfect participant gives you the confidence to try out your hypnosis. The coin bend is cool, because once you find the best participant, you place the bent coin in their hand and can try some stuff like heavy arm and sticking their hand to the table, etc. You won't be afraid to fail, as you know you've got an amazing ending to the trick.

I'm sure this will sound preposterous for some guys here. But that's honestly how I have done it for years and I get great reactions. Then again, in the eyes of my audience, I'm not THE HYPNOTIST, I'm just a magician... And I've never put someone into trance Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
The point is to get the best and proper training, it needs to be done in person, reading books and watching videos are good only to a point. Coaching and/or training have so much more to experience hands-on and of course, the greatest benefit is someone is there to show you, teach you, tell you what you may be doing wrong or are doing incorrectly and for you to truly experience all aspects of it. Most hypnotists claim they have never experienced hypnosis themselves. This can also occur in live training.

And we are just talking (so far) about the basics of hypnosis itself. We haven't even gotten to how to properly and safely entertain with hypnosis or the business aspects of operating as a performance hypnotist.

Weekend training has become popular only due to those attending's time constraints. In my trainings and coaching, I can do a weekend session, a 30-day session, or it can be spread over 3-6 months.

And even after this actual training some of my students take me up on the "A day in the life/on the road with me" training where they actually travel with me and see the entire operation from the inside out. I have continuously been told this was the most beneficial and most thorough part of the training, from these they benefited and received the most.

In their minds, it is just theory or something that looks good on paper, but once they see it and experience it live themselves, it is an entirely different experience. They come out much more prepared and better rounded and equipped to pursue their own interests completely.

The one thing almost every performance hypnosis training event are missing is covering the business side. Success in hypnosis is attained in the business behind the show. After speaking at and hosting a training workshop at Mindvention last year and following the release of my last three entertainment business books, I have been receiving much interest in my lectures, workshops, and trainings. For the first time in decades, I will be speaking at a couple of hypnosis training events and conferences this year and next, because many are realizing this is a huge aspect that is missing from most training events and material. Many want to know how to run a performing business successfully, how to market, get bookings, produce tours, fundraisers, and work in both professional and consumer markets (both quite different) or have their own show or venue.

Again, much more to it than meets the eye and live is the best way to discover all of this and open your eyes to the true possibilities.

Plus there is so much crap out there today you need to learn from known, credible resources on a professional level.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah Adrien L., that is all the pseudo or fake hypnosis that give real hypnosis and it's credibility a bad name. That is completely magician's thinking and lack of respect to the art and science of actual hypnosis. I applaud you for at least saying you are not a hypnotist and have never put anyone into a trance. Most magicians claiming to do hypnosis can actually believe they are doing so.

What you are talking about and real hypnosis training is not anywhere near the same thing. Also, suggestibility tests and sticking one's hand to a table is also not hypnosis (although it seems many in the UK get excited about this as if it is). People certainly wouldn't want to pay to see just that.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Exactly. I agree 100% with everything you said. And that's my point: there a very, very big difference between a "magician" doing "hypnosis" and an hypnotist. A magician can get away with "pseudo hypnosis" (same way he gets away with "pseudo magic"... since he's not doing real magic Smile ).

The thing is: what does the OP want? Does he want to be a hypnotist, or stick peoples hand's to tables? Because that's "all" I want (and other pseudo stuff). And I never call it hypnosis. Is he asking what should be his next step in learning to be a hypnotist, or is he asking about how to incorporate a bit of what he already know into his MAGIC set?

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
Yeah Adrien L., that is all the pseudo or fake hypnosis that give real hypnosis and it's credibility a bad name. That is completely magician's thinking and lack of respect to the art and science of actual hypnosis. I applaud you for at least saying you are not a hypnotist and have never put anyone into a trance. Most magicians claiming to do hypnosis can actually believe they are doing so.

What you are talking about and real hypnosis training is not anywhere near the same thing. Also, suggestibility tests and sticking one's hand to a table is also not hypnosis (although it seems many in the UK get excited about this as if it is). People certainly wouldn't want to pay to see just that.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2018, Adrien L. wrote:
The thing is: what does the OP want? Does he want to be a hypnotist, or stick peoples hand's to tables?

That's the point of all of the responses here because he said he was interested in "making the jump to hypnosis." The insight and advice being offered is based on this.

Perhaps the question really is..does he REALLY want to get into hypnosis?

I cant imagine a guy that wants to become a surgeon but doesn't want to go to school or get the proper training. If he doesn't, he really doesn't want to become a surgeon.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Yep. On the other hand, an actor preparing for the role of a surgeon doesn't have to to to school or get the proper training.

Quote:
I cant imagine a guy that wants to become a surgeon but doesn't want to go to school or get the proper training. If he doesn't, he really doesn't want to become a surgeon.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, but then he really wouldn't be a surgeon would he?
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Absolutely not. But he might just want to be an actor Smile

Quote:
I agree, but then he really wouldn't be a surgeon would he?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But an actor does not claim to be a doctor.

But if all you want to do is play it it that is fine. But don't claim to be a hypnotist. The actor doesn't put MD after their name.

Don't make the claim. Also why bother to learn at all? There are so many ways to dress up crap as hypnosis and if done right it is passable. Why learn at all?

Just do it. Nobody really knows. Don't bother to learn it. There is no point. It will actually hold you back.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Rssudo
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Rssudo
I'm from the UK, and already aware of the laws surrounding hypnosis is the UK. The type of hypnosis I'm interested in learning is what's described by the master over here, Martin S Taylor, as "hypnotism without hypnosis" and with which he produces a full show.
I don't want to become a fully trained hypnotist. Partly because at this point in time I don't have the time or money, but also because you always need a local authority license to actually perform.
I want a small amount of experience in what you would consider to be real hypnosis, and a lot more in what you might consider pseudo-hypnosis, since it can add to aby mental magic act, and the real experience provides both confidences and anecdotes for patter.

Out of interest, would you consider reality is plastic to be real hypnosis or fake?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Getting Started (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL