The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » WRIST CHOPPER Question (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidK
View Profile
New user
Australia
73 Posts

Profile of DavidK
Can anyone recommend, through experience, a good quality wrist chopper at a reasonable price and still available via retail outlets. (I am not too keen on Indian made products). David
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4658 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
There are a few, but how much is a reasonable price for you?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
DavidK
View Profile
New user
Australia
73 Posts

Profile of DavidK
Reasonable price would be between $200-$300.00US
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20357 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Disecto was the best built and could be used for very good comedy, unfortunately they no longer make them, but chose to sell the poorly made India model.

Is there a certain design you are looking to use?

If your were not in Australia, I have a Supreme Magic Disecto, never used that is very well made and is in perfect condition. Postage to Australia's is ridiculous.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7039 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'll PM you.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
thomasR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Jimmy fingers has one that gets good reviews... I've not personaly seen one but heard good things.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4658 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
There have been dozens over the years as I'm sure you've done your research... https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+wr......bih=1053

I love this plot, and have a mini-collection of a dozen or so classic versions of the prop that gets it done. Sadly, as good as they are, you can only find them at auction.

Currently, I don't have any recommendations as you will most likely be purchasing a knock-off in this price range. It's not an easy prop to make...realizing that there are safety issues to consider. I second thomasR's recommendation of Jimmy Finger's version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwJ9g7RiPc

It is ungimmicked and easy to use. It is basically a large version of this prop: https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/cl......ld-magic I apologize as I can't remember the name of the creator (I think it pre-dates Wild Magic), but the idea behind the prop is genius, and looks fantastic.

Long story short, the Jimmy Fingers' prop will cost you more than your budget if you are lucky enough to find one. But, from every single review I have read, (I unfortunately do not own one), it's worth it.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Staff
Maryland
5190 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Affordable, well made, and magical wrist choppers are out there.

Bill mentions the Abbott's Disecto as being a nice version. It is very portable, easy to use, fairly safe (you can scratch a spectator helper if you are under rehearsed and sloppy) and magical. It is a weird looking device that lends itself to all number of patter stories. Best part is that it takes very little room in the case (packs fairly flat).

Right now today (January 13, 2018) Hocus Pocus has two for sale for under $100.00. They are not the knock off's from India. both are gently used and seem to be in good condition. Use the Hocus Pocus search function and search "wrist chopper" to find them.

A second recommendation is the MAK made "French Arm Chopper" . It is the version that does not have a gimmicked blade and that hand is seen to all into the bag/basket when chopped off. It is heaver and larger than the Disecto prop. It is still fairly lightweight and portable.

You can buy one from denny & lee's Magic Studio for $150.00 (plus shipping).

http://dennymagic.com/store/mak-magic-fr......per.html

Rich Marrotta gives some nice touches (his work) with the prop on his DVD "Rich Marotta & Twila Zone Dynamic Duo!" If you get the French Arm Chopper then you'll want to check out this DVD.

However, increase your budget and you can buy Jimmy Fingers "Choppo" Killer prop. it is the Mercedes of wrist choppers. Nothing is gimmicked and everything appears innocent and is examinable IF you wanted to do so. It is also very portable. There is nothing to break or go wrong. Check out the link to the performance video above. I like it a lot and highly recommend it.

You can buy it from Jimmy at: http://www.jimmyfingers.com/products

In terms of size and weight, Disecto is the smallest but still highly visible, weighs the least (couple pounds) and is the most portable of the bunch. the French Arm Chopper and Choppo are similar in size and weight. Choppo might actually weigh a tad more.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20357 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry, Abbott's do not make Disecto any longer, for the last few years, they been selling the India model, real junk. Just checked their website, they only have something they are calling Disecto, but it is nothing like the original. Looks worse then the India model.

The India Disecto's most be all sold out as well. So only 2nd or 3rd hand would be the places to look.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Of course way out of the price range and no longer made but the Delben two hole wrist chopper is fantastic and hands down my personal favorite magic prop. http://www.gimpysmagic.com/detwohoarmch1.html

Jimmy Fingers Choppo as mentioned is as good as it gets. I made them for Jimmy for years. Easy to transport and will never break fail or hurt anyone. You can run over one of these with a car and it will still work.....Trust me I know.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Staff
Maryland
5190 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bill the Disecto's on Hocus Pocus are in the Estate/Used Magic sections. At least one is an Abbott's and the real deal. So they are used and second hand at best. My Disecto was from the late 50s and has been used regularly since. It works like a dream even if it shows some bumps and scrapes. AND I got it second hand. An old carney magician Don Boles gave it to me a few years ago I gave it to a young magician friend who uses it in every show. I sort of passed on Don's generosity to the next generation. I suspect that in twenty years it will be passed on again. It is difficult to believe that a prop made over 60 years ago and used regularly since being built is still being used and still looks presentable. You cannot say that about a lot of stuff.

I know that Abbot's doesn't make much of anything anymore but rely on getting inexpensive/cheap Indian items. Sad really.

Gimpy I had a Delbin two hole wrist chopper for a while. I later got a Fairchild version. The Fairchild version was actually a better design (more along the Clarence Miller chopper). I still have one of the few Guillotine's (stage size) that Ben Stone (Delben) made.

Presently I am using Jimmy Finger's Choppo and, as you say, it is pretty indestructible. It plays well.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1447 Posts

Profile of David Todd
The Jimmy Finger's "Choppo" is a very strong effect .

But I'd also say that if you have the right venue to present it , U.F. Grant's (MAK Magic) "French Arm Chopper" is very strong , too . (it has some angle issues.)

However, I would say plan on stripping down the standard-issue French Arm Chopper from MAK and re-decorating it along the lines of what C.J. Richard did with his. See these threads that show what he did with his --

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=26

and

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=242

Daytona Magic sells a "plain wood" version of the French Arm Chopper that could be presented as is , or with a little work decorated somewhat more elaborately:

https://www.daytonamagic.com/visible-arm-chopper-up830m.html

DavidK
View Profile
New user
Australia
73 Posts

Profile of DavidK
Thank you all for providing much needed information that will assist me in deciding on a wrist chopper.

David
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2373 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
My favorite is a routine that begins with a finger chopper, moves on to Grant's Wrist Guillotine, and ends with a full size head guillotine. It was a favorite of our Wiz Kids and was last performed in 2011 by Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki at a "Music Under the Stars Concert" - http://wizkidzinc.com/09TysonBPA/SPRING2......1-11.htm

It is performed in three parts. The magician shows off a finger chopper he "just bought at a joke shop" and looks to find someone who is brave enough to insert his finger. He ends up demonstrating by sticking his own pinky finger into the chopper, and chopping it off - it drops to the floor while he performs the Meir Yedid missing pinky finger move. He picks up the rubber finger and "reattaches" it to his hand and then moves on to some other less dangerous trick. Later, he shows off the French Guillotine Wrist Chopper as a vegetable slicer and dicer and gets the same victim back up to see if he is brave enough to put his hand in it. He shows the victim how easy it is, and demonstrates with his own hand, whereupon he "accidentally" cuts his hand off, pulls a rubber hand out of the bag, reattaches it to his wrist and continues the show with something less dangerous. Finally, he drags out the big head guillotine, gets the same victim back up, and this time while demonstrating the guillotine, puts his own head in and the victim pulls the cord that brings the blade crashing through his head. The magician staggers out of the guillotine, and does the head drop illusion a few times until he finally gets his head back on his neck, ties on a scarf to hold his head in place, whereupon the scarf penetrates his neck and comes out looking bloody. With the right audience of screaming teenagers, it is hilarious.
Jim Gerrish

http://www.wizkidzinc.com

http://www.magicnook.com

Home of The Wizards' Journals
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1145 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I know that everybody likes Choppo, but I used Disecto for decades, and it still brings a smile to my face. I remember having my original Abbott's Disecto stolen out of my car when someone broke in for my unicycle. No object in the history of the automobile is responsible for more broken glass than a unicycle. I ordered a Disecto from Douglas Tilford, back then in the 80's. I was a little bit concerned that the quality or build would be subpar, but THAT Disecto was built like a brick shiphouse! It was built like those little Swedish/German Brio trains that had the wooden tracks. It was beautiful.

Years later, I designed a new Discecto with slats for the carrots instead of round holes, no feet/stands, weighted and balanced to sit on the wrist of the helper, balanced and straight up. No half moons, all done out in the open. It was great! But, when Choppo came along, all bets were off. I'll always have a soft place in my heart for Disecto. I'll try to get a picture of my design.

Good luck, whichever direction that you go,

Jimmy Fingers
www.jimmyfingers.com/products
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6495 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Add me to the fans of Choppo! I know. $495 plus shipping. BUT! Like ME, you can SAVE for it! It's a worker. I have the "Blade Runner" model finger version. Myself, I would NOT use ANY other chopper than Choppo! Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » WRIST CHOPPER Question (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL