The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking questions (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
I have been preparing to start busking as soon as the weather gets a hair warmer. My questions are:

How long should a show run?
How many tricks to do?
Besides the cups and balls, Cut and restored rope, What are some other suggestions for types of tricks to do?
What are some good books or materials to look into for such Tricks for busking?

I have a lot of hopes and ideas. I am glad to have an outlet for my magic rather then just reading or practice. Cups and balls it by far one of my favorites. I have been working on C&B as well as a levitation thanks to JoeJoe. I would like to find a few things more to structure a show. I have also started to teach myself juggling. We will see if that pans out.

I am going for some form of classic performer. I am curious to see if that drifts to more wizard/alchemist or juggler/gleeman.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Best resources:

Reading past threads in this forum
Subscribe to Reel Magic Magazinfe (online video magazine: http://www.reelmagicmagazine.com/ ). Lots of interviews with street performers and there’s videos of Cellini.
Kozmo’s DVD’s “Tales from the Street” from Penguin ( http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11030 )
Jimmy Talksalot Blog ( http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/ )
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I am not a working pro but here I what works for me.

I do short 20min shows back to back. Spending 90min on one pitch for 30-30 People at a time. Then break and do another 90min.

How many tricks to do?
- Endless Bananas as eye catcher to stop first 5 pepole,
- Sponge balls to build up crowd,
- Single rope This really attracts people and helps to grow the crowd to 20-30,
- Mario Morris worlds most dangerous card trick This trick has been promised and set up in between the other effects.

Besides the cups and balls, Cut and restored rope, What are some other suggestions for types of tricks to do?
- I have used Professors nightmare, egg bag, Dye tube, 3 balls and a net, ring and rope.
- I have seen Chop cup, card routines, magic squarer, straigth jacket,

- I loved Jimmy Talks a lot book and blog.

In your post you said 'I have a lot of hopes and ideas. I am glad to have an outlet for my magic rather then just reading or practices' This is pretty much why I hit the streets. My proper job is I go in to school and do science shows. But on weekends and school holidays I busk. It great to try new things change stuff around. The skill to make them stop, stay and pay was changeling for me but now I am more comfortable with it. I still have a lot to learn and work on but hope this help
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Just take some stuff you can do without thinking and hit the streets.

Try to get some people to stop.
Once you get a few to stop, do not start doing magic.
Be interested in whatever you're doing and try to get more people to come over.
Once you have 3 - 5 different groups standing there, get started.
Magic is only a means to an end, the street is all about having fun.
If you are not fun and funny, you will lose them faster than you'd imagine.

The good news is also the bad news: either you will catch on to what works from being out there or you will starve.

Finally, if you put together a street show that makes you a living "on the street" you can take that show to ANY venue and you will do great!

Have fun!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Cbguy is spot on. Just to add to this idea of just taking a few tricks out and getting on with it. Make a sign that says 'Magic show' this can just be made with Sharpie and cardboard. This sign will get you over the first hurdle of the public asking 'Why are you there?'

Also have a tip bowl so people can tip at any point. This will become a problem later on but for now its a good idea. When you know what stage of effect get good reaction or when you build tension and know pepole will wait that's a good place for a hat line. I use to to a ACR and at after a few phases I would annouce 'I am now going to do the worlds fastest card trick, what your about to see people have paid bib bucks, however you get to see it just for a tips'It just plant the idea you can be a bit more direct later on.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy your magic,

BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Why would having a tip bucket out be a problem
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
My advice would be NOT to do the same thing everyone else is doing. You mention you had a lot of ideas.....pick something no one else is doing....and make it work. The principles of busking remain the same (crowd gathering etc.), just try and come up with something novel and unique.

And sorry to answer a question with a question....by why on earth do you want try Busking?
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Once you know how to hat your audience, having a tip bucket out the entire time can be a problem. You won't understand this until you get good at busking.

If you learn to busk successfully, you will be better than ANY other magician...WHY? because you will have learned something they probably suck at....being an entertainer.

Magicians are a dime a dozen...Entertainers are much harder to come by.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, BlindWizard wrote:
Why would having a tip bucket out be a problem

Cbguys has hot the nail on the head. Just as you are building to the end routine you are building to hating the crowd. So having it out could mean people pay and leave. You want that surge at the end.

It is a fine balance but start with it out and see how it gose
Enjoy your magic,

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2018, BlindWizard wrote:
I have been preparing to start busking as soon as the weather gets a hair warmer. My questions are:

How many tricks to do?

I have a lot of hopes and ideas. I am glad to have an outlet for my magic rather then just reading or practice. Cups and balls it by far one of my favorites. I have been working on C&B as well as a levitation thanks to JoeJoe. I would like to find a few things more to structure a show. I have also started to teach myself juggling. We will see if that pans out.

I am going for some form of classic performer. I am curious to see if that drifts to more wizard/alchemist or juggler/gleeman.

if you're just starting I'd go with just a few tricks; like 3 or 4 ish.

"most entertaining" doesn't mean having people watch your excellent 'chops' as you deal cards, manipulate cups and balls, staring down at your props and show off.

"most entertaining" means looking up and out, connecting with your audience, interacting with them, listening to them, responding to their BS, getting them to laugh and respond, laughing with them, much of it in front of your table, not behind it. Being able to go off script and back on script throughout your act. How long it takes to be able to do this is depends on how well you understand how important it is and how often you do your act.

Many magicians think the most important thing is the "chops" and the "fooling".

The fooling is essential but the most important is the "entertaining".

If you only fool them, they will feel like fools.
Id you only entertain them, you look like a fool.

If you fool while you entertain, you're on the right track.

linking rings is great. egg bag is great.

prof. nightmare is excellent.
I'd suggest you consider that instead of cut and restored for many reasons.
instant reset
no need for lots of rope
no garbage to collect
no scissors necessary
you can hand out 3 pieces of rope to 3 different people, including passers-by, to help build an edge. (this is perhaps the best reason).

a fun silk/tt trick would be great (unless you're scared people know that trick. then you have to get over that fallacy)

All of those have instant reset, can be hilarious don't have wind restrictions and you don't even need a table, per se.

Cups and balls is awesome too and is a classic.

Best of luck!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2018, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2018, BlindWizard wrote:

How many tricks to do?

if you're just starting I'd go with just a few tricks; like 3 or 4 ish.

"most entertaining" doesn't mean having people watch your excellent 'chops' as you deal cards, manipulate cups and balls, staring down at your props and show off.

"most entertaining" means looking up and out, connecting with your audience, interacting with them, listening to them, responding to their BS, getting them to laugh and respond, laughing with them, much of it in front of your table, not behind it. Being able to go off script and back on script throughout your act. How long it takes to be able to do this is depends on how well you understand how important it is and how often you do your act.

Many magicians think the most important thing is the "chops" and the "fooling".

The fooling is essential but the most important is the "entertaining".

If you only fool them, they will feel like fools.
Id you only entertain them, you look like a fool.

If you fool while you entertain, you're on the right track.

linking rings is great. egg bag is great.

prof. nightmare is excellent.
I'd suggest you consider that instead of cut and restored for many reasons.
instant reset
no need for lots of rope
no garbage to collect
no scissors necessary
you can hand out 3 pieces of rope to 3 different people, including passers-by, to help build an edge. (this is perhaps the best reason).

a fun silk/tt trick would be great (unless you're scared people know that trick. then you have to get over that fallacy)

All of those have instant reset, can be hilarious don't have wind restrictions and you don't even need a table, per se.

Cups and balls is awesome too and is a classic.

Best of luck!

Its almot like he repeated what already been said, yet gives so much more. This is great. I want to highlight 3-4 trick and no table is a great way to start. Do heaps of shows back to back. Your be fast and ligth to this helps with stamina and you ave less to worry about.

Greta advice Frank
Enjoy your magic,

BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Thank you all for the help and advice.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Rope tricks
Linking rings
Hydrostatic glass
Thumb tie
Egg bag
Grand mother necklace
Trouble wit
Chop cup
Card in balloon
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
The #1 tip that I learned... it's way easier to draw a crowd if you are actually doing something magical that draws attention AND instantly looks like magic. Ideally something that can be repeated several times as necessary.

For me, I use the linking rings. Rings are shiny... make noise when you clank them together... are instantly associated with magic... and can be repeated over and over again until a crowd has formed. The other routine that would fit the bill good is Misers Dream.

After that... do whatever you want and see what works. Lots of good suggestions have been mentioned. Professors Nightmare always got a good reaction, even when I performed it really really poorly. As Ambitious Card mentioned.. handing out the 3 ropes is great.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2018, thomasR wrote:
The #1 tip that I learned... it's way easier to draw a crowd if you are actually doing something magical that draws attention AND instantly looks like magic. Ideally something that can be repeated several times as necessary.

For me, I use the linking rings. Rings are shiny... make noise when you clank them together... are instantly associated with magic... and can be repeated over and over again until a crowd has formed. The other routine that would fit the bill good is Misers Dream.

After that... do whatever you want and see what works. Lots of good suggestions have been mentioned. Professors Nightmare always got a good reaction, even when I performed it really really poorly. As Ambitious Card mentioned.. handing out the 3 ropes is great.

that's why I love endless bananas!
Enjoy your magic,

BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Do people traditionally have one routine they just repeat over and over throughout the day or three routines that you cycle through?
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Just go out and do it. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing. Get off of the Café and get out there.
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2018, cbguy wrote:
Just go out and do it. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing. Get off of the Café and get out there.

I have not practiced enough yet. But I am getting there.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Just go out and do it, you're gonna suck either way, guaranteed! Practice in front of people. You'll be in a practicum and you'll improve faster. The street is not about your sleights, its about entertainment. You can't learn that without doing it in a live situation.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2018, cbguy wrote:
Just go out and do it, you're gonna suck either way, guaranteed! Practice in front of people. You'll be in a practicum and you'll improve faster. The street is not about your sleights, its about entertainment. You can't learn that without doing it in a live situation.

This is probably the best advice given so far.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking questions (23 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL