The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Living Dangerously -- Chinese Ring Illusion (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
Thousand Oaks, California
338 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Yes, this is a beginner trick, but looking at my drawer of craft materials I took notice of a grained and sparkly craft paper. I thought it might be an interesting card stock to use in constructing this effect. I picked up a pair of 1.5 inch purse rings at the craft store and put it together in 10 minutes or so. Used Loctite Go2 Glue which dries clear.

Why is this living dangerously. The one ring (nope, not *The One Ring* of Lord of the Rings Smile ) needs to be aligned very carefully in order not to give it away. But with a little practice I am able to make sure it aligns close enough. Also, accidentally sliding a ring is a no-no.

What is the upside? I think the illusion is more compelling with the grained and sparkly card stock. See photo.

As a PS I am thinking about making a second ring that will match my close up pad and incorporate both in a small routine. Need to think it through as to how to manipulate the three rings and as a final improvement incorporate some sleights to exchange rings for examination as a stronger presentation.

Click here to view attached image.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11132 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
One thought... you can use the weld in the ring as a directional indicator. I am assuming that you slip a card of some type in between the rings before placing the whole unit over the coin. Then, remove the top ring and finally the card.

If when you make your set (even though you already have), orient the weld spot so that it points directly toward you when the paper is properly aligned. You should easily be able to easily see the weld mark when you place everything over the coin, even when you cannot see the pattern in the gimmick.

You can also slide that ring, as long as your hand screens the top view. Use the weld mark in the same manner before removing your hand.

One way to use a third ring on your close up pad would be to have the ungimmicked ring sitting on top of it (the "pad" gimmicked ring). Also have your 1st gimmicked ring (paper pattern) atop the patterned paper with a duplicate coin underneath. The visible coin is sitting on the pad directly behind the two stacked rings (nothing in between the rings). As you apparently pick up the coin and the top ungimmicked ring (both at the same time in different hands), slightly lift the stack of rings, creating a slight gap under the back edge.

Now, as you apparently pick up the coin at the same moment, thumb-kick it under the "pad" gimmicked ring. This is the move David Roth describes in his Portable Hole routine. The coin will be kicked under the "pad" gimmicked ring, where it will become invisible. You still act as if you actually picked up this coin. Your other hand only picks up the ungimmicked ring only, leaving the other on the pad with the concealed coin underneath.

Now, the hand holding the ungimmicked ring places it atop the ring on the paper. Act as if you drop the coin into this set of stacked rings (no "in-between card needed at this time). It will instantly vanish as if dropped into a deep hole. Use the card in between the rings to make it reappear as per usual. You may then vanish this coin using sleight of hand, and cause it to reappear at the pad ring, using the card and ungimmicked ring in the usual manner.

What this does is uses the gimmicks in a more subtle manner. No vanish happens in the way they normally would be used.

Just thinking out loud...

:)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks for your comments Michael!

Quote:
On Jan 17, 2018, Michael Baker wrote:
One thought... you can use the weld in the ring as a directional indicator. I am assuming that you slip a card of some type in between the rings before placing the whole unit over the coin. Then, remove the top ring and finally the card.

If when you make your set (even though you already have), orient the weld spot so that it points directly toward you when the paper is properly aligned. You should easily be able to easily see the weld mark when you place everything over the coin, even when you cannot see the pattern in the gimmick.

My current set has the weld at 5 o'clock. Yep, your comment is spot on! The ring slipped as I was gluing it and I lost focus when I set it aside to dry. I can pretty much see if the ring is at 5 o'clock which is what I'm practicing with -- but 6 o'clock would be much better I think. I can always disassemble it and try again! Which I no doubt will, lol !

Quote:

You can also slide that ring, as long as your hand screens the top view. Use the weld mark in the same manner before removing your hand.

Excellent advice! Thank you!

Quote:

One way to use a third ring on your close up pad would be to have the ungimmicked ring sitting on top of it (the "pad" gimmicked ring). Also have your 1st gimmicked ring (paper pattern) atop the patterned paper with a duplicate coin underneath. The visible coin is sitting on the pad directly behind the two stacked rings (nothing in between the rings). As you apparently pick up the coin and the top ungimmicked ring (both at the same time in different hands), slightly lift the stack of rings, creating a slight gap under the back edge.

Now, as you apparently pick up the coin at the same moment, thumb-kick it under the "pad" gimmicked ring. This is the move David Roth describes in his Portable Hole routine. The coin will be kicked under the "pad" gimmicked ring, where it will become invisible. You still act as if you actually picked up this coin. Your other hand only picks up the ungimmicked ring only, leaving the other on the pad with the concealed coin underneath.

Now, the hand holding the ungimmicked ring places it atop the ring on the paper. Act as if you drop the coin into this set of stacked rings (no "in-between card needed at this time). It will instantly vanish as if dropped into a deep hole. Use the card in between the rings to make it reappear as per usual. You may then vanish this coin using sleight of hand, and cause it to reappear at the pad ring, using the card and ungimmicked ring in the usual manner.

What this does is uses the gimmicks in a more subtle manner. No vanish happens in the way they normally would be used.

Just thinking out loud...

:)

Excellent! Sounds great Michael! Thank you very much. Exactly the type of help I needed! Now time for me to practice!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11132 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Good luck!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
In the mean time I showed a black art version of the ring illusion at our local magician's fellowship last week -- the theme was black art effects so I made a new version with the card mat lined with black suede paper. Of course everyone knew how it works but they liked the visual effect of the props. I lined the left and right borders of the little coin mat with silver glitter tape. I also used gold rings instead of silver -- the contrast of the gold metal and black suede is rather striking. Today, as I was pondering the effect, I happened upon a eureka moment(!) and a new way to make the gimmick that enhances the illusion considerably and camouflages the gimmick! I don't think I've seen this version anywhere -- but as they say there is nothing new under the sun, so there may one already described somewhere! I modified the props appropriately and it looks great in my opinion. At any rate, this new version along with Michael's handling above should kick this effect up another notch!
docguitarman
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Here is a photo of the improved illusion! We can "see" through both rings!

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Living Dangerously -- Chinese Ring Illusion (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL