The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin release for Miser's Dream...having trouble (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
I am starting out with the Miser's Dream and having trouble with the coin release of all things...I'm using simple half dollars, not palming coins, and sometime two go, sometimes it's slow. I'm just not getting it right. Any advise or thoughts on that part of the routine? Thanks and don't tease me too much! DA
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I don’t know your source for learning it. I am sure you will hear it gets better with practice. How could it not. Take note of the angle you are holding the can at. Straight up a down may be the worst. If it’s tipped back slightly the coins will slide on the side more easily.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Seconded here. It sounds like it's a problem with the tool you're using, rather than something particular to the routine itself. As already said - there are a lot of different ways (and tools to use) to do the routine.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Agreeing with the above, there are many ways of doing Misers Dream with no special dropper or can. Also, the apparent/real "drop in the bucket" is important when synchronized to
enhance the illusion of the productions. Yet, many have posted about the variety and humor of the productions being the most entertaining part.

The original routine ended with an empty can (the dream part). You are trying to end up with a full bucket. Does the amount shown equal the number produced? etc.
So, as tons suggested, what are your trying to accomplish? What is "particular to that routine?" What will the observer remember occurred (rather than that actually happened)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Before dropping a coin, make sure you have pushed it off the stack somewhat with your first finger. That way, you will have better control over the exact point in time when the coin drops, and you will also be sure to drop only one coin.

I also agree with the other poster's comment about not holding the bucket straight up and down. If you hold it at an angle, the coin will have further to go (from one side of the bucket to the other), and will make more noise when it lands in the opposite corner.

As you already know, the drop needs to be perfectly synchronized or the illusion will be destroyed. Practice in front of a mirror and keep at it until it looks (and sounds) right.

For detailed info on performing the Miser's Dream, check out Bobo's MODERN COIN MAGIC. There is a great 3-disc DVD set on the Miser's Dream by Levent. Unfortunately, it seems to be out of print, but may still be in stock at some magic shops, so shop around. There is another fine Miser's Dream DVD by Chris Capeheart which is currently available, and is also highly recommended. As for coin pails, I picked up a perfectly sized and very loud one at Bed, Bath & Beyond for about $10; it is stainless steel and was originally designed to hold kitchen utensils. (In fact, I bought two so I'd have a backup.) No need to get fancy or expensive about this!

Best of luck to you, the Miser's Dream is a wonderful effect when performed well! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
I thank you all for this wonderful advice. I'm actually using the $10 BB and Beyond bucket and the angle idea is super...much louder than when straight up and down. I'll look to the Capehart DVD...I like his rings one very much. DA
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Best bet is to get Levent's Ultimate Guide to the Miser's Dream DVD set. He goes into extreme detail on every aspect imaginable. http://www.leventmagic.com/

Jim
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
David Williamson solves that problem by holding the handle of the bucket, rather than the bucket. Smile
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I'm glad to see that Levent's Miser's Dream DVD set is available directly from him.

Another good source for Miser's Dream information is John Carney's BOOK OF SECRETS, which has an entire chapter on the effect and plenty of good ideas.

BTW, it's ironic that the more coins you produce, the less noise they will make in the pail. That's because after a while, the dropped coins are just hitting against each other, instead of against the bottom and walls of the pail. So I've found it's best to keep it to no more than about 8-10 coins at a time. There are plenty of ways to reload and continue producing coins, so it can appear that more than 8-10 coins are in play.

For a good finale, you may also want to look into a coin dumper. This little gizmo will securely hold and deliver a roll of about 8-10 coins into your hand quickly and silently, without any muss or fuss. You can then produce a shower of coins from your assistant's nose, for example. The device costs about $5, works by gravity alone and is likely to last a lifetime. Check with your local dealer or online at The Magic Warehouse. SETH
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've used the Misers Dream since 1946.

I've written up a complete "essay" in my book on the Misers Dream. I do it on my dvd, at several elementary schools. I've probably performed it at least 25,000 times, before high schools and elementaries. For the past 40 years, it has CLOSED my elementary school program.

PM me, and, I'll make some suggestions, which may be helpful. I've met Chris Capeheart. He's a nice guy, and, I too, like his rings. I am not excited about his Misers Dream. I'll tell you why, if you PM me. When you write, tell me briefly, "what you know" about methods, and, also your thoughts on its PRESENTATION. That will speed things up.

The ball is now in YOUR COURT........
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
One thing I really liked about Chris Capeheart's Miser's Dream was his use of the CP to produce the coins. I had to watch the DVD about six times, and then finally run it in slow motion to see exactly what he was doing, Still very impressive and very mystifying!

I have repeatedly tried and failed to acquire the CP sleight. But I get by just fine with FP's and TP's. And of course, it's not so much how you DO the trick, but how you PRESENT it. In my experience, the quantity of coins is not as important as the manner in which each one is produced.

Good luck on your Miser's Dream adventures! SETH
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sethb! My 'motto' for more years than I care to count, has been KIS MIF. (Keep It Simple Make It Fun).

Your "analysis" of the MD is quite good. (i.e. the use of the FP, and the ThP. Those are "mechanics".)

When I was a teenager, I worked in a carnival "ten in one"". I must have done the MD, at least 15 times a day! At that period in my life, I was extremely interested in learning new sleights. I learned to do the Down's palm with both hands. (I was trying to be "suave & debonair"! --I wasn't!) I joined the Navy, at 19, and "got" an agent. He said, "If you can make 'em laugh, I can get you work." I did, and he did. I made enough money that, I rented an apartment, in town, bought a late model used car, a new tux, and, was able to send my Navy salary home to my bank, for the next 3 1/2 years. (I quit using the Downs! A few years later, the late Faucett Ross, who KNEW T. Nelson Downs, told me that, "Tommy said that the ENTERTAINMENT, is in producing a coin from a child's ear!"

That's what I've done since!

You have realized what too many performers haven't! --It's the PRESENTATION! We old timers have said, for years: "It isn't WHAT you do, it's HOW you do it."

In my book, "DICK OSLUND -- ROAD SCHOLAR", I wrote a "chapter" on the MD. I have a dvd, of my school show, and, the MD, CLOSES the show. I keep "it" simple, and make it FUN.

Al Flosso, (another old circus performer) and, I were very good friends. We shared a philosophy, about the MD. BTW, I work without a coat. (NO
"droppers" or "dumpers".) The MD, needs NO "set up", and, any "tin can" (no gaff) will "work".

Dader 76 has not PM'd me yet.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Dick --- Thanks for all the good info. I agree that some magicians tend to get tied up in the workings of an effect, rather than its presentation. But sooner or later they find out what's important, if they are listening to their audiences.

I was privileged to know Al Flosso and to learn from him. A little guy with a very big heart! Whenever I visited his shop, he made sure that in addition to whatever tricks I bought, that I always went home with a book (Hugard's MODERN MAGIC MANUAL, Hilliard's GREATER MAGIC, Elliot's CLASSIC SECRETS OF MAGIC, a volume of the TARBELL COURSE, etc.). I still refer to those books today.

As you say, it's certainly possible to do the "nose shower" without a coin dumper. But for me, I found that it's a little cleaner and perhaps more impressive, because you don't have to go anywhere near the pail for the steal and the dumper gives you a neat, tight stack. But you can certainly accomplish the same thing without a dumper, using some good misdirection. SETH
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah! Al and I were good friends. We were both old sideshow magicians! Over the years, when the "Collectors" had their annual meeting in the back room at Inc., Al and I would share the Charlie Miller Suite. I never had the opportunity to visit his "shoppe", but, I did write up a few anecdotes about his "salon de magie", in my book. The funniest one, I think, was about the solar eclipse, the smoked glass, and Al's front window. The other, about the shop, long after Al had gone to the "big lot in the sky, where all the lots are level, and grassy, it never rains, and every day is a "red one"! My pal, the recently late, Chuck Windley, had dropped in to schmooze a little, with Jackie. Jackie told Chuck that the building had been sold, and, he had to move out. "Is there anything in the shop that you would like, to remember the good old days?", he asked. Chuck thought for just a moment, and replied, "Yes! The toilet seat!" Jackie, surprised, asked, "Why"?" Chuck grinned, and said, "Harry Houdini sat on that toilet seat!" Chuck hung the toilet seat on the wall in his living room. I must ask Bob Baxt, Chuck's executor, what is going to happen with that souvenir!

I think that I mentioned breaking in the business, in a carnie side show. In a "ten in one" the working acts usually did only one trick, and, then pitched their "trick" package. Occasionally, on a fair date, when the show opened at 10 AM (when the Merry Go Round organ began to play) I would need to pad out my part of the show, with a rope trick, and/or a version of the "vanishing square knot", so the marks wouldn't enter the top, and, get hit with a pitch for the blowoff. (extra 50 cents). The MD was my "big trick", but, doing the rope, and the hankie knot provided a good learning opportunity. I used a #10 tin can (saved from the carnie cook house) a few Green River Whiskey coins, with a half dollar on both ends of the stack, and, a ThP. It was hot in the tent, so I just wore a shirt. Another good thing...all the props were carried in the tin can!

I met Red Friend in the Ringling Side Show, in the summer of '46. He used a @10 coffee can, too, and, also no coat!
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Here is another good source http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14830

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
A great thing about a 10-in-1 is that you got to perform the same trick, over and over, until you perfected it. A big problem for today's magicians is a lack of places to perform. There's no more vaudeville, Chatauqua, Amateur Nights, nightclubs, and very few carnivals. I believe it was David Devant who said that an amateur magician is someone who always performs different tricks for the same people (wife, kids, co-workers, neighbors, etc.), while a professional magician is someone who always performs the same tricks for different people.

I pitched Svengali Decks and Magic Worms at street fairs for several years, always using the same patter and routines. It was GREAT experience. After a while I could do it in my sleep, but I knew exactly where all the laughs were --- and learned exactly when to start turning the tip. As my late friend and master Svengali pitchman Don Driver explained to me, "a pitchman is NOT a magician, but pitching magic tricks will make you a better magician." Hey, when you do 50+ DL's a day with a Svengali Deck, your technique is bound to improve! And performing in front of strangers over and over again really improves your confidence, delivery and stage presence. SETH
robert_baxt
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA. USA
87 Posts

Profile of robert_baxt
Mark Boody, thank you so much for the link to my DVD on the Penguin site! It's also available from me at www.robertbaxt.com/shop.html and when you get it from me, I include some practice palming coin washers that you don't get from any other dealer.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
My friend Bob Baxt's MD dvd will give you some important information, plus presentation ideas!

Well, it has been OVER A MONTH, since the OP, dader 76, who lists himself as a "financial strategist", in his profile, has had my invitation to PM me.

I'm 86, and, have been performing the Misers Dream, since I was 14. APPARENTLY, he is not interested in hearing some "tips", on the MD.

So, I'll withdraw my invitation to PM me!
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Too bad...his loss!!!
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Bunny Quinn
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Bunny Quinn
I was having the same problem as daxer76 and the advice here really helped me. Maybe he didn't need to pm your, Dick? Still, v. nice of you to offer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin release for Miser's Dream...having trouble (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL