The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Does anyone not do Gazzo? (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2018, Nickoli Sharpe wrote:
Not arguing just making a observation.

What you observed was me turning my back to the "camera" ... not the "audience". At the point you claim my back is turned, I am looking at the person on my far right directly in the eye (always). Why always??

Quote:
On Jan 31, 2018, Endless West wrote:
JoeJoe has been working that pitch forever, obviously it works for him or he wouldn't keep doing it.

At that point in the routine, I am displaying the ball to everyone in the circle - from my far right, to my far left. Eye contact. Pause, delay, suspense. You are looking at my pouch, everyone else is looking at the ball I am "breaking the ceiling" with. The lemon doesn't exist in their minds. Watch my lecture, learn something. Smile

And it doesn't have anything to do what-so-ever with the sequences I am referencing in this thread. Let me explain it like this, the first cups and balls I had were three different colored plastic cups and I was taught if you stack two cups and put the ball on top, when you put the cups back down the ball will be on the cup in the right.

Well one day I realized I could put that cup down in the center, and nobody would notice. Or, I could put it down on the right ... or even the left. If I didn't have two cups stacked, I could just put the cup with the ball on the right anyway and again nobody would notice.

Then I realized I could "clip" a ball as I picked up the cup and it would be empty. I could set the cup down again and it would have a ball. I got good at clipping, and I could put a cup on top of two balls and clip only one of them, or clip both of them even.

Suddenly the routine didn't matter ... I could put balls where ever I wanted at will on demand. I then came up with three different ways to get all three balls under the center cup. I then came up with three different ways to get them back. That was when I realized I could film myself doing this, and not know which way I did it when I watched it back. It became a lot of fun at that point, sometimes I didn't want people to stop and watch because I'd be so into it myself I wouldn't want to stop and do the "routine".

Hopefully that will explain it better. "free style" I call it, just having fun moving balls around with my mind. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Wonderful sounds like you have it all thought out.

Thank you for taking the time to show me how it’s done.

All the best Joe Joe,
Nickoli
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Why do so many magicians have egos the size of the state of Texas? There is absolutely no need to bust the balls of everyone else and think your way is the only way?

This is why I do not like most magicians.

Joe Joe seems like a guy I'd hang out with, talk to and be a friend. Some other folks who have posted here come across sounding like they are better than everyone else. Who would want to hang out and be friends with someone who comes across like a social-path?

Seriously, when people start name dropping and coming across like they are the $hit, I'm pretty sure that person is just trying to stroke themselves because they have some kind of insecurity or self-esteem issues. Chill out and be a little more friendly.
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
I have said for years that I think JoeJoe should go on the lecture circuit. He has so much knowledge. He can tell you what area to busk, to pick up the most traffic, he can tell you ideas of what to wear to keep cool, the height of a table and why, and on and on.... he has created some of the best IT utilities in the world, and after all that, he is a genuine great guy!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I do Kozmos routine....works for me
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
185 Posts

Profile of Endless West
Sorry Koz, he said does anyone NOT do Gazzo!
😂😂😂😂😂😂
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
I've been doing a 2 cup routine for years that incorporates aspects of many routines. Up until recently I had been ending with 3 loads from the pocket. While that worked it was always a pain ensuring the pockets were just right for the routine. So I bit the bullet got a Gazzo pouch and use it to the fullest with great aplomb. The big 'BUT' is that while the C/B is probably my favorite piece of magic I don't perform it each and every show - it has to the be the right crowd and situation. The C/B isn't simply a quick trick but an entire mini act unto itself...will say this, the melon coming out of the hat plays big.
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
I very recently watched a Cup and Ball routine on Youtube that was heavily influenced by Gazzo.

I thought it was quite well done, and so did the audience by the applause and laughter.

HOWEVER....the comments below by obvious other performers/magicians got quite vicious. Calling him everything from a clone, to having no imagination, a thief, and things I can't write here. Comments were soon disabled by the owner and now the clip is private.

The thing is, the performer is an acquantance of Gazzo, and kept some things the same but changed others. He himself has been doing the routine for a good 2 decades.

Why I am writing this, is that there seems to be a real distaste for anyone seen doing Gazzo's routine.

WHY???????

Realistically it s probably one of the best and greatest routines a Street Performer can do. Period. And I have never met a magician that doesn't take or use other peoples material to some degree.

Rant over Smile
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
Sorry if any one is offended by what I said.

Nobody is "offended", we are just pointing out there is more to a final load than what you see on camera. Smile

In all fairness, Gazzo gets flack from magicians that he puts the entire cup in his pouch and he doesn't care either. We have both done this long enough to know that what an audience sees is not the same as what a magician sees.

-JoeJoe
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
What magicians do not see is how many people are around him. How he holds interrests. See that is the real magic.

Magicians only wants to see tricks. Most are not interested in presentations. That is hard work.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Who’s Gazzo?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Sideshow Rod
View Profile
New user
Portugal
52 Posts

Profile of Sideshow Rod
I think if people are vicious or angry about someone doing a routine that has been sold on a DVD for people to learn they
have issues. I would rather see someone do a good routine , be it their's or someone else's, than someone not
put the energy in and no-one sees a show.
I have worked the streets, theme parks, hotels, cabaret shows and toured with a cabaret tent over the years....
I just enjoy watching people entertain, let everyone do what they want and if you think "oh here comes the orange",
maybe you should go to the bar or get an ice cream, as it isn't you performing .. just moaning.
Enjoy life everyone and enjoy everyones show.. we are all better in heads and the best one is the one performing, not
criticising !
SSR
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Me....
TreyP1T
View Profile
New user
St. George, Utah
10 Posts

Profile of TreyP1T
I love Gazzo's routine, but any similarity my cups and balls routine has to his is coincidental as I developed much of my routine before I became familiar with his. Well, maybe not purely coincidental, some of the similarities no doubt come from us both mining some of the same sources, i.e. Vernon, to develop a routine. If I've copied Gazzo directly in anything it's been subconsciously.
I'm Trey, I'm a magician, a liar, and a cheat. But you can trust me!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, New User wrote:
How many people who busk and perform the cups and balls don't use Gazzo's stuff. I get that his routine is based on Vernon's cups but it seems like so many have just adopted his performance style and routine.

I don't do Gazzo's routine. I don't believe I would do it justice. I do Mark Wilson's routine from Encyclopedia of Magic with one small change. The routine is supposed to end with a potato, a lemon and an onion under the cups. I simply don't believe you can have those items in your jacket pocket without it being obvious. I changed it to three slightly larger balls made of red yarn finishing with an artificial lime as the last production.

I forgot. I don't have to tell you, I can show you;

"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
235 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj47WNoOQMw

This is my routine, partly inspired by Gazzo
Been a busker since I was 14 from San Diego; Don Driver was my mentor along with many others like Jimmy Talksalot, Sleeveless (Stephen Sloan), Bob Elliott.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Well... Can I hedge here and say that, for many years, I used Gazzo's C&B's routine STRUCTURE without actually doing Gazzo's routine, per se?

His "humour" isn't my style, and I could never get away with the antagonistic nature of his whole shtick. But I have learned so much from Gazzo at the numerous lectures of his that I have been lucky enough to attend, I feel like I owe him a great debt of gratitude!

I've since retired this routine and am working on a new one unlike most seen today. More to come,. I guess ????
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
The most unique part of my routine is the way my pouch works, If you don't already know, I am not loading the cups from the top of the pouch, but rather from under the pouch.

Nobody's pouch works like mine, as a vegan, I don't wear leather so I had to sew my own pouch from denim, it is not possible to load lemons like I do with leather. It is based on the concept of being able to pull a table cloth from under the dishes without them breaking.

After I first made the pouch, I went in early so I could film it from three angles (right, left, center). These three sets were all filmed on the same afternoon. You get a good view of the pouch work in the second two. Smile

https://youtu.be/sIMbYm_ez1Q

-JoeJoe
Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
235 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
Joejoe I like your videos a lot. Very interesting pouch and load style. Very slick. Very Very creative and smart to be able to perform without a routine. Cups and balls always took me a bit to keep track learning, haha. My routine is very structured as I use a combo set but I liked your almost matrix style assembly utilizing the clip move. My routine is linked in this thread above.

My only note, and it's clear you're seasoned so take it or leave it, but I think you could slow down just a little. Also a few moves seem jolty and could be smoothed out a little to appear more natural looking.

Thank you for sharing and again, just wonderful videos. It's clear the audience loves it.
Been a busker since I was 14 from San Diego; Don Driver was my mentor along with many others like Jimmy Talksalot, Sleeveless (Stephen Sloan), Bob Elliott.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
The speed I talk is determined by how fast people walk past me, the faster they walk the faster I talk because the faster they walk the less time they have, the less time they have the more money they have. afternoon shows are always slower than night shows. Barefoot landing is "uptown", lots of rich people who like speed.

The most important time to talk fast is the end of a trick, you have to start the next one before they decide to walk away, if I'm not talking then they are thinking, and that is something I do not want them to do - if you talk fast. you force them to pay attention.

Going slower may work on a pitch off the beaten path, but not on a boardwalk because as I'm performing people are walking past us tempting the audience to move on. There are lots of distractions at barefoot, other things to do.

As for the moves, I don't know exactly which ones you refer to, but … in June I'm awkward because I'm out of practice, July I'm as smooth as my silk hanky, by August I'm sloppy from the summer grind.

I did twenty shows a day, any given night would be good bad and ugly, there was never a night where I didn't have at least one bad show. I didn't use my performance as a factor in deciding if a show should be uploaded, I decided based on the uniqueness of the audience … which means yeah, you watch my videos you will see me screw up … I wanted these videos to be real and authentic, especially the ones from the latter part of my career when I was no longer experimenting.

I can't see very well these days, but your show sounded great, obviously not your first show, that was tight. Your a talker, just the right tempo for the environment.

What stuck out the most? you know the importance of asking and remembering names, my advice to newbies? Go to library and read one of harry lorayne's memory books to learn how to remember names. that's more important than any trick you do. Smile

-JoeJoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Does anyone not do Gazzo? (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL