The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Gimicked Decks for Beginingers (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
191 Posts

Profile of Chollet
I recently ran into a new magician who had been sold a Mirage deck. I personally don't think it is a great deck for a beginner. Not because it is difficult to use, but because to create a good effect with it requires some careful routining to keep it deceptive. I just think starting with a fairly one-dimensional gaff deck isn't the best launching point. I would agree with Poof Daddy that it is better to start off with a regular deck, and I wish the magic shop owner would have pointed this beginner to either a book or a more versatile deck (like a stripper).

I think that if someone wants to get into gaffed decks, they are best off to learn some non-gaffed material, and then move into single gaff cards such as a DB or a Short. The stripper deck is a great option too, because you can perform virtually any other standard routine with it as well.

All that said, I have probably 15 gaffed decks, so I am not against them at all! My first was a Brainwave – but again, one-dimensional and not what I would recommend to a new magician.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I don't perform anywhere except to friends, family and increasing numbers of people on the street and I just wanted to chip in here..
Get a Navy-blue or standard red ultrafine sharpie. Read up on deck marking then make a deck. You'll get some wonderful effects out of it. Just be careful not to fall into the trap of doing effects that are only explainable by a marked deck!! Read how for free here..http://www.freemagictricksandillusions.com/how-to-make-a-marked-deck.html
This one's good, very standard http://www.angelfire.com/pro/cardmarking . found via Google, these are generally the method I see in the books I've read.
Good luck!
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have an affection for the Pop-Eyed Popper Deck.

Also a force deck made of half indifferent cards and half force cards. Do a casual face up fan to show various cards, turn the deck over and fan to allow spec to pick a force card.

However - for me - all pale in comparison to John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck (definitely NOT for beginners, though Smile )
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Rajat Mittal
View Profile
New user
London
98 Posts

Profile of Rajat Mittal
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2018, Jerskin wrote:
Marked deck with a short card is all you ever need.

My thoughts exactly.

As a beginner, if you can use your gaffed deck for both regular card tricks and "gaffed" tricks, then that's ideal. You only need to carry around one deck of cards, and can practice all your new stuff all of the time. In addition, the card markings and short card will give you many "outs" if you get into trouble.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ditto Chessman's thoughts on The Mindpower Deck. If you have any interest in mentalism, this is killer. You'll have to put in some time to learn some convincing verbal management, however.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, Chessmann wrote:
I have an affection for the Pop-Eyed Popper Deck.

Also a force deck made of half indifferent cards and half force cards. Do a casual face up fan to show various cards, turn the deck over and fan to allow spec to pick a force card.

However - for me - all pale in comparison to John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck (definitely NOT for beginners, though Smile )

Agreed! The mind power deck is a great tool, but fishing is not for beginners.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I’m with Jerskin. A pack of readers and one of them as a physical locator will add so much utility to an examinable deck. Well, casually examinable, anyway. Don’t rely on the gimmicks for most of what you do. Then people are not ready for that unexpected cut to the aces or impossible seeming card divination.

I have and like the Penguin deck. I can’t compare to other commercial decks, but it is far better than my homemade readers.

Patrick
DrBrewhaha
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DrBrewhaha
Not all marked decks are created equal. Penguin's is straightforward, others have very clever marking systems but are almost impossible to use. Go with Penguin's marked deck.
Ubernutz
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Ubernutz
Can't go wrong with an ID or brainwave deck
mr.t.ricks
View Profile
New user
CARDIFF SOUTH WALES
43 Posts

Profile of mr.t.ricks
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2018, rboyd wrote:
Hi

I currently own Svengali, Stripper and Invisible Decks.

I am curious as to what other gimicked decks people would recommend for a beginner with basic card handling ability (can shuffle and use an injog but not much more).

Many thanks

hi take a look at red dragon magic they have some great items https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122485439634
regards to all

MR.T.RICKS
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2018, DrBrewhaha wrote:
Not all marked decks are created equal. Penguin's is straightforward, others have very clever marking systems but are almost impossible to use. Go with Penguin's marked deck.

Don't overlook the strength and stealth of a deck marked by you.
The link I have ^^^up^^there^^^ is a simple system but it's clear and easy to read in practice! Try it! Just make sure and use-
For Blue Decks

Navy (not standard blue) Ultrafine Sharpie
And for Red Decks..
Basic Red Ultrafine Sharpie

Those colours really do work well!
Try your own marked deck. Smile
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
mr.t.ricks
View Profile
New user
CARDIFF SOUTH WALES
43 Posts

Profile of mr.t.ricks
Take a look at the Tilley Deck by red dragon magic it great
regards to all

MR.T.RICKS
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I'm not much for the "don't use a gimmicked deck if you're a newbie". As we've seen, their use provides their own very valuable lessons.

Magic is full of gaffed items, and unless one determines to go 'gaffless,' those starting out in magic will need to deal with performing with them. I see no reason (unless the new magician is quite young) for delaying the lessons that come performing with them.

You can also do a heck of a lot of impressive magic with them! No need to bury that treasure for a time when all it takes is knowing the right time & place. People right next to you? Try the ID, it's always in your hands. Are they just out of reach of the cards? Other gaffed decks become an option. Heck, there are times you can get busted or have a trick ruined by a spec when when using an UNgimmicked deck!

Spec wants to see the deck? Say 'no'. Lot's of creative ways to do this. Does he/she get mad? Let him stew.

All that said, it would be silly not to learn at least 1 or 2 FASDIU/set-up tricks. Heck, "Up the Ante" is fantastic, and STARTS with the spec shuffling and cutting the deck!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Having poor eyesight, if you're going to get a marked deck I'd recommend the DMC Elites. You have to spring extra for the PASSPORT TO MARKED DECKS (overpriced IMHO) but that booklet does have some pretty killer routines well beyond simple divination of a chosen card. Maybe it isn't overpriced since I purchased it.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I have dodgy eyesight (even with my glasses). I tried various marked decks including DMC. I liked the DMC, but they are not cheap, and I still had to work a bit to read them. (Maybe it gets easier with practice???) Anyway, my favourite is the Maiden back decks from Penguin. Much more affordable, and very readable.

I have also found there is a hell of a lot you can do with a corner-shorted card. I bought a corner-cutter from Amazon for a few £. This is much better value than buying short or corner-short decks made by someone else. And you can use any cards you like (eg marked decks).

Overall I would suggest you use gimmicks that can withstand some inspection. There is lots you can do with a stripper deck, and it is not at all obvious to the casual eye. Unlike a Svengali or Invisible Deck.
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
I only perform for family and friends - but with repeat "customers" I was wary about marked decks. I have come to use Penguin Marked deck as my everyday deck - and as only a few of the tricks use the marking there is not too much heat. It has yet to be picked up on. I also put in a breather crimp (On a card and on a joker) and two corner short cards shorted on either diagonal. I don't often use them, but it makes me smile (!) knowing I am getting away with having them there! Slip in a packet or a coin trick and you have an excuse for a deck switch.
Cub Sines
View Profile
New user
Finland (Ostrobothnia)
50 Posts

Profile of Cub Sines
After reading through this thread, I didn't find any mention about multitude deck by Vincent Hedan (although the gaff deck is over 100 years old), that gaff isn't just a one trick wonder. With that you can learn the 9 consecutive trick routine (which contains a variation of out of this world in the middle, so the deck has been shuffled multiple times) & 7 bonus tricks, but also create your own tricks. It doesn't IMHO require that much of skills, if you can do a riffle shuffle and overhand shuffle, you can work with that gaff. And when it comes about spectators wanting to examine any gaffed deck, just learn deck switch (there are even gimmicks for that too, if you want a clean 'open' switch).

On another point that beginners should avoid gaffed decks, I both agree and disagree. Most of the gaffed decks you can only perform that one specific trick and if you don't have anything to follow after that, you might be in trouble. Then again, if marked deck is considered as a gaff deck, then beginners should absolutely learn tricks with them.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2021, Cub Sines wrote:
...if marked deck is considered as a gaff deck, then beginners should absolutely learn tricks with them.

I disagree that a beginner should start with a marked deck. Two valid reasons IMO:
1.) It's difficult enough for a seasoned magician to work with a marked deck without tipping to the onlookers that he/she is looking for marks . This will be even more obvious if the performer is not experienced in handling these special cards. It will take time to acquire this skill.

2.) Whether correct or not, the default explanation in the minds of many lay persons, especially if you are using your own deck and have fooled them, is that you have marked cards. This is akin to the standard explanation in the minds of many audience members that all major large scale illusions is "it's all done with mirrors and trap doors".

You might want to consider investing your time now with books (and video) to learn card basics and then you will have the insight to evaluate the need and/or effectiveness of "Trick Cards".

Above all, have FUN with your Magic!

Julie
Cub Sines
View Profile
New user
Finland (Ostrobothnia)
50 Posts

Profile of Cub Sines
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2021, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2021, Cub Sines wrote:
...if marked deck is considered as a gaff deck, then beginners should absolutely learn tricks with them.

I disagree that a beginner should start with a marked deck. Two valid reasons IMO:
1.) It's difficult enough for a seasoned magician to work with a marked deck without tipping to the onlookers that he/she is looking for marks . This will be even more obvious if the performer is not experienced in handling these special cards. It will take time to acquire this skill.

2.) Whether correct or not, the default explanation in the minds of many lay persons, especially if you are using your own deck and have fooled them, is that you have marked cards. --

Not start with a marked deck, of course not. Always have some techniques before jumping to any gaffed decks. And like any trick/gaff practice is needed before showing anything. I always mark my own decks, never tried any commercial ones. That way, I can easily read the markings IMO.

And about your second concern, I have only been accused of using a marked deck a few times, and I have given the deck for a brief examination. My marking system won't pass the riffle test, but I don't think that many lay persons would even know about riffle test, or at least here in Finland.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Take a look at Pop Haydn's Six Card trick video..great effect, no gaffs and no difficult moves.

Daryl's Card reveals are full of relatively easy to do card illusions that do not require gaffed decks.

The pamphlet "202 Methods of Forcing" by Annemann gives lots of ideas that do not require a gaffe.

Consider a stacked deck, if someone wants to examine it, a quick shuffle or cut and it is back to being "normal".

Another easy to use gaffe for a beginner is a card punch and, if done well, they are very hard to detect unless you know what you are looking.
for.

I would agree that m*****s require a lot of practice to avoid tipping the gaffe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Gimicked Decks for Beginingers (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL