The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Rocky Raccoon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dolini
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Dolini
Fellow Magicians,
I just purchased Rocky. I found the quality of Rocky to be excellent. There are other animals, but I prefer the raccoon. Rocky's appearance is excellent. I have already started to work my little friend into my act. Any comments from owners of Rocky, please let me know whether you have enjoyed the raccoon as much as I anticipate doing. (Magic Master)

Dolini

PS - He doesn't eat much, and so far he has not mentioned wanting a piece of the action. A tie Coon he is not.
John O'Shea Dolan
johnosheadolan@hotmail.com
Drew from Spotlight
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
124 Posts

Profile of Drew from Spotlight
I don’t use a Raccoon in my act I have the Rabbit. I do a lot of children’s shows and they just love it. If you learn to handle it properly (make it come to life) it’s even difficult for the parents to tell it’s only a puppet.

If you are using it in front of children please don’t make the mistake of treating it badly. I mean don’t just throw it into your case or bang it on the table. The children really think that this is a live animal and you have to treat it as such. Many times after the show they come up and ask to see him and pet him.

Rocky is a great investment in your act – treat him well.
Dolini
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Dolini
Drew,
Thanks for the response. I saw a video where the animal was hit on a table and I felt the some way you did. This is not a good approach. Do you have him do any magic? If so would you share.

Dolini Smile
John O'Shea Dolan
johnosheadolan@hotmail.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
John Mulholland used to say that you could always tell a spring animal from a real one because a spring animal moved more!
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
:magicrabbit:
"Who? Me?"
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
I second being loving to your (spring) animal, it's morally good for kids to see you behaving in the correct manner,
also you can actualy damage rocky if you treat him badly. The spring inside may dislodge and he will look like he has a spine problem.

Mine was abused by a previous owner, luckily mine was rescued, given shelter,
care and attention, and over time has come to be his former self and an established part of the family.

Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Rockys.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I left mine in the back seat of my car once, and a mother and her young daughter were looking at it through the window when I came out, trying to figure out if it was sleeping because he looked so real, even just lying there still. Rocky is a great prop, and I use him in appearances, vanishes, etc., instead of a live dove or rabbit. Much less maintenance! I agree with all of you as far as kid shows, but in adult shows I have used the (Williamson?) gag of no live animals allowed and the adults love it! As with any effect, you have to tailor it to your audience and be sensitive, but I wouldn't totally dismiss that particular gag if it was in the right situation.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
What kind of things do you have Rocky do in your act?

How long do you perform with him?

What kind of jokes or lines do you use with him?

Do you have any teaching video's you would recommend?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I made a mistake and once purchased a white "Rocky" (at least that is what I was told). It works fine, but lacks the distinctive real appearance, since the white doesn't allow for the contrast etc. So my advice is stay with natural appearing ones. They have more personality.

I also have a very old black and white spring skunk, who was old and abused when I rescued him from the bottom of a box of old magic, and I have allowed him to "live?" a comfortable existence. I think he is actually real skunk fir, (or some kind of real fir) and I just don't have the heart to keep him working.

But a regualr old Rocky with natural colorings is a great addition to almost any act, for old or young.

I throw mine up in the air a few times, and talk about how he acts like he doesn't like it, but I think he really loves it! And then one time when he comes down, I catch him up above my head - bring him over to my neck and begin struggling with him, as he apparently is going for my throat. I then talk about how maybe he doesn't like it after all. This is a lot like when you are trying to get close to someone and they say no! If someone says No, they mean no! Respect their feelings.

I don't do this one for little children, but teens love it.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
I posted an idea in the comedy section of this forum about Rocky. Let me know if anyone tries it. It may not be your cup of tea..
MagicRyan
View Profile
New user
NH
39 Posts

Profile of MagicRyan
Has anyone used, purchased, handled the ZIG,ZAG,ROCKY...

Looks like a fun little bit of buissness... might be cute in my birthday show...

I know how it's done...

I just want to know if the work man's ship is worth the price tag!!!
The Simply Magic Ryan Mahoney
www.simplymagic.net
Ryan@simplymagic.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Rocky Raccoon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL