The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Scrawny hands and palming (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Profile of andrea.corelli
Hi worthy people!
This may actually pertain to palming anything, not just cards, but I guess with cards is the most difficult thing. I am very slim, and my hands are really scrawny. The kind of hands that when you stick together all the fingers, there is still a lot of room between a finger and the other (talking about up to 3mm between forefinger and middle finger, for example). I have gone through the whole 1st Card Collage and I am about to start Vol.2, but this scares me a lot. I would like an honest feedback about this: am I wasting my time studying card magic with this "physical" limit? Please be straightforward, I won't feel offended.

Many thanks!
Andrea
In the avatar... I am the one falling Smile
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
There is a lot more to card magic than palming. Also, there is a lot more to palming than a technique that may expose your "windows". And don't forget misdirection. But don't limit yourself to Card College, either. Magic Café's VIP Harry Lorayne has written many excellent card magic books; and Close Up Card Magic might be a good place to start. May I add also that there are many card magicians who have more severe physical limitations than your own, who have added greatly to the art of card magic. So, it's only a waste of time if you consider it so. Good luck and practice! Lynn
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Thanks Lynn, having no mentor (and literally no chance to find one for now) this encouragement is gold for me!
camron
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of camron
Andrea,

when you palm, try not to draw attention to your hand. pay more attention to directing attention and structure of the trick, to make sure there's no heat on you. the length of time you hold out usually isn't too long either, so you should be alright... hope this helps in some way..

Justin
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Do the gaps between fingers disappear when you relax and curl your fingers? I find the fingers can close more to one another when they are curled. Plus, you should curl your fingers when palming, it's more natural.
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 4, 2018, SimonCard wrote:
Do the gaps between fingers disappear when you relax and curl your fingers? I find the fingers can close more to one another when they are curled. Plus, you should curl your fingers when palming, it's more natural.

Not completely. In order to make them disappear they have to be in a position that would bend the card to much up to creating an angle in the paper. If it makes any sense I can post pictures in different positions, but I don’t really want to annoy nor bore the other users Smile
EagerlyLearning
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of EagerlyLearning
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Very ingeresting, thanks!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 6, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Https://youtu.be/Ew9jxdy4WDo

Any particular reason why you posted this video? I am sorry but I don’t get it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I thought it might be helpful. I have large windows in my right hand as well, but as you can see, I have managed to mitigate this natural hindrance.
Sorry you didn't find it helpful, I will take it down.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Aldo Columbini once said that you will rarely find any adult whose hands are smaller than a playing card.

Get Gary Kurtz' Leading with Your Head book, that will help tremendously with his section on active and relaxed states

Have fun with it all
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Good call Fonda! As you can see I don't have large hands. Much great advice from Mr. Kurtz. I met him at the Stewart James Tribute in 1990. Amazing stuff.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Magicfish, could you a film a video in better light with an emphasis on the windows in your fingers? And maybe go into more detail on HOW you mitigate the issue? I think that's what OP was asking for
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 6, 2018, magicfish wrote:
I thought it might be helpful. I have large windows in my right hand as well, but as you can see, I have managed to mitigate this natural hindrance.
Sorry you didn't find it helpful, I will take it down.

It really looks beautiful, but I can't really see any issues with your hands. Here are pictures of my hands, so that you understand what I mean:

Hopefully I am not violating any forum policy by posting these pitcures...

Click here to view attached image.
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Try curling your fingers in the way more like finger palming a coil at the base of your pinky and ring fingers, i.e. curling with a gradient more towards the palms with fingers closer to the pinky.
andrea.corelli
View Profile
Regular user
Milano area, Italy
107 Posts

That's what I do, but there is still a large window between the forefinger and the middle finger unfortunately Smile
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Now I don't know. maybe just use Tenkai palm or quickly move it into flat palm position after you send the card in full palm position?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
A couple important considerations.

One, don't discount the natural shadows that exist when something is held in the palm. Unless you're performing with your hands directly under a lamp or other strong light source, there WILL be darkness between your fingers. Couple that with darker backs -- like blue Bicycles, for instance.

Two, remember that the backs of your hands should rarely be facing your audience. If they are (such as during a color change or a side steal), choreograph your actions so your palming hand is constantly in motion. Otherwise, they should rest in what Ascanio termed the Shadow Zone.
mrjinglesusa
View Profile
New user
Fairfax
57 Posts

Profile of mrjinglesusa
My hands are similar to your andrea (but my big window is between index and middle) and I struggle a bit with card palming. Reading this thread with interest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Scrawny hands and palming (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL