The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Crystal Clever Noise (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
Has anyone on here figured out how to silence this thing when the gimmick is engaged? If not for that issue, this is a perfect little prop!
"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why you're wrong!"
reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
I have not had a problem with the sound,every one just thinks the tube is snapping on to the base.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
It IS a perfect little prop. Smile
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2018, reed kammerer wrote:
I have not had a problem with the sound,every one just thinks the tube is snapping on to the base.

Agreed, this is an example of: since we know the mechanics and hear the noise, so will everyone else. But they don't.
Sure, they hear a noise. Magic can be noisy, it doesn't change the miracle.

PS- there has been tons of conversation here about handling the noise issues. Just search for it.

Cheers,
Ed
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
Well, I have added a thin piece of perfectly fitted black felt to the inside top of the tube and it made a great improvement!
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Adding some felt to reduce the noise, great idea! Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I prefer adhesive velvet... but that's just me...Smile
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Excellent way to 'cover' the noise: see here (starts at 0:28) - it's in Dutch but you'll get the idea.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
There's no reason to add anything to cover the noise. People expect there to be a sound when two pieces of plastic hit one another (the cover an the base).
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I have never understood why anyone is concerned about the noise Crystal Cleaver makes. You want that noise! How can the miracle take place without that noise? How can the sword slice through the plastic and metal without a sound? It can’t. So, never mind the noise.
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
The noise in question is made when putting the tube over the ring case and pushing down to "set" it for the trick. Not the noise made during the penetration, which, as you pointed out, is to be expected!
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Like RK said, it is expected for two pieces of plastic to make noise when they come together.

May I add that when you place the cover onto the base, it is best to do it in a fashion which is not careful and calculated as if you are avoiding any contact.

Please keep in mind that you know what is actually taking place but your audience does not so should not be dwelled on by the performer.

I have performed Crystal Cleaver more times than I can count and never had anyone show any concern about the noise. Their focus is on how the heck you just did that!
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

I just read that thread and I am surprised by all of the concern about that noise. After performing the trick a zillion times, I never had a problem or concern.

You know what it is but your spectator does not. If you make some noise with the cover as you place it on the base, the problem is solved. Just do not slide it down onto the base carefully/ surgically.

Has anyone here ever had a spectator ask you what that noise was?
dbox
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of dbox
I think most spectators just assume the noise is from it being plastic and putting it over the box. At the point they don't even know what the trick is yet (the way I perform anyway) so don't suspect anything is up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Crystal Clever Noise (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL