The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mint Box by Daniel Garcia (96 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1052 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
OK... I've been using the Mint Box in my close up magic, in real life gigs... IT KILLS. Simple as that. I just got back from working 3 trade shows and a private party. I used the Mint box in all my close up shows. It is now officially one of my workers.

My original concern was how easy it is to break. I admit its not easy to break, but if you use it long enough, you will break it. Not too long ago I did accidently leave a box "loaded" for more that 48 hours (a published no-no) and that ruined the gimmick. Fortunately, like others have done, I found the right materials and learned how to make more boxes. I have back ups and boxes for red and blue back cards. Not rocket science to make one. The method is clever and I think that $60.00 for a worker is a fair price. They have to be hand made, so I would not expect to pay less.

Why I like it compared to other card to impossible locations...

1) it takes very little pocket space.
2) it's very organic and innocent looking
3) you show it empty then set it right in front of your spectators.
4) you can do multiple appearances in it. - which I do using my business card trick.
5) It's a nice variation from card to shoe - which is also one of my workers, but not always appropriate.

For more formal settings, or for parlor, my personal favorite is Kozmo's Jar. I like Kozmo's jar (with Garret Thomas's handling) because the card is in plain sight the entire time, nothing beats that! Not as practical for strolling however.

The Mint box has my highest recommendation - I've tested it in the trenches... (as Paul Green would say)
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
LankyHobo
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
This looks great and I love Daniel Garcia. But it seemed to me quite similar to Burn Notice by Takel. Anyone have both and can compare the two? Thanks!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XiYXVf2jnlQ
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2075 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Ya one is a mint box and one is a match box.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2137 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I know there are differences, but is anyone still using Lightning Box by Bob Kohler.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1506 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
Need instructional video to make a new gimmick. Purchased on Penguinmagic ... I have the material.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1421 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I use Lightning Box for one trick and I have my own Mini Altoids box thing I do. This is pretty great though!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
GusGarcia
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of GusGarcia
Finally took the $60 plunge... excited to receive this on Thursday.
WooG
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of WooG
Got this one over a week ago. Really liking how it’s workig out. Very practical. Constructing your own gimmicks if you have the material is not too difficult if you have the product in front of you.
How
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
103 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On May 23, 2018, WooG wrote:
Got this one over a week ago. Really liking how it’s workig out. Very practical. Constructing your own gimmicks if you have the material is not too difficult if you have the product in front of you.

How long did it take you to construct gimmick?
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. - Dunninger
EZrhythm
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
How is everyone's box holding out? Any issues?
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
WooG
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of WooG
For me, there was some trial and error to make a new gimmick look the same. After everything was sorted, to make a new one is about 30 mins, only because you have to be a bit careful to make the gimmick. I’ve been now hawing my own and also the supplied gimmick and have no issues with any “wear and tear”

Also I would strongly recommend to purchase the product itself and only construct gimmicks after if you want some other “options”
How
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
103 Posts

Profile of How
Just ordered mine and looking forward to it.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. - Dunninger
How
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
103 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2018, MR Effecto wrote:
Ya one is a mint box and one is a match box.

So what’s the difference? Also, what about mystery box?
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Saw this done a few weeks ago at Magicbox & could not believe how good it looked.

Fantastic.

Mike Donoghue
john G
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of john G
I have a super cool transpo that I came up with using mint box but works with any switching device so pm me for details
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mint Box by Daniel Garcia (96 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL